Home Testing Forum
Options

CloudFlare and craptchas suck flaming rocks in hell

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, since I seemingly can't get past the craptcha codes to send this PM, here goes.

(Also can't preview a message, but I can post and edit. Go figure.)

Hey, Joe.

So you like the "creepy old ads" idea? Twice I've kicked the idea around. Thought it would make a fun scrapbook (with appropriately snarky commentary added, of course.)

By now you've probably Googled "creepy old ads" and found some funny examples.

You should check out James Lileks' various projects at lileks.com, particularly the "Institute of Official Cheer". Lileks' commentary makes me literally LOL until the tears come, sometimes. I think he is a friend of Dave Barry's.

Anyway, if you find yourself interested in this, PM me your address and you shall have two old ads to start off your collection.

Here's a 1943 Borden ad.
It's not as creepy as some, but the anthropomorphized cattle boasting about how Borden uses animal research was a little creepy. And the fact that they used a rat in a food ad. So I bought it. But what would I do with it? Yours if you want it.

I also thought this 1869 "Medical Electrician" ad was cool.
"Cures any disease that can be cured". Uhm-hmmm. Suuure. Note that the good doctor was located near a "clairvoyant & medium". Plus I love the illustration of his apparatus. Who knows what the image of Ben Franklin had to do wit- oh- wait- I get it. Electricity. Also yours if you want it.

Here are more I had watchlisted. Knock yerself out, if you're so inclined. Collecting this kind of ephemera is super cheap, compared to EID MAR denarii! image

1908 Ad Mrs Margaret Anderson Medical Quackery Alcohol Cure Temperance YPHJ1

1924 Ad Primset Protruding Ears Medical Quackery Children Roaring Twenties Funny

1900 STILES Bison Buffalo Skulls Horns Novelties Magazine Ad Electric Light 2366

And this one was just too cool, in a creepy sort of way. An 1800 (not 1880, as the eBay title says) runaway slave ad. Seems that less than a year after the Father of Our Country died, some of his Mount Vernon slaves ran away, and someone placed an ad on Martha’s behalf.

RUNAWAY SLAVE Mount Vernon Martha Washington NEGRO Notice Ad 1880 Old Newspaper

Hm. The listings have ended, but some like the Martha Washington newspaper were relisted.

There's a lot of odd stuff like this out there. It appealed to my sense of irony somehow. Think it would make a cool collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.