Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card Shops in Austin TX

I'm in Austin for a few days on business. Any great card shops I can visit while in town?
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• There are three in town, in order of my preference:

Kenny's Collectibles - Seriously impressive store in a not very impressive location. Best prices in town on singles, unopened, and supplies. Tons of MacFarlane figures and jerseys. The staff is very friendly. An overwhelming number of die-cast toy cars (Matchbox, Hot Wheels). You won't believe how many they have. 440 E Street Elmo Rd Austin, TX (512) 748-9718
    Card Traders of Austin - Very nice guys with a good amount of inventory. A bit chaotic if you aren't used to it. Lots of old commons here for vintage set builders. A little higher in price for new unopened than Kenny's but good people to deal with. It's probably Magic: The Gathering cards that keep the place in business though, sadly. Spicewood/183 Center, 8650 Spicewood Springs Rd #128 Austin, TX (512) 250-0958
    Austin Sports Connection - Small, dimly-lit, sad store. The guy that owns and runs it is very aloof and you get the impression that, if you aren't a regular, you are bothering him by your presence. Each item has two prices: A non-member price and a member price. You have to pay $20 a year to be a member and get the lower price. The store in town that has the most modern game-used and auto singles, but I'd rather buy on eBay. Burnet Place Center, 8312 Burnet Rd # 119 Austin, TX (512) 458-6433

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    That is a perfect summary. I will add:

Kenny is a really good dude that is fair to deal with. It is more of a modern pack busting type of place. Don't expect much PSA type material. Worth the visit.

I love the old dude at Card Traders. Place is a mess but that is part of the charm. I agree that I have no idea how they stay open. Friendly staff.

Don't waste your time at Austin Sports Connection. Rude and standoffish. Plus it feels like a bunch of cheap insert crap.
    Hook'em
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. I tried to drop by Kenny's but they were closed by the time I got there, traffic was really backed up. I called because I didn't see hours on the bldg and we talked for a few - seemed like a nice guy. Will have to miss out on this trip, flying out tomorrow.
  • If you haven't yet, Torchy's Tacos on your way out - you won't regret it.

• << <i>If you haven't yet, Torchy's Tacos on your way out - you won't regret it. >>

+1,000,000

I had a few minutes in the morning so I stopped by a torchys. I ordered just one taco because I'd already eaten - a mr. orange. When I got back to the hotel I opened the bag and had a chuckle at the size of the taco, should have ordered 4! Lol. It was really, really good though.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you haven't yet, Torchy's Tacos on your way out - you won't regret it. >>

We got a Torchy's here in Katy last year...Trailer Park Extra Trashy please.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

I've been living in Austin now since July '16 and remembered this thread. I'm going to make some time to stop by these places tomorrow. Can't believe I've waited this long.

• shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Awesome thread thanks Guys! I moved to Austin a few mos ago and have only been in Austin sports connection which turned me off a little. I'll check out the others

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been in sports card traders of Austin a few times. It was above average

Looking for FB HOF Rookies