Home Sports Talk

Chip Kelly - Genius or Madman?

cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
Looks like Chip is at it again. I think Evan looks good in green and white and I know a team in need of a quality guard that has cap room. image

Article pulled from nbcsports.com

<< <i>Eagles may cut Evan Mathis if they can’t trade him
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 24, 2015, 7:44 AM EDT

Getty ImagesChip Kelly may not be done getting rid of the Eagles’ expensive veterans.

Evan Mathis, one of the best guards in the NFL, may get cut if the Eagles can’t trade him, according to Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com.

Kelly has already traded away LeSean McCoy and Nick Foles, allowed Jeremy Maclin to walk in free agency and released Cary Williams, Todd Herremans and Trent Cole. If you’re a veteran player who was on the team before Kelly arrived two years ago, your job isn’t safe in Philadelphia.

The 33-year-old Mathis is still a good player, but his cap hits of $6.5 million this year and $7 million next year appear to be more than Kelly is willing to devote to any guard, even one of the best in the NFL. The flip side is, Mathis has indicated that he thinks he’s underpaid and would like a new contract. So the two sides are clearly far apart in their perceptions of Mathis’s worth.

It might be time for both sides to move on. A conclusion Kelly has reached about many of his players this offseason. >>

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to this question will be decided after the season plays out, if they make a strong run and make the playoffs then he is a genius, if they have a worse record than 2014 he is an idiot plain and simple.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Age, salary and injuries are a tough trifecta to overcome in today's NFL.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone named Chip is an idiot by default
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I said it before, and I'll say it again- I'm not judging Chip's moves, because the last college coach to come to the NFL raised eyebrows and was questioned with all of his transactions (whether trades, releases, FA signings) and it has worked out ok for that team.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The answer to this question will be decided after the season plays out, if they make a strong run and make the playoffs then he is a genius, if they have a worse record than 2014 he is an idiot plain and simple. >>

This is about what I was thinking when I saw the question. He was successful in college so let's see after the next year or two how his team is doing. Then we can answer the question.
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I wish there was a Chip Kelly every offseason. NFL needs more zany sometimes. have loved every minute of it.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    He's awesome!

He will continue the long standing tradition of the Eagles not winning anything noteworthy in the modern football era.

Lol!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's awesome!

He will continue the long standing tradition of the Eagles not winning anything noteworthy in the modern football era.

Lol! >>

Just like Romo and the Cowboys after Aikman.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He's awesome!

Lol! >>

Just like Romo and the Cowboys after Aikman. >>

You're officially off our Christmas card mailing list.