Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Latvia: gold 5-lati proof, 2003

Latvia: gold 5-lati proof, 2003

KM 59, .999 gold/.0400 oz. Mintage: 20,000 est. NGC PF70 UCAM, Cert.# 2794652-012. Ex- "Stork" (Collectors Universe), 03/11/2015.

I've always liked the classic Latvian silver coins with the image of the Latvian folk maiden "Milda" on them, but have never had one. This 2003 NCLT issue reprises that design, albeit in small proof gold format rather than the original silver crown size. While it's only a small gold coin (1/20 ounce), I thought it was pretty, and it adds something from the 21st century to my "Eclectic Box of 20".

(Recertification pending, 03/17/15: I cracked this out of the NGC holder and submitted it to PCGS, mostly to get TrueView images of it.)

NGC cert verification
NGC/Krause priceguide trends

Wikipedia links:
Latvian lats
Commemorative coins of Latvia
Latvian maiden (Currency Wiki)

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to get one of those, and the 2012 commemorative 5 Lati in silver - just can never seem to find a seller that has both and don't want to pay separate shipping. Even when the Soviets overran Latvia in 1940 they gathered up all the 5 Lati they could and put them in vaults until ca. 1960 when they started selling them to foreign collectors.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it imageimageimage

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! Did they issue this in a 1 troz size?
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet! Did they issue this in a 1 troz size? >>

Just these little ones, as far as I know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Nice NEWP, buddy! Love proof gold. No matter how large or small. But, I don't think it's a secret that I'm a fan of modern proof strikes ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya, Nessie. Where have you been?

Yeah, I sort of thought of you when I decided to add a modern or two to the Box of 20.

Like you, I'm all about the proof strikes, and proof gold so much the better.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Oh gosh, it's been so long I don't even remember all the excuses. I've just been busy working my @$$ off and trying to enjoy my son who is about to turn 2 years old. So many times I wanted to post a cool coin or write-up or photos (even uploaded some to Flickr for posting) but just never had the time to follow through.

I have missed you guys and gals, though. For what it's worth, I have thought of you and the boards at least twice a week imageimageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MedveDMedveD Posts: 35 ✭✭

Awaiting mine from PCGS

Name: Mihail Božko From: Riga, Latvia Languages: Russian, English
    WWW: My site
    Main Numismatic Interests: The Baltic States, Euro coins, USSR, Modern Russia