Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My favorite team: The Ambassadors/Junior Redwings/Whalers Thread

After 25 years, last night was the final game ever played by the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL. Peter Karmanos sold the team, and they will become the Flint Firebirds for the 2015-16 season. I have been a huge fan and going to games for over 15 years. I have had lots of fun going to games over the years and have some great memories. I decided to start this thread to share the memorabilia and cards I have collected over the years. I will be posting things I currently have along with new pick ups. Even though the team is gone, the collecting never ends. This thread may not be interesting for some, but if you are a passionate team collector, you'll understand.

Also, here is my game worn 90-91 Paul Mitton jersey. He was the first Captain in franchise history:
imageimage

Comments

• jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Hey - keep up with the thread! I live about 10 minutes away from the stadium...hate to see them move to Flint!

I've had fun going to the games as well, Ambassadors, Jr. Wings and Whalers alike. Pretty cool watching NHL'ers before they made the show.

I've collected some stuff over the years - will be checking in with the thread to see what cool stuff ya have.

Jerry
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for them to be in Flint, live down the road from the stadium. Went to plenty of Flint Spirit/General games when they were in the IHL.
  • rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I just had some more cards pop this week and picked up another game worn jersey. Will post picks when they come in.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Pat LaFontaine play for the Ambassadors- or if you really want to go back- Detroit Compuware circa 1981-82? I remember seeing the team photo years ago but can't remember where I saw it.

Didn't know Plymouth was moving. That makes 2 OHL teams moving what with Belleville moving to Hamilton.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Didn't Pat LaFontaine play for the Ambassadors- or if you really want to go back- Detroit Compuware circa 1981-82? I remember seeing the team photo years ago but can't remember where I saw it.

Didn't know Plymouth was moving. That makes 2 OHL teams moving what with Belleville moving to Hamilton. >>

That would have been at the midget level. He played junior in Verdun in the QMJHL.
    PMKAY, thanks for adding that. My collection only covers the OHL team owned by Karmanos. They were the Ambassadors 90-92, the Junior Redwings 92-95, and the Whalers ever since. Also, I was very surprised by the Belleville move. It was last minute and not many expected it. Feel bad for their fans. We at least had some idea here in Plymouth. The team had "quietly" been for sale for a few years. Rumors really started ramping up before this season that the team was moving. Ultimately it was sold when Karmanos couldn't get Chatham, ON to pay for a new arena. Wish instead of buying the Sarnia Sting, David Legwand and Derian Hatcher would have tried to buy Plymouth. Maybe they inquired, but would have been nice since Legwand is a former Whaler, and they both played in the Compuware youth program.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>PMKAY, thanks for adding that. My collection only covers the OHL team owned by Karmanos. They were the Ambassadors 90-92, the Junior Redwings 92-95, and the Whalers ever since. Also, I was very surprised by the Belleville move. It was last minute and not many expected it. Feel bad for their fans. We at least had some idea here in Plymouth. The team had "quietly" been for sale for a few years. Rumors really started ramping up before this season that the team was moving. Ultimately it was sold when Karmanos couldn't get Chatham, ON to pay for a new arena. Wish instead of buying the Sarnia Sting, David Legwand and Derian Hatcher would have tried to buy Plymouth. Maybe they inquired, but would have been nice since Legwand is a former Whaler, and they both played in the Compuware youth program.

Here is the first card I had graded from the 1990-91 7th Inning Sketch OHL set:
    image >>

Those cards are hard to get 10s on. I recently subbed about a dozen I thought were 10s and went 1/12
    I just had 2 pop of #103 Paul Doherty. One came back a 10, the other a 9. I will post a pick when they are in hand.
    Ok, here is my new 2011-12 Rickard Rakell game worn jersey. Rakell is currently playing for the Anaheim Ducks and has a stat line of 64gp, 7g, 22a, 29pts. Also here are a couple pics of him wearing the jersey in the 2011-12 season. First pic has a photo match to the black mark on the front near the OHL patch and the collar. Really excited to have this one, as Rakell was one of my favorites when he was here.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
    Just received a few more cards from a group submission. Overall I was pleased with the grades.
    The mail came with my Collector's Club free submissions. I sent in all jersey/patch cards. Since these are all going in my personal collection, I wasn't super worried with the grades. I was happy how they turned out for the most part.

Here are the 10's:
    imageimage
    imageimage

Here are the 9's:
    imageimage
    imageimage

And the rest:
    imageimageimage
    Finally was able to add a jersey from this last season of the Whalers. 2014-15 Danny Vanderwiel with the 25th Anniversary patch.
    imageimage
  • So Seguin played for the Whalers?
    Yes, Seguin played 2 seasons in Plymouth, 2008-09 and 2009-10. It was really a treat getting to see a talent like him for those 2 years. Unfortunately, I was never able to get a game worn Plymouth jersey of his. I was outbid at the team auction for a first season jersey and I stayed away from his second year shirts cause the team was pumping them out like crazy for $500 each. There are a lot of 1-2 game worn jerseys out there from 2009-10. Couldn't justify paying that much for a jersey with no visible signs of wear.

I was able to get his Subway Super Series jersey from NHL.com auctions. Didn't mind paying more for this one cause of the uniqueness of it.

imageimage
  • Very cool!
    Picked this jersey up a couple of months ago in the Gameworn.net auction. It's a 2005-06 Tom Sestito with the 10th Anniversary of Compuware Arena patches on both shoulders. It is also autographed on the back. Sestito has played for Columbus, Philly, and Vancouver and just received a tryout offer from Pittsburgh. Sestito has always played a physical style and has amassed 432 penalty minutes in 137 NHL games.

imageimage
    Just received some new Whalers cards back from PSA. I had been working on all the parallels of Will Bitten. Only one I don't have is the gold 1/1. I have never even seen it for sale. If anyone sees it, let me know. Here are the cards:

Regular Auto, not numbered

Blue Auto, 2/25

Purple Auto, 9/15

USA Auto, 6/10

Canada Auto, 10/10

Green Auto, 6/10

Red Auto, 1/5
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Will you now collect Flint Firebirds cards now that the Whalers are no longer a team??

<< <i>Will you now collect Flint Firebirds cards now that the Whalers are no longer a team?? >>

Nope. Not interested in the Firebirds at all. New owner, new city, it's a new start for them. I am not going to Flint for games since it is a good hour drive away. I may go to Windsor now and then to get my OHL fix, but will not root for the Spits either. I'm a fan without a team now. I will just focus on my Whalers jersey and card collection. Try to fill some holes in it and get some more cards slabbed.
    Some new Whalers items added to my collection. Another game worn jersey and a few cards.

2014-15 Sean Callaghan Blue Jersey w/A and 25th Anniversary patch:

Will Bitten cards from 2014 Heroes & Prospects:
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection!
    Where is the LaRose stuff?
    Other than some cards from the team sets, I don't have any other LaRose stuff. I wish I had one of his jerseys, but he was a fan favorite during his time in Plymouth and his jerseys don't come up for sale very often. I have only seen one for sale in the last 7-8 years.