Home Precious Metals
Options

hOw ArE sIlVeR sAlEs GoInG ?

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tell me. I'm not a bullion dealer.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slower than Mike Tyson at a spelling bee.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Slower than Mike Tyson at a spelling bee. >>

This. Extremely slow.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Sure is a lot of chatter and rub and questions about what's going on…. and for those not really in the market, I don't know how they are.

Guess the purity factor. How are the GOLD buys ?
    The bank has a vested interest. The banker doesn't care, either way. Nor does the landlord.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This. Extremely slow. >>

Thats the apathy ive been sensing. I like it!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales might be low but I don't think demand is low . I went to buy 90% today and got the last $2.50 available. I had to buy some Canadian to make up the difference of what I wanted to spend. image

the 90% was at 12x the canadian was at melt and there was very little of that only 4 80% dollar coins . I left with money in my pocket which is unusual for me so I spent it at the fish pier image

The store owner said people are calling or stopping by constantly looking for junk silver. He has ASE's and he is able to get $22 each for them image That is crazy high
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Entrenched in stalemate. They got it, but wont sell because they are brainwashed that "it has to go up, so I'll just hold it." It's really getting to the point of I'm going to spend my time and money doing something else.
    Spot needs to break really hard one way or the other to loosen the death grip of them trying to squeeze every last dime out of a 4 digit transaction. This slow death decline has them thinking unclearly.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This. Extremely slow. >>

Thats the apathy ive been sensing. I like it!! >>

My comment refers to trying to sell here and other free venues. I have no idea if sales at shops or shows are slow or not.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Entrenched in stalemate. They got it, but wont sell because they are brainwashed that "it has to go up, so I'll just hold it." It's really getting to the point of I'm going to spend my time and money doing something else.
    Spot needs to break really hard one way or the other to loosen the death grip of them trying to squeeze every last dime out of a 4 digit transaction. This slow death decline has them thinking unclearly. >>

??? Where u been for 3+ years... Spot if that's your marker, has broken hard and the move is down, what do you want ?, the last 3% of value like the infamous "dollar is down 97%" talk... Pm's are down huge, it's major bear market its not a dream or a nightmare, even though many have gone insane, it's reality, and it's playing live like a Broadway show... Everywhere your eyes can see, and to boot, there is a huge amount of product available, you can buy all you want, no restrictions, no lack of supply...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    That's doesn't mean however than no one is making any big time moolah, au contraire...
    And has any real major players gone belly up? Tulving? He was minor league compared to the big boys, not even more like pee wee...
    None have ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    The jist of the vibe I've been sensing is that people needing to sell now are very reluctant to do so. Those (many) wanting to buy are sitting on enough metal already and are decreasing the amount/frequency they are buying at current pricing.

I have been holding mostly cash for a while now. I think we'll have another dip in the nearish future which will kick-start some more panic selling, followed by a big swing upward from those hoarding cash right now.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying all month to sell some silver quarters and no takers so far.. what, no one wants to pay a "premium"? I paid a "premium" when I bought them, how come I can't get it back?? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying all month to sell some silver quarters and no takers so far.. what, no one wants to pay a "premium"? I paid a "premium" when I bought them, how come I can't get it back?? image

Just looking at one website, the buy/sell spread is around 9.6% for 90% quarters.

The buy price premium to spot is 2.2%.

The sell price premium to spot is 11.8%.

What premium did you pay? What premium are you asking?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been trying all month to sell some silver quarters and no takers so far.. what, no one wants to pay a "premium"? I paid a "premium" when I bought them, how come I can't get it back?? image

Just looking at one website, the buy/sell spread is around 9.6% for 90% quarters.

The buy price premium to spot is 2.2%.

The sell price premium to spot is 11.8%.

What premium did you pay? What premium are you asking? >>

That's cheap, everything else you buy the markup is 100% plus...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take spot for the silver, it's the tarnish that i want a premium for

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    The jist of the vibe I've been sensing is that people needing to sell now are very reluctant to do so. Those (many) wanting to buy are sitting on enough metal already and are decreasing the amount/frequency they are buying at current pricing.

I have been holding mostly cash for a while now. I think we'll have another dip in the nearish future which will kick-start some more panic selling, followed by a big swing upward from those hoarding cash right now

I couldn't agree more, esp. the part about already sitting on enough and why buy when there's no end in site of the current "bear market". Don't get me wrong, I want to buy, but not at the death grip rates dealers have on their product. Maybe if I was still looking to add a significant amount I'd take advantage of these "bargains", but I already have way more than I probably should even. Truth be told, if Spot could somehow some way get to around $19-20, I'd sell every oz. I have without hesitation cuz that's where I'm cost avgd.

And I've been here almost 6 years, not 3, but I did go on vacation a couple times for a few months image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Despite the ribbing and how riled a lot of us tend to get here, I do respect the opinions, facts, feelings and thoughts of the people. Honestly. A lot of us who play/work in the field and just like guys in oil refining, or banking, those who don't feel the pinch, likely are insulated with a shield of fat that is so thick they can't believe others actually struggle keeping the operation afloat. That's just the nature of the beast / or the market conditions dictating. NOBODY can change that. Value is always perceived and that's that. Silver is useful for some things more than others. It's still a "store" of value that , like gold, just sits there unless it's in the market where it can easily be gauged.

So we cannot deny what's gone up and down since I can remember back in the 70's….. On the "few" occasions it has spiked, multitudes have profited. On the rare occasions it crashes, multitudes have "lost"…. IF THEY SOLD. Stackers will stack until they die with 7 million dollars worth of gold in their house like that man in Vegas a few years ago… .Anyone remember that ?

Old sayings never die : "You can't take it with you "
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at this as a buying opportunity. In five years what will be the price silver? What about in ten years? Will you be glad you bought back in 2015? What will the national debt be in five or ten years? When interest rates go up, how will the government pay the interest to service this debt? Will they have to print more money which is inflationary or will they raise taxes? I sure wish I had a crystal ball but I'm guessing that silver will have a bright future.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>The jist of the vibe I've been sensing is that people needing to sell now are very reluctant to do so. Those (many) wanting to buy are sitting on enough metal already and are decreasing the amount/frequency they are buying at current pricing.

I have been holding mostly cash for a while now. I think we'll have another dip in the nearish future which will kick-start some more panic selling, followed by a big swing upward from those hoarding cash right now

I couldn't agree more, esp. the part about already sitting on enough and why buy when there's no end in site of the current "bear market". Don't get me wrong, I want to buy, but not at the death grip rates dealers have on their product. Maybe if I was still looking to add a significant amount I'd take advantage of these "bargains", but I already have way more than I probably should even. Truth be told, if Spot could somehow some way get to around $19-20, I'd sell every oz. I have without hesitation cuz that's where I'm cost avgd.

And I've been here almost 6 years, not 3, but I did go on vacation a couple times for a few months image >>

What are dealers sitting on so tightly? Surely can't be ASEs.

"Truth be told, if Spot could somehow some way get to around $19-20, I'd sell every oz. I have without hesitation cuz that's where I'm cost avgd."

I hear you there, sittin in the same boat.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a shadowbox mounted on the wall behind me that holds about 225 ounces of silver ingots.They range in size from .5 oz to 5 oz. Now I probably paid $25 per oz. on average (mentioned so you guys buried at $20 can feel better)...Anyway,I find myself enjoying them every day so I still consider the silver a good investment.If I ever figure out how to feed photos from my Brownie camera into the computer,I will share the view image
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    I have been buying sterling scrap for 40 cents a gram. Sometimes less...
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    by your title...up and down?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

<< <i>by your title...up and down? >>

That was directed to/by me kinda/sorta maybe.
  • Options

<< <i>by your title...up and down? >>

Finally
    image I thought I'd never read this response image
  • Options
    Silver popped a little today. Maybe it will move high enough to hit liquidation territory.
  • Options
    lol Tom. Kinda sorta. Partially true. A combination of things, really.
  • Options

<< <i>lol Tom. Kinda sorta. Partially true. A combination of things, really. >>

image It did spawn a little insightful discussion tho.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Truth be told, if Spot could somehow some way get to around $19-20, I'd sell every oz. I have without hesitation cuz that's where I'm cost avgd."

I hear you there, sittin in the same boat."

This is typical market psychology. Bought thinking it would go up.
    It goes down. Stayes down or keeps going lower.
    Wishing and praying it goes up at least to a break even bail out price point.
    Lots here looking for this to happen will keep a ceiling on any possible price raise.
    JMHO.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>"Truth be told, if Spot could somehow some way get to around $19-20, I'd sell every oz. I have without hesitation cuz that's where I'm cost avgd."

Lots here looking for this to happen will keep a ceiling on any possible price raise.
    JMHO. >>

Actually it was a matter of DCAing down. The last few years it has been cyclical offering both buying and selling opportunities. Hopefully it will pop just enough to clean house.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Truth be told, if Spot could somehow some way get to around $19-20, I'd sell every oz. I have without hesitation cuz that's where I'm cost avgd."

JMHO. >>

Owners of physical don't move spot anymore. The paper pushers do that. Physical stackers can at best push premiums to spot up or down.

• Options

<< <i>

JMHO. >>

Owners of physical don't move spot anymore. The paper pushers do that. Physical stackers can at best push premiums to spot up or down. >>

The phone moves me… then I move the paper… then the metal arrives…. then it moves physically. That's been my experience with vacuum cleaners, cars, rugs, shop towels, roofs, siding, gutters, auto parts, and most other things (including people).
    Even coins for that matter. But I'm a very simple minded fellow who aspires to continue on that path.
  • Options
    client picked up 60 ounces last week. Said he'd like to acquire another 240 ounces over the course of the next 3 months. Too bad I only have one or two of those guys.
    I'd move mountains with a little shovel,

Now, if I had a hammer image

I'd sell it to a pawn broker.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a roll of 2004 ASE's off ebay yesterday at $350 delivered.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    nice score, bob

Sharp pencil.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a make an offer.....offered $312 and got turned down.....two days later they messaged me to see
    if I could go $350 and I said yes if free delivery and they agreed.

bobimage

LINK
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com