Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cracking open a PSA sealed 1970 cello pack - update

Considering opening a 1970 cello pack. I do not have many tools (like a dremel). Any advice?
Daniel

Comments

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Daniel, from what I've heard as everyone knows I have no practical experience doing this, you can take a pair of pliers and snap off one of the corners at the top. Then take a flat end screwdriver to pry it open. Good luck.

Edited to add: I would also hold the pack flat at the edge of a table so only the corner of the slab goes flying.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Place one of the upper corners in a ziplock (to catch the shards) and hammer. Flathead screwdriver to pry apart once you have an opening.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Place one of the upper corners in a ziplock (to catch the shards) and hammer. Flathead screwdriver to pry apart once you have an opening.

My procedure to a tee +1
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I use a wire cutter and cut across the top, then one cut on each side of top, then pry with long thin screwdriver. If you twist the screwdriver once it is inside holder it loosens it up even more. Never a problem,it takes about two-three minutes.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering opening a 1970 cello pack. I do not have many tools (like a dremel). Any advice? >>

Will need pics of the front and back to strongly consider opening LOL

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Considering opening a 1970 cello pack. I do not have many tools (like a dremel). Any advice? >>

Will need pics of the front and back to strongly consider opening LOL >>

Sure, just suck out all the thrill of opening the pack, why don't you?? LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Last couple of times I just took a flathead screwdriver and jimmied it in the back underneath the label and it was easy to crack.
    Nikklos
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I crack an angle corner with a bull nose and slip in knife blade to pry open. No problems so far.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sure, just suck out all the thrill of opening the pack, why don't you?? LOL.. >>

Well, it's a second series pack with Alston showing on top and Reggie Jackson face out on back. I have been told that if patterns hold, Munson could be 4 or 5 cards under Alston. I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on that.
    Daniel

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sure, just suck out all the thrill of opening the pack, why don't you?? LOL.. >>

Well, it's a second series pack with Alston showing on top and Reggie Jackson face out on back. I have been told that if patterns hold, Munson could be 4 or 5 cards under Alston. I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on that. >>

I knew there had to be a reason you were cracking this pack, Daniel. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, it's a second series pack with Alston showing on top and Reggie Jackson face out on back. I have been told that if patterns hold, Munson could be 4 or 5 cards under Alston. I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on that. >>

I knew there had to be a reason you were cracking this pack, Daniel. image >>

Don't worry Carnac will be along soon with his thoughts. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • This could be VERY dangerous!!
    Send directly to me and I'll take care of it.....er, you know, for safety sake!!!
    Yes, yes...... You are VERY welcome!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't worry Carnac will be along soon with his thoughts. image >>

LOL I looked thru some old PM's, I told Daniel in Dec that Alston could led to Thurman but the first 11 cards of the 2nd series cellos flip between the 2 half sheets so it isn't a given

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't worry Carnac will be along soon with his thoughts. image >>

LOL I looked thru some old PM's, I told Daniel in Dec that Alston could led to Thurman but the first 11 cards of the 2nd series cellos flip between the 2 half sheets so it isn't a given

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the recent pack threads reminded me of this thread that I started a few weeks ago. I ended up getting saved from myself. The pack had been up on eBay and I was THIS close to cracking it out and opening it when someone hit the Buy It Now.
    Daniel

<< <i>All the recent pack threads reminded me of this thread that I started a few weeks ago. I ended up getting saved from myself. The pack had been up on eBay and I was THIS close to cracking it out and opening it when someone hit the Buy It Now. >>

If someone here bought it, maybe they will crack it open for you to pull that mint Munson RC nestled within! LOL!