Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need advice: Tom Brady Redemption card from 2000 Playoff Contenders Group Rip

I pulled a Playoff Contenders 2000 auto redemption from the group rip. Is this good for anything?

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to think no, that really sucks.

Sorry to hear
  • Options
    I would guess that you'll be able to get something, though probably not the specific card that the redemption is for.

I'd call Panini (that is who makes Contenders, right?) customer service and explain. I have heard of UD honoring redemptions out of The Cup as back as when it started in 2005 even until recently, so I'm hopeful. If they don't have it, ask them if you can redeem it for another card of comparable value that they have in stock. A little sweet talk and I bet you'll get something out of it.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I found a redemption card that is way expired as well
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Added pic. Could be my greatest pull or the greatest punch in the gut from a card....haha
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Brutal
  • Options
    Contact Panini. Think they would surely offer you something. I don't know about that far out, but seems like they will accept a couple years past expiration date. Wouldn't hurt to try.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Congrats again on the pull and hopefully that info I sent you via PM helps with getting this redeemed or getting Mr. Sharp to get you something of similar value.

• Options

<< <i>Congrats again on the pull and hopefully that info I sent you via PM helps with getting this redeemed or getting Mr. Sharp to get you something of similar value.

image >>

Thanks Brendan....and HOLY COW. I just realized there are 2 versions of this card. One if Gold and the other is not. The Gold is the one I pulled.... #'d to 60. Damnnnnnit.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Yikes. Good luck with getting some sort redemption for it.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats again on the pull and hopefully that info I sent you via PM helps with getting this redeemed or getting Mr. Sharp to get you something of similar value.

image >>

Thanks Brendan....and HOLY COW. I just realized there are 2 versions of this card. One if Gold and the other is not. The Gold is the one I pulled.... #'d to 60. Damnnnnnit. >>

Yup, possibly a $700ish card so could work out well if they either can find it or swap it for something of similar value.
  • Options

<< <i>$700ish card >>

That much for a Marc Bulger auto??? Snap!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$700ish card >>

That much for a Marc Bulger auto??? Snap! >>

Casey, I know you'll like this...MSU golden boy Tony Banks was in the pack as well.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think though. That is more rare than the actual card.
    Try and grade it.
    That could become collectable itself??
  • Options
    Nice Banks. A little before my time - although I did just read an interesting SI story about him getting paid while at MSU by his agent. Sounds like a stand-up guy!

Rest of the pack looks pretty sweet. Is 5 cards normal or are there more than that?

Looks like this is your card, so, yeah, good luck!

$$$

PS - if you get it and get it holdered, request that PSA have Brady face forward!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card. Hope they still have one for you.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Panini didn't own the Contenders brand back then, unfortunately.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo! :-(
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    that's the problem with sitting on old stuff like that--I pulled a nice expired auto card too----made me start to rip all the boxes from the last 2 years that I bought. No sense sitting on them
  • Options
    I've pulled a Kap and a Kyrie Irving Auto that are expired before....but those are nothing compared to this Brady. That blows!!!

If you call Panini and they offer you anything please let us know. Hopefully they do.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    People crap on Panini but they are great with their redemptions. Topps does nothing and UD does a raffle and that's it I think. Panini has helped on other pulls from cards they didn't make so it's worth a shot. Good luck!
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a bummer. I have pulled expired redemption cards before but nothing as valuable as that one. Does anyone know if the Contenders Brady championship auto RC #/100 is a redemption?
    I am looking for the gold Contenders Bulger/Brady auto #/60 in PSA 9 if anyone happens to have one.

Robb
  • Options
    i found a two dollar lotto scracth off winner under the couch from aboutn 2009 and raj over at the jiffee mart told me to pound sand
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an incredible pull! I've heard a lot of good things w/Panini honoring expired redemptions, but have no idea how they would handle this one since it was issued by Playoff at that time. Keep us up to date on what you find out and I sincerely hope they get you something of equivalent value, if not the exact card for the redemption.

If they don't do anything, getting the redemption card graded may be your best bet and hopefully it could be added to the Brady registry.
  • Options
    Looks like there are a few of this card on eBay right now. Good luck getting it redeemed!
    ebay link

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options

<< <i>Panini didn't own the Contenders brand back then, unfortunately. >>

Your post prompted me to do some wikipedia reading. Turns out that Playoff Corp. turned into Donruss Playoff LP in 2001. In 2009 Donruss Playoff was acquired by Panani. Panini American moved into Donruss HQ in Texas. I reached out to customer service last night regarding this card. I'll let you know what I hear back.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I like the master registry set idea. I'd check with PSA to see if it qualifies.

And, after seeing this, I don't think I'll ever buy unopened with expired redemptions.

BUT...what does the company do with the unclaimed cards?
  • Options
    Panini and UD honor their expired redemptions, at least as far back as 2005. The issue here, I'd think, is that the original company *no longer exists*. Their inventory might still be with Panini - but who knows...
  • Options

<< <i>Panini and UD honor their expired redemptions, at least as far back as 2005. The issue here, I'd think, is that the original company *no longer exists*. Their inventory might still be with Panini - but who knows... >>

I don't think it's any different than any other Playoff or Donruss product prior to 2009 (when Panini acquired Donruss Playoff LP). The Playoff Contenders brand still exists today. But who knows...I'm anxious to hear back from Panini.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I agree with handyman's post above - if nothing else you have a cool unredeemed card and some of those go for decent money. Now, maybe not $800, but a hardcore Brady collector would want that - graded or not.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That's the most unfortunate pull since Judge Reinhold in Fast Times At Ridgemont High. (just kidding, I hope Panini offers up something good as a replacement.)
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's the most unfortunate pull since Judge Reinhold in Fast Times At Ridgemont High. (just kidding, I hope Panini offers up something good as a replacement.) >>

"Doesn't anybody _______ knock anymore??"

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im curious what they would give you instead, if they would even honor the pull.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Panini and UD honor their expired redemptions, at least as far back as 2005. The issue here, I'd think, is that the original company *no longer exists*. Their inventory might still be with Panini - but who knows... >>

I don't think it's any different than any other Playoff or Donruss product prior to 2009 (when Panini acquired Donruss Playoff LP). The Playoff Contenders brand still exists today. But who knows...I'm anxious to hear back from Panini. >>

Mr. Sharp has honored some Donruss redemptions from around 02/03 before so hopefully once he responds to you he will help you out. They even had some of the original cards from Donruss still available to redeem. :
  • Options
    Unfortunately no response from David Panini customer service yet.
  • Options
    I was finally able to hear back from Panini. They're willing to redeem it for a random box valued $75 to $125. I'm not sure if I'll send it in or not. I throw it up on ebay and see if any hardcore Brady collector makes a good offer.
  • Options
    Boy, pulling that and not being able to redeem it for that card - must really be.......................................................................

deflating.

(sorry - someone had to do it)
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options

<< <i>Boy, pulling that and not being able to redeem it for that card - must really be.......................................................................

deflating.

(sorry - someone had to do it) >>

Zing!!!

Sorry, Davis.

Any hope of PSA grading it? If they did, someone on the Brady Master Set might want it bad enough to make it worth it.

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Zing!!!

Sorry, Davis.

Any hope of PSA grading it? If they did, someone on the Brady Master Set might want it bad enough to make it worth it. >>

Could be worth a shot.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a card must have that player's image on it to qualify for a player registry. Otherwise every Topps checklist would qualify.
  • Options
    Seems the card looks a little soft

Sorry about the panini response