Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2 lost usps packages in 2 weeks

So I have had 2 packages go missing from the usps in the last couple weeks..
One was a BVG 5.5 Nolan Ryan rookie that showed out for delivery and never updated. The buyer was freaking out despite my quick responses
and I refunded the purchase after about 5 days of in not updating. Called post office and no one remembered the package.

The last was an express order $35 per card x 10 to PSA shipped on 3/4 scheduled delivery was 3/6 (fri) and last scanned leaving IL. 3/5

bothe were priority mail, both required signature. I am holding out hope on the 2nd one will start moving again. But the first one is gone.
Either the buyer jacked me or someone from the post office stole it. Either way I am pretty p.o'd and not sure how I can use usps for
expensive items after this.

Comments

• Options
    ATPATP Posts: 12
    Sorry to hear about the mailing troubles. FWIW, most express mail packages I have sent or received in the last couple weeks are taking an extra two days, and that's express. Priority mail sometimes three plus extra days from the estimate. It must be the weather but things have been much slower than usual. Perhaps the one will show up soon.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I agree that priority mail has been slower lately. I don't know why, and neither do the guys at my local P.O.
    Got a package back from PSA a few days ago that took 5 days for a 2-3 day priority service, and I'm on day 6 on the other one.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    that is giving me some hope...thank you, I have been feeling sick
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your USPS problems. I was about to start a post asking if people are experiencing delays with Priority. I almost always ship anything over $100 USPS priority and I have never had problems with them. I had three eBay sales last week that went out priority and I all updates have stopped on them. They have not been updated in more than 4 days and 6 days in two of the cases. All messaging stops after it says it left my home town sort center. The third card was marked "out for delivery" over a day ago and the status is now "delivery status not updated". I am hoping it is just a weather thing. Weird thing is first class packages on cheaper cards I have mailed out have been delivered earlier than those I paid priority on and I mailed those out after the priority packages! Good luck with your Ryan. Hope it turns up.

Steve
    Steve
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>not sure how I can use usps for
    expensive items after this. >>

Oakesy,
    Sorry to hear about your lost packages, hopefully they turn up or work out for you. In the future, if you are worried about USPS, use their registered service. It takes a lot longer than other methods, but for really expensive items, I believe it's about the best service there is in my opinion.

Good luck to you,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Weather has created a huge backlog of mail. Most of my Priority orders are taking 2-3 extra days.

The second order should start moving and the Ryan is probably en-route or in the buyer's hand. Nice of you to give a refund, but I'd have waited longer, especially on an item like that.

I aways write really big next to shipping label, and on each side of the package SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    Everything down south is taking 2 or 3 extra days because of ice the last two weeks.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I won a couple of dexter press last month and seller mailed package on the 8th and I received it the 22nd...so yes very slow lately. I wish you luck with the post office.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this.

If the Ryan rc was never signed for, will you also be refunded (from USPS insurance) since it wasn't delivered? How exactly does that work?
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I recently had a priority mail package misdelivered, picked up again and finally reached its destination ELEVEN DAYS after mailing. The tracking on ebay NEVER updated, but the tracking on the USPS site did. This was just a few weeks after I sent another package from Tennessee to Alaska....it got to Anchorage in 3 days, but then took 54 days to get from Anchorage to the delivery address. USPS has gotten worse.....time for something better
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Mailed a small flat rate box to LA from South Carolina. Took 9 days to get there.
    Worst part is, the tracking never updated until delivery.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same thing happen to me yesterday.
    Guy mailed it 9 days ago to me and it only showed that it left the original State and for 8 days just that. Then yesterday it showed it was in my city. Then its out for delivery. I was like finally!
    So I went out to meet the mailman and he handed me my mail, only spam/junk mail. I said dont you have a package for me? "Nope".
    Ok maybe tomorrow or something. So I go run to the store for a few hours. Come back and it now in my mail box the same day he said he had nothing.
    It was as all strange.
    Also it was a replacement mailman and not my regular.
  • Options
    sorry to hear, they have been super slow lately as well due to horrible weather

if u call 1 800 222 1811 they can run a trace

thx
    rick
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    dgordodgordo Posts: 123 ✭✭
    These are all great examples of why i wont use the usps for anything more than $100.

http://myworld.ebay.com/dgordo76

My current wish list:

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=952285&enterthread=y

Please pm me if you want to sell any of these cards.

Thanks!

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    USPS has been slow recently for me as well. Another boardmember and I were both worried about a 2-Day priority mail package that didn't update for 5 days. Then last night it updated it was received to the Post Office at my zip code which is good news. Hopefully your package does the same thing. Assuming it is delivered today, that will be 8 days to ship via 2-Day priority mail. Yikes.
  • Options
    This has also happened to me often recently. Shipped, no tracking updates for an extended period of time, then updated when at my home PO.
  • Options
    Positive update, package started tracking again in Ca. at 5 a.m.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had problems will all of my mail since the end of last year. I went to local Post Office to talk to a supervisor and another clerk told me that there was a wave of retirements at the end of last year. There are a lot of temps and new hires now delivering your mail.

I switched to FedEx for the high dollar stuff. I've already had to kick out a few refunds due to tracking not updating.
    Mike
  • Options
    I sent a package to MN from LA on Jan 3rd. It just got delivered on March 5th. Somehow it went to Hawaii for a month to vacation. I already refunded the money to the buyer. I asked him if he received the cards. I'll let you know if he does the honest thing and pay for them.
    Mike
  • Options
    I have one that I shipped on 2/27 and was last scanned in on 3/5. Nothing since.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had two first class packages from Texas (same sender) last month which both took an extra three days from the USPS estimate.
  • Options
    BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I have had similar experiences using USPS. Priority mail often times takes longer than the 2-3 business days. I have also shipped numerous packages where delivery status is not updated. It says "out for delivery" and it never gets updated. I had signature confirmation on one item and same thing where delivery status was never updated. Fortunately, I never had a case opened against me so it seems to be a matter of the postal driver not scanning package upon delivery. Once I was receiving a package, where it stated it was delivered but did not receive it. Called my local post office and they contacted the driver and they were able to locate it as it was delivered to the wrong address. I think with USPS, they deal with such a high volume of mail, their service is inconsistent. I am thinking of switching over to Fed Ex for shipping higher priced items, but I have to look into that. I think I need to open an account with Fed Ex to use them, not sure what's involved with that..
  • Options
    My priority has been normal so far.

Sold a Gretzky RC and a couple other high dollar items. Mailed them Monday and all arrived today.

Sure hope this works out. My postman is a good friend or otherwise I would only use FedEx for higher dollar stuff.
  • Options
    package delivered to PSA today

called customer service for post office for the other one and was advised they would put a case manager on it to search for package and return to sender, but was told that it
    was most likely delivered and not scanned or signed for.
    I can only open a $50 claim on my $350 item because I didn't insure it. I felt like paying for the signature conf
    was insurance that it wouldn't be stolen by the customer which it was in almost 100% certainty
  • Options
    Glad to hear that the PSA package was delivered. Seems that there is definitely some slow movement west-east currently. I had 2 packages sent from CA to MI this week that both took 5 days between USPS Sort Facilities.

Before buying USPS insurance, I recommend that you look into private collectibles insurance. There have been a ton of threads about this in the past, so just do a search for "Collect Insure" if you're interested.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Another voice for hideous mail delivery of late....

Four packages from Boston to Florida over the past month, have all taken 2-3 weeks each to get delivered. Tracking updates have been minimal, but eventually all have gotten there (except for one mailed last week, but I still have hope for that)....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to hear that the PSA package was delivered. Seems that there is definitely some slow movement west-east currently. I had 2 packages sent from CA to MI this week that both took 5 days between USPS Sort Facilities.

Before buying USPS insurance, I recommend that you look into private collectibles insurance. There have been a ton of threads about this in the past, so just do a search for "Collect Insure" if you're interested. >>

One thing to note with that, however, is you will need a dealer policy to cover packages sold anda sent by mail with signature required. They will not cover loss of package if you sell an item and have just a collectors policy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing to note with that, however, is you will need a dealer policy to cover packages sold anda sent by mail with signature required. They will not cover loss of package if you sell an item and have just a collectors policy. >>

I do not have a dealer's policy with Collectibles Insurance Services (www.collectinsure.com)--rather a regular collector's policy--and sold items that I ship ARE actually covered up to 25K per paragraph A.4.d (1) in the standard policy provided it's shipped via Class 1 shipment method (i.e. a shipment method requiring signature such as registered or fedex signature required)

Maybe you were referring to collectible policies more broadly, but in the case of Collectibles Insurance Services (www.collectinsure.com) sales shipments are covered in the non-dealer policy.

• Options
    Grote, I also have the same understanding as Thunderdan, though I will actually call them tomorrow (I have other questions - might as well clear that up too). I'll post what I hear. I also wonder, even if you're right, whether it would still cover shipment to PSA--cards that are being mailed but are not sold.
  • Options
    According to a representative of CI, a collector policy insures your collection but not items actively sold for purchase. At that point, they would consider you a dealer, and according to the rep, would potentially deny your claim.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Casey, yes, from my understanding, the policy would certainly cover cards shipped to PSA for grading, but not cards being sold to buyers (unless you have a dealer policy).

• Options

<< <i>According to a representative of CI, a collector policy insures your collection but not items actively sold for purchase. At that point, they would consider you a dealer, and according to the rep, would potentially deny your claim. >>

That is very different from the conversation I had with the person at CI who wrote up my policy and what the language in my policy actually says.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>According to a representative of CI, a collector policy insures your collection but not items actively sold for purchase. At that point, they would consider you a dealer, and according to the rep, would potentially deny your claim. >>

That is very different from the conversation I had with the person at CI who wrote up my policy and what the language in my policy actually says. >>

Did you specify packages shipped as sold items vs packages simply in transit. From what I understand, that is where the distinction lies and that does make sense for a collector vs a dealer policy.

• Options

<< <i>Did you specify packages shipped as sold items vs packages simply in transit. From what I understand, that is where the distinction lies and that does make sense for a collector vs a dealer policy. >>

Yep.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That is very different from the conversation I had with the person at CI who wrote up my policy and what the language in my policy actually says. >>

The way the policy is written, they don't have to cover lost shipments with their collector policy as it does not cover any items that are "for sale", which cards shipped as eBay sales would be categorized. That's basically what the VP at ACNA told me. Here's his exact text:

---------

Under our collector policy, there is no coverage for any property that is actively trying to be sold. For example, if you were to have a loss on items that are trying to be sold, the company could possibly deny the claim because you would be considered a dealer at that time. It is alright to do a small amount of selling if you want to upgrade a certain card, like something better, etc.., just keep in mind, the company could possibly deny a claim on items actively trying to be sold.

---------

So it all comes down to how tight the insurance company wants to enforce their terms. If they have a high loss year or a particular client who is suffering heavy losses, they by right could deny those types of claims.

Full disclaimer - I don't currently have collectibles insurance but have been investigating it for purchase. So I can't speak about the claims process from experience. Based on my research, I'm leaning toward carrying collectors insurance for the bulk of my collection and then adding a minimal policy, say $25k, on a dealer policy to cover my mailings.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

+1
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    we need a lawyer to look into all this jargon in the policy---where's Doug???
  • Options

<< <i>It is alright to do a small amount of selling if you want to upgrade a certain card, like something better, etc >>

This is what they had told me, but I have a call into Heather to once again confirm this. Worst case I need to upgrade my policy. Fortunately, I've never had to make a claim.

• Options
    Phone call #1 in ... some thoughts:

1. Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.

2. Collectors policy covers mail loss *certainly* in some instances and *maybe* in others:

a) Clearly covered: you buy an item and receive written proof of purchase prior to shipping (i.e. invoice, purchase record, etc.)

b) Clearly covered: you are shipping an item that you already own but have not sold the item (i.e. mailing in for grading)

c) Maybe covered: you are shipping an item you have sold. This is not a black/white area, but is subject to the judgment of claims adjudicators. As explained by Brian, the typical standard that is used to determine whether sold items are incidental (thus covered by a collectors policy) is "5% by volume or value". So, for example using my own case, I have a 40K policy limit. Maximum claim for mail loss when selling would then be 2K. I asked if this 5% rule was described in writing in the policy and was told that it was not, but was the practice of those who evaluate claims. But, and this is a big but, it is the case that your overall situation is taken into consideration when filing a claim for sold-item mail loss. If your loss is deemed to be incidental to normal collector behavior and below the threshold, it's covered, subject to the normal limits. If your loss is determined to be outside of normal collector behavior, it may not be. Factors that are considered may include the size of your eBay store, how many items you have for sale, your overall selling habits, etc. Basically, if you are seen as selling to make money and not just selling cards that are duplicates or card that you once collected but have now become disinterested in, it may tip you into the dealer side. Since this is subjective, I have asked for more information on thresholds and was told that they will call me back.

3. If you do sell a fair amount, you can get a collectors policy and a small dealer policy with the dealer policy designed specifically to cover mail loss. I will post when I get some sense of pricing on that. Collector policy is quite reasonable--I pay $200/year roughly for 40K coverage.
  • Options

<< <i>I sent a package to MN from LA on Jan 3rd. It just got delivered on March 5th. Somehow it went to Hawaii for a month to vacation. I already refunded the money to the buyer. I asked him if he received the cards. I'll let you know if he does the honest thing and pay for them. >>

Despite having received the cards and agreeing to pay for them, the buyer has decided not to pay. If anyone wants his id to block please PM me.
    Mike
  • Options
    Yikes, this has turned into an USPS nightmare thread, guess ill chime in.

Sent out an express mail envelope yesterday, with postage from stamps.com, the clerk scanned it, yet it is only showing pre shipping notification on the tracking search. It was going to Rhode Island.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I sent a package to MN from LA on Jan 3rd. It just got delivered on March 5th. Somehow it went to Hawaii for a month to vacation. I already refunded the money to the buyer. I asked him if he received the cards. I'll let you know if he does the honest thing and pay for them. >>

Despite having received the cards and agreeing to pay for them, the buyer has decided not to pay. If anyone wants his id to block please PM me. >>

Isnt there anyway for ebay to reverse the charges again on this? I mean, ebay allows for refunds to be given in this time frame, why wouldnt they allow for a reverse charge in this case if the tracking actually shows delivered?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Despite having received the cards and agreeing to pay for them, the buyer has decided not to pay. If anyone wants his id to block please PM me. >>

Isnt there anyway for ebay to reverse the charges again on this? I mean, ebay allows for refunds to be given in this time frame, why wouldnt they allow for a reverse charge in this case if the tracking actually shows delivered? >>

After I refunded the money, ebay was done with the transaction. At the end of the day it is the USPS fault, but it did show delivered. The buyer confirmed he received the cards, but did not pay.

Again if anyone wants his id, please PM me. I don't want to post it in a public forum. Based on what he bought, he is probably a Cleveland Browns fan. At least the football gods karma is sinking his team.
    Mike
  • Options
    shaping up for me to be screwed once again.. guy bought a card on ebay for $150 on sunday morning, adamant about getting it delivered by weds.
    Told him I would ship priority but can't guarantee weds for sure. He messages me sunday night about another card for $225. I open the flat rate mailing box and and the other card instead of voiding the original label and reprinting with signature confirmation. He just messages me that he did not receive the package that tracking # shows delivered and checked with his neighbors.

I am so sick I am beyond words.

So, the package that I did have signature conf. gets "lost" and the one I don't have it on gets mis-delivered... hmmmmmm

this is getting goofy..
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

<< <i>shaping up for me to be screwed once again.. guy bought a card on ebay for $150 on sunday morning, adamant about getting it delivered by weds.
    Told him I would ship priority but can't guarantee weds for sure. He messages me sunday night about another card for $225. I open the flat rate mailing box and and the other card instead of voiding the original label and reprinting with signature confirmation. He just messages me that he did not receive the package that tracking # shows delivered and checked with his neighbors.

I am so sick I am beyond words.

So, the package that I did have signature conf. gets "lost" and the one I don't have it on gets mis-delivered... hmmmmmm

this is getting goofy.. >>

You might be ok. I thought signature confirm was increased to 750, so you might be covered under eBay seller protection.
  • Options
    An update - So I just wrote off the cards that were delayed buy the USPS for a month and the guy wouldn't pay for. It's been a month since I sent the PP invoice and figured he wasn't going to pay. I didn't send me any more follow-ups since.

Today he sends me a profane response. I don't know why since I didn't hound him. It was only a few bucks and wasn't worth it.

This guy seems unstable, so I extend the offer again to anyone. If you want his id to block, PM me.
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about all of the troubles guys, but I'd like to report that
    all bills sent to me arrive each and every month, in fact I can't recall ever
    not receiving them on time, yet an ebay item I purchased,that fits into an envelope
    and sent the same first class mail hasn't arrived after 2 weeks...

Good for you.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I feel this pain. I sent two 1998 SP Authentic Peyton Manning's ($600/ea + $200/sig), 1 PSA 8 Joe Montana RC ($250 all in), a Charles Hayley RC ($80 all in) and a Jason Witten RC ($120 all in) to the SunTimes show via a florida consignor. Last USPS Tracking scan was 3/30. Not only that but the insurance that was put on was for $500 (when I had asked for $1000). So not only am I going to be out $2200 in cards that I desperately want, I'll be collecting $500.

By the way, the blue USPS Insurance sticker is like a GIANT STEAL ME sign. I've only ever lost 3 USPS packages (and I get like 300/year) - ALL were insured.
  • Options
    Since we are adding to our "USPS Sucks" thread. Thought I would add another that I had in the last few weeks. Sent a 2000 Topps AROD hand signed auto insert out (Sold for $50) on March 30th. Tracking updated for two days and then stopped. Buyer asks me about it on the 10th, I ask if he would give it a few more days. So, this past Sunday, I sent him a message telling him I would refund his money after I check with the PO again to see if there was something up I was not aware of....went to the PO, basically they said, "sometimes it takes a little longer than others" (yeah 20 days to go 400 miles). Anyway, I get on last night about to refund the money and the guy sends me a message saying it arrived. Took 21 days total, 15 days between tracking updates.

Luckily the guy was honest and patient, otherwise, I may have been out the card. Of all things ebay needs to do is to have something that forces a reversal of a refund if tracking shows item is delivered after a refund is given due to late USPS delivery