Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

FS: 1872-H Newfoundland Cent

Here's the deal with this one...I got this coin several years ago with an old collection that was stored rather poorly in a damp area. There were several great foreign pieces in the lot including a German field hospital canteen token from their rather short colonial stay in China, however some of the MS copper and bronze at the bottom of the box and in paper envelopes, looked like they were stored in, well, paper that had gotten wet at one time. This 1872-H Newfoundland cent is MS, and I'm sure it was nice and red when put away, however it now still has a bit of red but also some areas of toning that are a bit colorful along with most areas that are r/b or brown. I sent it in to PCGS a few years ago hoping to get a higher grade, but it came back "Genuine"...apparently they though someone would take an old, red, Newfoundland cent and try to improve it by toning it brown in an irregular pattern. Anyway, I'm done goofing around with it and am ready to move on. I took these raw photos back when I had the ability to get some fairly decent pics, and they're pretty true to life. The coin is still in the PCGS genuine holder that it came back in. Other than the color, which really isn't that bad, the detailis beautiful and I'd guess the grade at MS65 or better if it could ever get into a holder. I'm ready to take offers on it, so if you've got an interest in it, PM me and let's talk.

These photos were taken without tilting the coin to show the toning...

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• PCGS is very conservative wrt "colors" and even the slightest signs of "cleaning". They do tend to err on the side of caution, and unfortunately, it often costs us an otherwise valid grade.

Beauty you have there!
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    PM sent
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay