Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card Show - Mansfield, MA - It's no Natty, but....

I drove about 2 1/2 hours to a card show yesterday in Mansfield, Mass. This is a somewhat frequent show and the guys who put it together do a really good job. It's well organized with a good number of tables and always good autograph guests at reasonable prices. This is the same show at which I got to meet Gino Cappelletti in November. I hadn't been back since then, and itching to go to another.

Here is their website if you're interested in going to a show. I highly recommend it. Their autograph guests at the next show include Andy Moog and HOFer Gerry Cheevers.

Well, most of you don't know this, but one of my "back burner" projects is to collect cards and autographs of Providence College stars who made it to the NBA. I'm originally from RI and that's my favorite team, college or pro. Some of their NBA stints were brief, but to qualify for my project they need to have played in the NBA after college. Anyway, one of yesterday's guests was former First Team All American and Providence alum Ernie DiGregorio. Ernie D was the 1974 NBA Rookie of the Year (as you're about to see) for the Buffalo Braves. As I said, their autograph prices are great. I got an autograph for me and one for each of my kids for a total of 20 bucks. Here is the card I had signed. The inscription is a little more verbose than I was expecting, but I think I still like it.

The other autograph guest was HOFer Nate "Tiny" Archibald. I didn't get his auto, but snuck a photo:

My sons and I had a lot of success at the November show. This show had a good number of tables, but fewer than November. Not a lot of people were selling stuff I collect. I came specifically looking to add to my Gino Cappelletti and 1951 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers registry sets, but wasn't able to find anything. In fact, most of the dealers didn't have graded cards and a couple looked disgusted if you even mentioned the word "graded." One guy had quite a few graded Yaz cards, but I didn't need/want most of them. He had a 1972 Topps #38 Yaz In Action PSA 8, but the sticker said $35, which isn't even close to reasonable.

I was getting discouraged, until I found one guy from whom I made all my purchases and would have liked to buy more if I had the money. I was able to buy 9 cards for my low-mid grade raw 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set and he also had lots of neat oddball Yaz items. I purchased five 1980 Liberty Superstar matchbook covers.

These come in 10 different colors, each of which is a separate item in the Yaz Master Set. It was a multisport set that included these players, among others: Larry Bird, Al Kaline, Duke Snider, Guy Lafleur, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Lou Brock, Pete Rose, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. I'm really excited to add these and they'll be subbed to PSA this month. I have no illusions that they're high grade; I think the average grade of the lot is around PSA 5. But the pop reports that PSA has only graded a total of between 3 and 6 copies of each color Yaz. With those numbers, slabbed copies will rarely surface for sale, if ever. The only option is really to sub them myself. I got them really cheap, and it will be cool to have more low-pop items in my master set. Besides, I just think they look really cool!

So a good time was had by all. And if you have any raw 59 Williams cards available, please let me know. I'm now 68/80 complete. Thanks guys.

Comments

• In spending more time with the pop report, there are quite a few matchbooks graded of Rose and Larry Bird. I'm thinking those player registries must be pretty active.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are the pics from Chipotle??
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Glad you had a good time at the show! It would be a bummer to drive all that way and not have it be any good. Nice auto and I like the candid pic of Archibald.

Interesting Yaz matchbook covers. Cool that they had them in holders already (unless you put them in there yourself...?). These days I couldn't quite picture MLB or the players' union authorizing that sort of thing!

• << <i>Where are the pics from Chipotle?? >>

Lol no pics of my carnitas burrito with chips and guac, and no pics from the rest area bathroom an hour later, either image

Yeah, Phil, it's a great show. This time I came with a very specific shopping list, so it was a little harder for me to find something to buy, but there is always a large variety. On a different day I would have been all over the couple of tables where they were selling vintage Exhibits cards. I noticed a lot of hobby boxes of modern changing hands this time, but still plenty of raw vintage.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fun day.....I'll be at the Hunt Show next weekend

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Doug Keating really does a nice job with that show. Glad you enjoyed it!
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    O' man Dan I wish I had a clue that you went we could have meet up for a little bit. I go often too Mansfield I do agree I think for a smaller show they do a nice job with it. Well maybe next time you go.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    This is a good little show. I set up there many times back in the day.

This show has gone on for a long time

Since I moved out of Ma, not sure how the show scene is up there now.

I know Billy Hedin who had shows all over the place is no longer doing them
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Got poppage for these matchbooks and very happy with the results!

1980 Liberty Superstar Matchbook 6 Carl Yastrzemski Aqua MINT 9 Pop 2, 0 higher
    1980 Liberty Superstar Matchbook 6 Carl Yastrzemski Green NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 Pop 1, 2 higher
    1980 Liberty Superstar Matchbook 6 Carl Yastrzemski Hot Pink NEAR MINT-MINT 8 Only 1 higher
    1980 Liberty Superstar Matchbook 6 Carl Yastrzemski Orange EXCELLENT-MINT 6
    1980 Liberty Superstar Matchbook 6 Carl Yastrzemski Salmon NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 Pop 2, 0 higher

I'll post photos to my Yaz thread when I get these back in hand.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got poppage for these matchbooks and very happy with the results! >>

Wow, congrats! image All ended up better than what you thought the average would be.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice poppage, Dan!

Maybe I'll meet you out there for a show some time this summer. I used to go to RI 2-3 weekends a month but dont anymore. I'd like to check out that show.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Thanks guys! Barry, that would be cool. I also hope to meet heritage and maybe BostonAmericans there sometime as well.

I want to emphasize this is a great show. Always a solid autograph lineup at low prices. I've been twice and always returned home with treasure. The first time, meeting Gino Cappelletti, was a huge thrill. And the second time I got these matchbooks for a steal! The same dealer had a bunch of other oddball Yaz items, so I hope he's at the show next time I go.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, nice job! image
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Some nice grades on some awesome oddball stuff Dan!
  • RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Nice stuff Dan. It looks like that was a lot fun. Congrats on the grades!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    the oddball stuff is the best IMO

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Tiny is saying, "You can pay for that picture right over there"

Good Stuff Dan
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Is anybody going to the Mansfield show this Sunday?
  • Anybody going Sunday? I'll be there with my 11 year old.
  • Had a great time at the show yesterday. Here's a recap, for those who care.

To me, the headliner autograph guest was Frank Malzone, star 3rd baseman for the Sox from the mid 50's thru the early 60's. My 11 year old also got Bernie Carbo's autograph, but my other son and I both already had his. We had Malzone sign autos for both boys, a cool black & white photo of himself tagging out Willie Mays at 3rd in an All Star game, and a '58 Topps for me. The photo is now framed and is my dad's Father's Day gift (we haven't seen him yet). My card is below. I'm very pleased with it.

After the auto lines, we started to browse the tables. A few minutes later I heard "Dan?" It was CU member heritage. What a great guy! My son and I both really enjoyed meeting him. My first CU member met, btw.

One of my goals at the show was to pick up some of the few cards I needed to complete my 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set. As of yesterday morning, I was at 73/80. We saw a table with a nice stack and he had 3 I needed. We were able to negotiate a fair price and I happily snagged the cards below.

At first, I was thinking of subbing the "First Spring Training" card with Ted and Jimmie Foxx, but at a closer look there is a slight crimp in the right edge near the top corner, and also a surface "pimple" that doesn't show in the scan. If I thought the card would get a 6 or 7, I'd sub it, but I think there's a good chance it wouldn't. Still very happy with my purchase. If anybody has numbers 19, 45 and/or 75 for sale or trade, please let me know right away. I plan to try and purchase them this week. Then I'll be at 79/80 and only missing the SSSP #68. Still haven't decided what to do about that one.

My 11 year old was buying cheap David Ortiz cards left and right. My only other purchase (other than top loaders) was the item below. I passed on it a few months ago and have regretted it since. Happy to grab this one, even though it's quite ugly, hahaha.

That's a 1978 Penn Emblem player patch. PSA grades the set, and has graded quite a few of Pete Rose's 3 variations, but they've never graded the Yaz. I'm looking forward to getting this one slabbed! This eBay listing makes it seem like these are slabbed in pack holders. I have emailed PSA for confirmation.

Speaking of oddball Yaz items, the same dealer also had these labels, below. Anybody out there have any idea whether PSA would grade them?

Anyway, my son and I had a great time at the show, as always. A really nice way to spend Father's Day.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it went well! Frank Malzone most certainly is a class act!

Side story - I attended the Red Sox Fantasy Camp last year, which is the most incredible experience for a Sox fan. One week of playing baseball and hanging out with a couple of dozen former players - how can you beat that??

One night, a few members of my team took our coaches - Butch Hobson, Luis Tiant and Frank Malzone - to dinner. The stories were flowing, as were the drinks, which led to more stories. It was an awesome night! Here's a pic from dinner that night. I will be back in Florida in January to do it again, and can't recommend it enough to everyone!

• So cool! I've met Tiant too and have a signed 74 Topps at PSA right now. Sox fans, besides Malzone and Carbo yesterday, Ken Ryan and Jeff Juden were also signing. So was Joe Vellano of the Patriots.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    scooter that sounds like a great time
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Dan it was nice to run into you and your son. Thank you for the kind words..I had a good time at the show as well the only thing I picked up really was a Fisk bobble head.
  • Went back to Mansfield today. The autograph guest we were after this time was former AFL/NFL QB Vito "Babe" Parilli. Everybody knows I'm a Gino Cappelletti super fan. In his prime (incl MVP season), he was catching passes thrown by Parilli. Since both were Italian, the duo was given the nickname "The Grand Opera." Babe is 85 now, so I didn't know what to expect, but he was absolutely fantastic - razor sharp with an ear to ear grin and seemed genuinely happy to be there. Here is the card I got signed:

Speaking of great guys, we ran into heritage (George) again. If you haven't met George yet, he's just the best! Who said you need to go to the Natty to hang with CU dudes??

I came looking to hook one big fish and came up empty. Other than that, I mostly watched my 11 year old shop and only spent 5 bucks on some randomness that caught my eye:

Dealer-wise, this wasn't the strongest of the 5 Mansfield shows I've been to, but the experience with Parilli made the drive worthwhile. And at $29 total for 3 signed flats, you couldn't beat it!
  • stagno33stagno33 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Dan, I was the guy in the red shirt taking tickets for Parilli. Glad you enjoyed the show. Babe is a super nice guy. He signed for over 3 hours!
  • Sounds like a good time. I wish my shows has signings. They use to but haven't ahd in quite a long time now. Nice that you were able to meet up with another board member. I've met up with one myself and have run into him several times. Very cool to meet people off of hear that love the hobby as much as you do.

Cheers
    Marc
  • I should have mentioned there were 5 autograph guests total - Parilli, former Bruins Gilles Gilbert, Normand Leveille and Shawn Thornton, plus former MLB player John Kennedy. Always a good lineup.

I can't make the next show, but there are 5 guests, including basketball HOFer Bailey Howell.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Dan, thanks for the update. Is the oval-shaped card plastic? It looks like it so I am curious.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan, thanks for the update. Is the oval-shaped card plastic? It looks like it so I am curious. >>

It looks like a Perma-Graphic and if so, yes. Similar material to an old-school phone card.

DB, awesome update as always and looks like you got a couple cool items in addition to the autos!
    Dan thank you for the kind words it's very nice of you. Was nice seeing you and your son.
    I will say nothing better than a father and son hanging out at a card show. Glad you had a good time.

Dan your a good guy yourself.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parilli was one of the Jets Super Bowl team in '69!

Nice auto~the old timers are so much neater with their signatures.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>

<< <i>Dan, thanks for the update. Is the oval-shaped card plastic? It looks like it so I am curious. >>

It looks like a Perma-Graphic and if so, yes. Similar material to an old-school phone card. >>

Yeah, it's a Perma-Graphic, and they are called Superstar credit cards

Tim, you're right, the old time guys have nicer sigs and charge less for them. Love those guys.

George, I hope one day you'll get to meet my other son!
    George, I hope one day you'll get to meet my other son!

I hope so too Dan.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Congrats, Dan.

Parilli was an absolute beast in the AFL once he found a home with the Boston Patriots.

It seems all too few, even in New England, know who he is or how dominant of a QB he was with Boston.

It's somewhat surprising how much be bounced around teams/leagues before becoming a perennial All-Star... wasn't he playing pro ball for almost 10 year prior?

By the way, what is that Yaz card? I am guessing it's from Popsicle since it looks an awful lot like the 1976 Popsicle Teams football set?

Snorto~
  • Yeah, it's funny, Parilli was a journeyman before his time in Boston but I believe he was an AFL All Star at least 3x with the Pats (could be wrong. Didn't look it up).

That Yaz card? Kyle nailed it earlier, it's a Perma-Graphics credit card from 1981.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>That Yaz card? Kyle nailed it earlier, it's a Perma-Graphics credit card from 1981. >>

D'oh, totally spaced out over that discussion. image

Incidentally, here is a not entirely random example of the Popsicle cards I was talking about:

Cheap little set, aside from the very tough header card, with some stars selected for the team photos.

Snorto~
  • Mr. Malzone passed away yesterday. What a nice man. RIP.

• Great thread here for any Sox fans.
  • I wish goddamn CU software would let me change the thread title. I just wanted to honor Malzone on his passing.
  • Add that to the Complaints/Vents etc. thread...
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads like this are very enjoyable!! I remember shows like these in the 80's

and 90's. N.E. Tn. has not had a show of decent size since then. Those

Perma-Graphics sure bring some good memories from the early 80's. Please,

everyone, keep posting your show experiences and finds!! Thanks
  • Girlfriend and I were visiting her parents back in MA for the holidays last weekend so I popped over to the Mansfield show. Had a great time! Picked up a couple Dwight Evans Desert Shields, about 50 raw Red Sox 50s and 60s commons for Topps Sox run, some Variteks for my girlfriend's collection, and got Bob Stanley's autograph:

I asked Bob whether, since he's signed a lot of autographs and has seen a lot of cards, there was a particular card that he just hated looking at. He looked at my '78 RC, and said, "This one. It looks like someone beat the ***** out of me." Either he has the dryest sense of humor on earth or he was really bothered, because he wasn't smiling. I suspect it's the first.

Also I met an eBay seller who I had bought a lot of Evans cards and items from and he told me a great story of his dealings with the world's most prolific Evans collector before she died.

Anyhow, had a great time.

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    danny boy--let me know next show you go to--I'll meet you there
  • Vandweller, I was there too. Didn't get Stanley's auto since I already have it, but I got Pagliarulo and I got Middleton for charrigan.

Manny, sounds like a plan! I'm not going to the next 2, but I'll let you know when I do.