Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a known 1971 Topps variation?

I was going through a large group of 1971 Topps and came across a Frank Reberger card with what I thought was a white print defect. Turns out I have two in the collection like that. I looked for the card on eBay and there are tons without the white mark and none with it. I looked on the PSA 1971 Topps checklist and it does not list a variation (Unlike the Jim Nash 'black blob' variation). Has anyone seen this one before?

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have one and have seen some sellers offer them as variations. I view mine as a recurring print defect rather than a card that was corrected by Topps. But who knows. It is an interesting variant.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    If you can convince them to denote it as the "thought bubble" variation, I'm a buyer.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you can convince them to denote it as the "thought bubble" variation, I'm a buyer. >>

Jeff - Very good. I got a laugh out of that!
    Daniel
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    How did this guy never come up in the Dick Pole and Rusty Kuntz discussions?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revisiting this for more opinions. Right now on eBay, there are 99 examples for sale and none have the 'thought bubble'. There are 22 under 'sold listings' and one does have this marking.
    Daniel
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Recurring but scarce print defect. I doubt that Beckett, SCD or PSA will tag it as a variation for purposes of master checklists, but who knows. PSA has listed the 61 Fairly with a green smudge in the baseball on the back as a variation even though it is a defect found in several 61 cards. And the 57 Bakep and 58 Herrer are also recurring print defects and have achieve legendary hobby status and therefore value. But value depends on it being added to master checklists so people besides mere collectors of recurring print defects, like me, need to have it

Some variants that have not been formally recognized can take off in value anyway...like the 52 House yellow tiger versions, usually because variant collectors are banking on the card eventually being recognized. I collect a lot of recurring print defect and do not see this one making the cut... but I have one just in case image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think he looks like a young Jame Colburn??