Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA 8.5 vs Psa 9

Ok what is the consensus out there is a PSA 8 card is worth $40 and a PSA 9 is worth $205 what's an 8.5 come in at ?
Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    who's the player?

first instinct is maybe $100 or so, but it probably depends

i don't think 8.5s split the difference, they should be closer to 8s than 9s generally in my opinion
  • Bounce - there are a couple of them I'm looking at this example is Hank Aaron another was Nolan Ryan PSA 8 is $55 and a PSA 9 is $390. Just using the SMR as a reference
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends a lot on the card (by this I mean the eye appeal of the card) as well as the pop report in question. How many 9's vs how many 8's and 8.5's. I agree with Bounce that an 8.5 is usually going to fall closer to the 8 than the 9.
    Steve
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    In instances where there is a substantial gap between price for an 8.5 vs. a 9, I'm more than happy to have the 8.5 plus the extra cash to spend on other cards.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

• << <i>......Just using the SMR as a reference >>

No bueno.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • So I've found this to be relatively good equation for cards that don't have the more drastic drop-off from 8 to 9 (there obviously is one)

PSA 8.5 = (PSA 9 - PSA 8)*.3 + (PSA 8)

In laments terms, 30% of the value of the difference between the two cards.

So.... PSA 8.5 = ($205 - $40)*.3 + ($40) = ($165)*.3 + $40 = $49.5 + $40 = ~$90

That's of course a rough estimate, but it's one that I've found to encompass a lot of cards. I'm pretty good at math so I can do the numbers quickly in my head and have a pretty good feel for if the card is priced accordingly or if I need to do some more research.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bounce - there are a couple of them I'm looking at this example is Hank Aaron another was Nolan Ryan PSA 8 is $55 and a PSA 9 is $390. Just using the SMR as a reference >>

so with both of these, especially on Ryan but probably also on Aaron, i agree will depend on the looks of the card

there are a lot of people who would buy a really nice looking 8.5 on ryan and sub for the bump, so in that particular instance i could see the 8.5 splitting the difference more

you want to post pics/links? i realize if you're trying to buy them then this might alert others to some nice cards, but it's obviously easier for people to comment if they can see them
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I spoke with a PSA rep during the last Tri-Star show out here in NorCal and she said "An 8.5 IS a 9. What do you get when you round off 8.5? You get 9. It was graded a nine first then dropped half a grade by a senior grader". She also told me that three people grade one vintage card!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So I've found this to be relatively good equation for cards that don't have the more drastic drop-off from 8 to 9 (there obviously is one)

That's of course a rough estimate, but it's one that I've found to encompass a lot of cards. I'm pretty good at math so I can do the numbers quickly in my head and have a pretty good feel for if the card is priced accordingly or if I need to do some more research. >>

+1
    My experience has been that PSA 8.5's sell for about 25% - 30% more than PSA 8's.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I spoke with a PSA rep during the last Tri-Star show out here in NorCal and she said "An 8.5 IS a 9. What do you get when you round off 8.5? You get 9. It was graded a nine first then dropped half a grade by a senior grader". She also told me that three people grade one vintage card! >>

My head is spinning trying to grasp that quote
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy primarily PSA 8.5 and SGC 92 and in my opinion there is almost no difference between the 8.5s and 9s I have of the same year. On the SGC side centering can be an issue on 92s but the well centered ones stack up well with 9s.

I believe there is more difference between my 8's and 8.5s than between my 9s and 8.5s. I consider the 8.5s and 7.5s (the few I have I am extremely happy with) the bargains of the hobby right now.
  • I've always been happy with cards that I've bought that have a .5 grade.
    They don't seem to give them out that often and on the odd time I've received a half point grade on my own submissions, I've always felt the card was a candidate for a crack and resubmit.
    I just did that with a Lemieux rookie - waiting to see what I get.
  • CsmontieCsmontie Posts: 184 ✭✭
    thanks everyone for the comments and education .... The PSA 8.5 was a 1974 Ryan on Ebay ended up at $112 but it had a print defect lower left corner about 1/2 up, I cant post the link here at work but I am sure someone can find the card it ended last night

• << <i>

<< <i>So I've found this to be relatively good equation for cards that don't have the more drastic drop-off from 8 to 9 (there obviously is one)

That's of course a rough estimate, but it's one that I've found to encompass a lot of cards. I'm pretty good at math so I can do the numbers quickly in my head and have a pretty good feel for if the card is priced accordingly or if I need to do some more research. >>

+1
    My experience has been that PSA 8.5's sell for about 25% - 30% more than PSA 8's. >>

You hit the +1, but in wilkiebaby11's math the PSA 8.5 is 125% more than the PSA 8 (not 25% to 30% more like your experiences show), so I'm not sure if you're agreement with him is accurate.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anthjos had a very nice run of 1974 8.5's yesterday - most of the HOFers got a decent premium over 8's.
    I set 18 snipes, all with a 40-50% premium over PSA8 prices -- only won five of them.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anthjos had a very nice run of 1974 8.5's yesterday - most of the HOFers got a decent premium over 8's.
    I set 18 snipes, all with a 40-50% premium over PSA8 prices -- only won five of them. >>

I hate Anthjos' pictures though....makes it very hard to gage tilt.