Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When was the last time you waited to buy a coin only to it sold while you waited

I had a shilling which was really nice that I wanted to buy but since I wanted to think about it for a few days then I called back the dealer to buy the coin only to hear that to was sold. I'm still kicking myself for waiting.

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh yes, happens to everybody at some point image

I believe there's a saying........

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Happens to me all the time. Saw a nice seated dollar in a dealers case last week. But he was busy with a customer so I thought I would ask on my way back. I got back in time to see in being sold to another customer.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    He who hesitates - loses the coin.

I've done it, but one thing I've learned that if you pass or don't get a coin, another one comes along.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too often, most recently a few weeks ago.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    gets me is those ones
    i'm reading the description to ensure no stock photo crap is going on
    go to hit the buy it now....and it's gone
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Being that I need to research many of my purchases this happens often to me but that is ok as many different coins appeal to me and I am not at this time collecting sets etc.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to talk about it.

I now make split second decisions.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last month, right here. I let a rare date (<100 in the entire census of certifieds) quarter eagle slip away to another member. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had it happen one time too me a few years ago in Baltimore, stepped away to check with a friend on price that had more knowledge than me, wasn't more than 2 min. Step back to get it and it was gone.

Now, I make the decision before I set a coin back down.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>one thing I've learned that if you pass or don't get a coin, another one comes along. >>

The problem is, if you collect rare coins, is it may be 5-10 years before another comes along.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, LOL!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I did shows as a dealer, whenever a collector was waffling on a coin and wanted to haggle price, when I would see them returning I would remove the coin from the case and tell them it had been sold. image I always enjoyed the look on their faces!!! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happened once and it still stings.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't wait.

If I'm on the fence, and we're dickering over price, or I have to convince myself, then I really don't think of it as a loss if someone else comes along.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Once every several years this happens. In hindsight I'm always asking myself why I hesitated.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I did shows as a dealer, whenever a collector was waffling on a coin and wanted to haggle price, when I would see them returning I would remove the coin from the case and tell them it had been sold. image I always enjoyed the look on their faces!!! image >>

Classic! I'll have to remember that one if I ever set up at shows.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I did shows as a dealer, whenever a collector was waffling on a coin and wanted to haggle price, when I would see them returning I would remove the coin from the case and tell them it had been sold. image I always enjoyed the look on their faces!!! image >>

That's downright rotten (lol)...however, if I REALLY like a coin, I keep haggling to a minimum. One has to ask themselves how they would feel if the coin gets away from them.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

So ... then do you tell the collector it's available or do you just let them walk away?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me fairly often, too. Yesterday, in fact.

But one consolation is, it sorta validates one's tastes.

If you are regularly having coins bought out from under you, you must have a good eye for quality, a good bargain, or both.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Happens to me fairly often, too. Yesterday, in fact.

But one consolation is, it sorta validates one's tastes.

If you are regularly having coins bought out from under you, you must have a good eye for quality, a good bargain, or both. >>

Exactly, pretty much validates that you are on the right track, putting a floor on the value of the next one that surfaces. Sometimes, when I've seen a coin sit too long I get nervy about the offer price. I'm looking at a coin right now that is killer but a bit much money for me at the moment. I'm weighing my options.....if it sells I'll prob be relieved, and if it's still around when I can afford it, it's just meant to be I guess. Either way, it's easy for me to move on. The scene is awash in desirable items all vying for my attention and I'll surly swing my crosshairs onto the next piece.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you lose the sale or did you let him in on the joke? If so what was his reaction?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhh yes, happens to everybody at some point image

I believe there's a saying........ >>

....."When you snooze, you lose." Been there, done that. Fortunately, "There are plenty of fish in the sea." is the other saying that applies to this situation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Don't worry. A nicer one will come along.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I did shows as a dealer, whenever a collector was waffling on a coin and wanted to haggle price, when I would see them returning I would remove the coin from the case and tell them it had been sold. I always enjoyed the look on their faces!!!
    So ... then do you tell the collector it's available or do you just let them walk away?

It all depended on their attitude whenever I first dealt with them. If they had been rude about it, I would let them walk away. As I told somebody in my store in Radcliff, KY one time: "I'd rather eat that coin without salt and pepper than to sell it to you at any price!" I never had problems with the guy haggling again whenever I told him my best price.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes! I was at a coin show and asked to see a Wells Fargo SCD in a dealers case. Another dealer who is also standing there asks to see it also, the first dealer hesitates and gives it to the the other dealer who asks how much? They go back and forth once and it is sold. The dealer who sold the coin looks at me and says nothing. Many years later I did find another one that was much better...image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not recently but more than once...I have to think about things for a while sometimes and have lost out maybe a dozen or so times.

K
    ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file