Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got my Russians Back

almost - they are on their way back from PCGS. I was hoping today but now have to wait until Monday. Picked this up in 2013 and just got around to sending them in. I will bump my original thread

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

Or maybe I should say "great", since you have Peter the Great and Katherine the Great. And even if Nicholas II was not so great, he's definitely up there with the other two as far as historical significance goes.

So I guess they allow some leeway for planchet flaws like the Katherine has? I suppose that sort of thing is fairly common on 18th century Russian material.

Great coins, all of 'em. Nice toning.

And it's "great" to see you posting on the Darkside, too!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Katherine did not grade because of the planchet flaw. But is genuine at least.
  • Options
    Oh- wait- Katherine the Great was Katherine II and from the later 1700s.

That's the earlier Katherine, I guess?

Eh. Whatever. Still great. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yes it is the first Catherine - just looked it up. And its Catherine with a C
  • Options
    I know we use a C these days, but it's a K on the coin. image

• Options
    Your right - I am lucky I could figure out the date. Chinese stuff drives me crazy.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love the Nicholas Coronation ruble

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive set of roubles! I think you did well on that submission. I really like the 1724.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    The Coronation Ruble is very impressive. Wonderful toning. The Peter and CI and CII are also nice. I really want to get back to my Russian collection because I only have a few rubles, three I think and I would like to make some additions. But a dearth of material in my price range has really put the cool on that collection. I do not think I have added a Russian piece in over a year. Too much garbage on ebay dug from the ground and the other half of the material is overpriced, at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, and guys - Yekaterina was her name - not Catherine and not Katherine.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Did the 5th one (from the original thread) grade? It looks like it might be a poltina from mid 1720s.
  • Options
    I did not send that one in.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice submission!

That coronation Rouble is gorgeous.

The other ones are great examples for the series. Well done!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really have a good eye! Those are terrific looking coins! image