Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP: Maximinus Denarius

ROMAN EMPIRE. MAXIMINUS I, AD 235-238. AR Denarius, 2.57 g., 20 mm., minted in Rome AD 237. Obv. Laureate draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev. Emperor standing left, between two standards. RIC 5; Cohen 64; BMC 161. NGC MS 5/5, 5/5, Fine Style.

Comments

• a great looking piece, I have one of the same design type image

imageimage
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two coins have different legends.

For Zohar's coin, I cannot quite make out the last 4-letter word on the obverse. It looks like GERM. I that correct? And, the reverse legend of both coins don't mean anything to me.

For Zohar's coin, it looks like MTRPIII COSPP.

For Cory's coin, it looks like PMTRPII COSPP.

Huh?!?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• here's mine and the translations:

Obverse: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG (Commander Maximinus, Pious Emperor), Bust of Maximinus facing right, wearing laurel wreath, drapery and cuirass

Reverse: PM TRPII COS PP (Chief Priest, Tribune of the Common People for the Second Time, Consul, Father of the Country), Maximinus standing facing left, spear in hand, between two military standards

Zohar's coin says MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM which translates to Maximinus, Pious Emperor, Conqueror of the Germans (Germanicus is a title but it was also hereditary at times)
    the reverse of his is the same as mine except his is Tribune of the Plebs for the 3rd time

Because of those titles we can nail it to 237 CE

Maximinus I "Thrax" (The Thracian) was born a "barbarian" and pleaded his way into the army and rose from there, he was supposedly a giant of a man, he was also not a good guy, he's worth reading what little info we have about it, interesting stuff
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect Max Thrax.

The portrait on Z's coin is quite similar to the one I used to have.

Yeah, Max Thrax was supposedly seven or even eight (!) feet tall. Almost certainly there is some ancient hyperbole going on in those accounts, but he was indeed said to have been a giant.

I like his smiling portraits on some of the coins. He has a likable face there, regardless of what the real man was like. ( Which we'll never really know.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Great coin, Zohar and also to NiceCurrency. I have a really beat up Thrax. Something I am looking to upgrade if anyone has one lying around.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice denarius.
    Boy he was one tough looking dude.
    His commanding presence is what got him on track to eventually wear the purple
    OK, I just had to go and dig up the photo of the Max Thrax I had in my first Roman collection (ca. 2007-08).

It's not as high grade as I remembered it being, nor is the portrait quite as similar to Zohar's coin as I'd thought, but it's definitely more similar to Zohar's than it is to NiceCurrency's. And it had a different reverse.

But it did have the "smiley" expression I remembered. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>image >>

Exactly! imageimage

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great beard/hair details just an amazing well graded Denarius!

Cool pick up!
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great beard/hair details just an amazing well graded Denarius!

Cool pick up! >>

I was thinking the same thing about the beard. Amazing detail.