Home U.S. Coin Forum

Percentage chance of fraud with paypal customer in Japan?

So this was something of a surprise, I get paypal payment just shy of $3000 for two $20 gold pieces that are certified MS62 from someone claiming to be from Japan with two names in the email, SUGI YAMA and Arata Miyagi. He said: "I don't need its box or certificate (so you may remove or not it from shipping, you may even ship any ungraded coin of this type with any date), since there is no different for me whether it graded or not, and hence to make faster delivery, please insert both coins in a small padded envelope. Do not forget to inform me with the tracking number when item shipped out. Give me also your number, will call only in case I can't reach you via email. I'm waiting for reply".

So paypal tells me this is an unregistered account. So why is he trying to buy off ebay? Also why does he have a MN and VA US address but wants it shipped to Japan? This happened to me last year from someone claiming to be from Japan and paypal did not recommend I go forward with it.

Comments

• dibdib Posts: 311
    Sounds wicked sketchy to me
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Cancel sale ASAP.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds wicked sketchy to me >>

I couldn't have said it better.
  • Good thing you didn't ship before payment on this one image
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds wicked sketchy to me >>

+2
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So this was something of a surprise, I get paypal payment just shy of $3000 for two $20 gold pieces that are certified MS62 from someone claiming to be from Japan with two names in the email, SUGI YAMA and Arata Miyagi. He said: "I don't need its box or certificate (so you may remove or not it from shipping, you may even ship any ungraded coin of this type with any date), since there is no different for me whether it graded or not, and hence to make faster delivery, please insert both coins in a small padded envelope. Do not forget to inform me with the tracking number when item shipped out. Give me also your number, will call only in case I can't reach you via email. I'm waiting for reply".

So paypal tells me this is an unregistered account. So why is he trying to buy off ebay? Also why does he have a MN and VA US address but wants it shipped to Japan? This happened to me last year from someone claiming to be from Japan and paypal did not recommend I go forward with it. >>

I wouldn't be shocked. Cancel the transaction just as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancel transaction especially if pp advised you on a previous one not to do it. Not worth risk.

While my acct says I am in the global program I have blocked all foreign countries plus will not take funds via paypal from non US addresses and in non US currency. In effect, international bidders are blocked. I can't imagine trying to ship that kind of a big ticket item overseas. My big ticket stuff in that range I sell at shows only and that is for cash or gold coins at melt / CRC at bluesheet. When they see me pull out my blue sheet "sure I take trades, Whadda ya wanna trade me" they go find an ATM real fast lol.

A guy in the Phillipines (facebook friend) wanted to sell me 7 silver pesos, early 1900's (looked around F-VF) for $85. The photo showed one obv and 6 rev. He wanted half in advance via western union and would ship registered mail then payment for other half. I told him I would like to see the obverses of the others and he said his camera was broken. I told him I don't do advances, he can ship them to me, my offer is subject to my sight seen review (with a glass) as to authenticity and grade, then payment via check. He backed out. It looked like a good deal but something like that no guarantee you would get whats pictured plus sight unseen. He kept pestering me so I unfriended him. He had some other coins, it would have been $260 for all and I believe I could have tripled my money. Just seemed too good to be true and he would not meet my terms. Years ago I did buy some world coins from a guy in PA who shipped them me via the same terms and he took 60% of CV. He was a nice fellow to work with. He told me "don't ship cleaned, overgraded back, just discount." The nicest one of the bunch was a really nice early 20th century GB Florin that went PCGS MS64. I had to hold it a long time but got all the money as I wanted about 50% or more above book for unc (MS60). A lot looked at it at shows but would not pay the money, finally it sold when ebay came out in 1998.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the seller didn't ask you to carve their initials into the coin so they can be identified as "his" on arrival. Nothing seems to matter to them....except getting a $20 lib for free.

Have to love the names they chose. Chance of fraud? 99.44%
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run away.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Nothing seems to matter to them....except getting a $20 lib for free. >>

well put

scam

plenty of foreigners in japan, btw.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I had the same scammers from Japan, using different names, with unregistered address send me money as well. Cancel asap!!!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also why does he have a MN and VA US address but wants it shipped to Japan? >>

Call ebay, this should be grounds to have listing cancelled so that you don't have to pay the final valuation fee. Then refund the money via paypal. Then, quit selling outside of the US.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• my Ebay buyer was from Washington, asked me to ship to Japan(unregistered address) I refunded the money cancelled the Ebay transaction, and He left me negative feedback.
  • I spoke to paypal and they said I can't return the bogus money until it gets reviewed. My guess is these people get credit cards and try to do transactions of stuff they can liquidate for cash and then a chargeback happens down the road once the cc issuer or bank realizes they have been swindled.
    check the paypal details page. If it says OK to ship then you still have a problem and need to get back with paypal.

Regardless of what paypal told you, I believe you can still make the paypal refund. I have never heard of anyone not being able to make a refund. I would attempt to refund the money but first talk to ebay about the FVF situation.

<< <i>my Ebay buyer was from Washington, asked me to ship to Japan(unregistered address) I refunded the money cancelled the Ebay transaction, and He left me negative feedback. >>

A call to ebay would have the neg removed. A review of your messages would show them that he asked you to violate seller protection.

• Steve
    The Black Cabinet
    A database of counterfeit coinage.
    http://www.theblackcabinet.org
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd send them some extra gold just to be nice.
  • I got one of these a few weeks back. The guy paypal'ed me $800 directly for a coin I have listed on eBay for $770 and then emailed me saying he wanted the coin shipped express mail. It felt weird that, not having done business with me previously, he wouldn't use the protections eBay afforded him, so I refunded his money same day. The day after I refunded his money, he filed a chargeback with PayPal, and asked for a tracking number for the coin . . . this persisted for a few days. I informed PayPal, and they told me to simply ignore his communications, as he'd been doing the same with other sellers as well.

My instincts turned out to be good . . . hopefully yours will be as well.

<< <i>The guy paypal'ed me $800 directly for a coin I have listed on eBay for $770 and then emailed me saying he wanted the coin shipped express mail. >>

A request for an upgrade to overnight/express delivery after the purchase is a good sign of a scammer trying to get the item before the CC account holder notices an unauthorized charge. The beauty of slow registered mail for expensive items is that a seller has extra days to recall the shipment if something goes wrong.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone name the ebay id's

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my Ebay buyer was from Washington, asked me to ship to Japan(unregistered address) I refunded the money cancelled the Ebay transaction, and He left me negative feedback. >>

Too bad eBay can't/won't replace it with something like "I tried to scam this seller".
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smell smoke some one is going to get burned. image

Hoard the keys.
  • This is what mine looked like. He did not communicate through Ebay, he emailed me through my personal email. I dont have his user ID because it looks like Ebay deleted him from existence.

Sent by:
    Tsuji P Higuchi (The sender of this payment is Unverified)
    Buyer email:
    ohuac@crbw.net
    Payment sent to:

Amount received:
    $790.00 USD
    Fee amount:
    -$23.21 USD
    Net amount:
    $766.79 USD

Date:
    Jan 5, 2015
    Time:
    08:14:53 CST
    Refunded

You have refunded this payment in full.

Subject:
    Tsuji P Higuchi has just sent you $790.00 USD with PayPal
    Note:
    10D 1888 gold liberty included USPS fees toJapan, for shipping details make sure to check your email including spam folder if necessary
    Payment type:
    Instant
  • I refunded the joker. Not only did the credit card payment come to my email/paypal account, but it was a personal payment not one for goods and services. I toyed with the idea of sending him two slugs since "kazao902" had said I could just send him gold 1 oz. coins, here were a couple emails: "Hi, this is about $20 1904 and $20 1900 gold liberty coins. I can do 2980 for both and this includes USPS fees to Japan. Simply create a new auction if this work or send me pyapal invoice, whatever convenience. I'm serious buyer, looking forward to hear from you". Another email: "Hi, I'm waiting for your response and get no answer yet. I have to go soon and was sent $2980 to your paypal account. Sorry I did everything by my self without waiting for your approval. If this unacceptable, just refund the payment. If we can make a deal, then please either create a single auction for both coins or simply keep them offline to avoid any other bidders. You may ship when funds clear (usually 24 hours or less) and I prefer USPS Priority Padded Envelope or USPS Registered mail or USPS 1st Class Mail Int'l, whatever convenience, insurance is optional. Shipping address is:"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file