Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nate's 500 Home Run Club autograph collection

I've been working on a collection of 500 Home Run club autographs, mostly baseballs, for several years now and finally got around to posting them. I'm down to 4 without counting the big three of Ott, Foxx and Ruth. I'll ultimately try and get a Sosa single signed and a Pujols autograph baseball but for now I'm counting them as they are. One of my collector goals for 2015 is to pick up the last 6 including the Sosa and Pujols and then start saving up for the big boys. Thanks for looking!

Eddie Mathews, Ken Griffey Jr. and Ted Williams

Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron

Ernie Banks, Harmon Killebrew and Frank Robinson

Mike Schmidt, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro

Reggie Jackson, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez

Sammy Sosa on a National League All Star signed baseball

Albert Pujols

Gary Sheffield

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
www.questfortherookiecup.com

Comments

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool collection of autos.
  • Options
    Wow, that's a very ambitious project! A Mantle single signed ball is a serious collectible
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    AWESOME AWSESOME AWESOME

Great autos. FYI I noticed the Mays was possibly signed with a felt tip pen/sharpie.

In general try to get them in a blue ball point pen or otherwise over time the auto can run and or fade.

I have the Rom Lewis 500 HR litho (full and small size version) signed by all except the older ones and ped guys
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Mays I had him sign myself at a dinner where he was the guest speaker a couple of years ago and that's all he would use. I recently bought another one from Steiner that's a thinner blue sharpie. He only uses sharpies now because his vision is so bad he can't see when he's signing with an ink pen.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Impressive!
    Good luck this year.
    What's a decent Ruth going for these days?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I love the 500 HR club members from the 50's, 60's and 70's (before the juice ). Seeing your collection beings back memories of my dad, brother and me going to shows in the early 90's and getting a lot of these same signatures. My favorite signature is the Harmon Killebrew. Great penmanship on that autograph. They don't do them like that any more. I remember getting his autograph at the Anaheim National (still the only National I have ever attended). IIRC Killebrew signed for free with paid admission, I got Koufax signing for $20 and Aaron signing for around the same as Koufax at that show. Terrific collection, please continue to share as you get new additions.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Impressive!
    Good luck this year.
    What's a decent Ruth going for these days? >>

Thanks. The Ruth is a $5000 to $10,000 item in mid grade condition. May be a while. image

Believe it or not that would be the easier one in a single signed baseball. Ott and Foxx are toughies to get by themselves on a ball.
  • Options
    Picked up another 500 HR club ball and it arrived today. Got a good price on it and will send it off to PSA soon.

Here you go Indians fans!

Thanks for looking!
  • Options
    Been a while since I've updated this thread. Missed out on a couple of the big three but just added newest 500 HR club member: Big Papi himself

[URL=http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/natester1/media/Mobile Uploads/2015-10/CC3979B9-1D20-4F66-A3A4-9A99CD9DD937_zps14hsfigw.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
  • Options
    Loving the big Papi!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice collection. Thx for sharing

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I'd assume Miguel Cabrera will get there the next 3-4 seasons. However the past two years he's been down a little bit in his totals, he may be a good buy low option. Outside of that though there isn't really a current player I'd put my money on to make it. Unless Beltre plays into his early 40's.
  • Options
    I agree. Miggy C will likely be next but who knows after that.
  • Options
    And then there were two...

Picked up a biggie and the scan doesn't do this one justice. One of the nicest autographs I've ever seen. I fell in love with it when I saw it on ebay and was fortunate to be able to work out a deal for it.

Old double X himself. So pumped about this one!

• Options
    Nice pick up and great collection. Good luck on your final 2.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    thats one of your best..awesome foxx..nice and clean...congrats

do you have any that aren't at 500 but you think will?

please keep sharing..enjoying this...good luck
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    I don't have any now that aren't at 500 but I expect to. I may try to pick up a Cabrera as I think he may be the only "lock" for a while. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts but honestly the next may be Trout and/or Harper. Unless offense picks up it could be a while. I do think it will happen whereas I don't know when or if we will see a 300 game winner again.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    love that Foxx photo with the Wrigley Field scoreboard in the background. Congrats!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Foxx. He and Mel Ott seem to be the forgotten 500 HR club members. Great to see the additions to your collection.
    Steve
  • Options
    And then these was one.....

Here's a biggie for me that came in today's mail. I've been trying for a year to pick up an Ott. I've been outbid at the close three times and now I'm glad I was. I came across this one and fell in love with it. It's got a 1935 Diamond Stars framed with it. Most of the Historic Autographs cards I've seen have lower quality original cards with the cut autograph. This Ott I thought looked really nice and the autograph graded an 8. I'm really excited about this one and now just the Ruth is left.