Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Interesting Piece of Spanish History (Order of Santiago)

Comments

• Options
    quite interesting if it's real! image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    im no expert but from checking with others by the paper type size ink the census is its real. once I find a place to certify and encase it here in HK im going to
  • Options
    PCGS is over there of course, is their other company PSA/DNA represented over there at all?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    If genuine, a nice find indeed. It would be neat to have something signed by Carlos III. He's a King I can respect.

From a cursory glance it appears to be some sort of assignment of Don Gregorio or someone in his employ to a new post in His royal service. I wonder if the coin could actually be related in some way. Was it the first payment to the assignee and they kept the letter and coin and handed it down to their descendants... for over 200 years? A long shot to be sure. But it stirs the imagination.

Thanks for sharing this!

Edited for word usage.. meant descendants.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    PatAR,

they guy was selling the coin and just threw in the document to get a higher bid but had the auction not listed in coins so no one else bid I got it for right at 125$ I believe the coin and paper aren't related other than carlos III is on the coin. but cool none the less. I bought the coin for the paper lol. crazy turn of events

I think ive collected more crazy things from impulse buying when I find a decent deal. ust today bought a 1878 CC morgan. always wanted a CC so I said what the hell. its raw and wasn't too expensive so ill send it to PCGS when it arrives and hope its above MS62 im ok

chris

as far as the sports card graders I don't see anything. I have my wifes family checking authentication places for the document and to get it sealed

EDIT: Here's the original auction quote

Very unique offer. Not another listing like it on eBay that I could find. A very nice Gold half Escudo coin Sevilla Mint and a genuine Royal signed Carolus III King of Spain 1784 " YO EL REY " old sealed 78 Maravedies double paper document with the title of Caballero De La Orden De Santiago in Zaragoza Aranjuez Juin 4th, 1784. Very nice watermark is visible. This was actually signed by the same King of Spain that is depicted on the coin.

the document is concerning the Order of Santiago