Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Sharing my 1959 Topps Braves Team PSA 10-starting the Braves registry set

Hello to all!! I am new to collecting the 1959 Topps. Well, just collecting the Braves Team anyway. I hope to get all the TRUE homerun king Hank cards in a PSA 9. Everything else can be a mix of 8's for the pricey ones, 9's and 10's for the common. I think it is great that 9's and 10's can be obtained at decent prices in this set! I look forward to putting together the Braves set, and slowly bumping up when I can. I just registered on the 1959 Braves Team page, but I only have 4 cards so far, I just started. I would like to share my first catch. Amazing example of a PSA 10! 4 sharp corners, 4 smooth edges, 50/50 front and back! really like this card!

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 419 MILWAUKEE BRAVES TEAM PSA 10 1 of 3_zpsezqiejsy.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp card. I am working on the '59 set but haven't added to it in awhile.
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What a gorgeous card. Good luck on the set.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed every time I see a card from the 50s that pulls a 10. Beautiful card, C49T!
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!! Great Braves teams in that era. Aaron, Mathews, Spahn, Crandall, Buhl, etc. I believe Hawk Taylor, reserve catcher/bonus baby, was on that team. I knew him well. He passed away a year or two ago.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• << <i>I'm amazed every time I see a card from the 50s that pulls a 10 >>

Same here
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    A very worthy project. A great looking set of a fantastic team. Your Roach and Covington 8's are both very nice.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure perfection!

I hope Mariner sees this card. I'm sure he'll be chartreuse with envy.

Thanx!
    Mike
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful! Love the 59 set.

"Molon Labe"

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful card. I look forward to updates of your set.
  • Thank you for all the great comments, I appreciate it! My collecting was all over the place, pre 1991 braves, tigers, 49ers, chargers, lakers. It was hard for me to decide what to keep, what to let go. So I made up my mind to just focus on one or two sets. To find that balance of price in being able to get some PSA 9's and/or 10's, without breaking the bank, along with it being vintage. And as you can see it is 1959 Topps Braves team set. Very happy with my choice. I really like the late 1950's braves players, so it was easy to pick this set.

I just picked up a Crandall PSA 9, that was cool. I hope to fill out the set in mostly PSA 8/8.5, along with affordable common 9's, and the occasional common 10.

I added a sig with a link to the set. I am only just starting out, so I only have a handful of cards. Looking forward to progress as the years go on.
  • pm sent
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Well, I went away from the Braves team set to getting a little bit of everything from 1959 Topps. Am having a great time doing it! I am looking forward to finding a nice mays and aaron someday! I did pick up this great condition 1959 Topps empty box and a wrapper! What great additions!! I can't afford the entire 1959 set, and I don't want 40 braves team cards in psa 8. I'd rather have the HOFer's in this set, the big boys, and have a little bit of everything. Here is the box and wrapper I picked up.

Question: I am still trying to learn about the boxes and wrappers. Are all the series boxes and wrappers the same? I know the Final Series box has a sticker on it. But other then that, no way to tell them apart? And same with wrappers? Unless unopened pack, no way to tell what series?

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS BASEBALL EMPTY DISPLAY BOX PIC 1_zpsrkfrkt52.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS BASEBALL EMPTY DISPLAY BOX PIC 2_zps9292i99p.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 5C WRAPPER PIC 1_zpsa6ehbaau.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • I'm confused. The thread title says you're collecting the Braves team set, but your latest post says you're not. You show off the box and wrapper you added, but then list it for sale on BST and eBay. So what exactly are you collecting?
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The box on eBay is not the same one shown here.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The box on eBay is not the same one shown here. >>

+1.

Also, he doesn't say he is necessarily abandoning his Braves set collecting, just expanding to different areas.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • LOL! Sorry for the confusion! To clarify, yes, I still want some Braves cards, but I don't want 20 PSA 8 cards at $20 each. I took that same amount of money and recently purchased 1959 Mantle All Star PSA 8. Since I can't have everything, I might as well expand into fewer cards of higher quality. I'll take 1 all star mantle psa 8 over 20 psa 8 braves cards any day of the week. If I could have them all I would! However, some Braves and a mix of HOFer's is very nice! Thanks PaulMaul and Grote15, yes, not the same box. I don't need 2 boxes. So I am sharing the one I kept! And hoping someone will enjoy the one I have for sale! I picked 1959 because it seems many cards can be purchased for less than earlier 1950's, I wanted to collect something from the 1950's without going flat broke. This works great for me!! 1959, still in the 50's, amazing players, mays, mantle, aaron, snider, Gibson, kaline, various braves players. Just having a great time with it! Feel like a kid again!! image
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting the Milwaukee Braves sets for a few years now. Have most of them completed from 53-58. I'll be starting the 59 when I get within a few of completing 57 and 58. The earlier years aren't the grade I'd like, but I'm focusing mostly on PSA 6 - PSA 8. The 53's and 54's are harder/expensive to come by vs 57's and up.

Anyway, I like the 59 set, and LOVE your team card. Collect what you like, but stay focused, or you'll find yourself not knowing what to want. Cheers!
  • Thanks for clarifying, seems like you're having a blast, which is what it's all about. Would love to see your Mantle and some of your other star cards! 59 is one of my favorite sets.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Collecting anything from the Topps 1959 set is at least a good distraction from this year's Lakers image..

The 59 set was the first Topps set I finished and a sentimental favorite. There is a good thread on the 59 set in the Registry Forum, where Don ( Mariner) regularly posts some gorgeous cards.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • tottalyrad: if you want, share a few pics here! would love to see them! congrats on all those years of sets!! Thanks for the comment on the team card! I agree, PSA 6-8 on the older 50's! Yes, I am trying to stay focused!! Not easy! ha!

Danbessette: Thank you sir! Nice to know you also like the 59 set! I'll post the mantle for you. It's tilted in the holder, not as off center as it looks with the tilt scan. I am very happy with it!

bishop: LOL! Banging my head against the wall is a better distraction then the lakers!! Thanks to all for the comments!

Feel free to post pics!!

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 564 MICKEY MANTLE ALL STAR PSA 8_zps2inj28o3.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    1959 Oddities

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Thank you for the great items!!!!!!!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭