Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980's Sleeper Investment

What is your sleeper investment from the
1980's....any sport in wax, set, single card etc?
Mine is the Bird/Magic RC in really any grade

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine is the Bird/Magic RC in really any grade >>

I wouldn't really call that a sleeper...
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1982 Topps Pascual Perez - no position on front
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    1988-1989 score hottest rookies set. Finding a Biggio and randy johnson centered and with nice corners is really tough. Roberto alomar is also in the set. The last Biggio psa 10 sold for over $400 and the sets go for about $5-10

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Whichever term is used, I think the bird RC is a bit undervalued and still has some upside.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whichever term is used, I think the bird RC is a bit undervalued and still has some upside. >>

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>What is your sleeper investment from the
    1980's....any sport in wax, set, single card etc?
    Mine is the Bird/Magic RC in really any grade >>

<< <i>Whichever term is used, I think the bird RC is a bit undervalued and still has some upside. >>

The Bird Magic card is a good one but my favorite is the Bird Magic showing on the back of an unopened wax pack. So rare and quite inexpensive. It sells for a fraction of the PSA 9 graded card while modern basketball unopened pack showing rookies often sell for more than the PSA 10 prices.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

When I re entered the hobby 3 years ago, the card that I started buying was that Bird/Magic, thinking at that time it was incredibly undervalued. And it is the card brought up in this forum more than any other as being undervalued. Yet, people were paying 1200-1400 back then and not a substantial amount more since, while other cards have skyrocketed.

I totally agree it's undervalued but apparently the market doesn't think so...

It reminds me of my OPC bandwagon a while back. I was sure collectors would catch on to how undervalued and rare those are. But they still sit today at similar prices.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    89 Bowman Tiffany Ken Griffey Jr. PSA 10
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options
    Not much of a sleeper:

1988 Best Platinum San Bernadino Spirit Griffey in PSA 9 or 10

Only 1300 sets produced. 73 in PSA 9 and a pop of 8 in PSA 10. Can't see these pop numbers going up too much more. That paired with an incredible demand appetite for Jr. makes for a winner.

To put in perspective, 1989 UD #1 has almost 20k in PSA 9 and 2335 in PSA 10 and could those pop numbers could still double or triple easily.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps 1980 Coins
    Topps 1982 Blackless
    Topps. 1984 Encased
    Topps 1985 Minis
    Topps 1988 Cloth
    Topps 1989 Big Headed Suckers
    Topps 1984 Darryl Palmer # 800
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    1981 Topps unopened... not that it's much of a sleeper anymore at $275 a wax box, but that will probably double in five years.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Topps 1984 Darryl Palmer # 800 >>

Too bad there isn't a Tiffany of that one. image
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1988-1989 score hottest rookies set. Finding a Biggio and randy johnson centered and with nice corners is really tough. Roberto alomar is also in the set. The last Biggio psa 10 sold for over $400 and the sets go for about $5-10 >>

Definitely an under-rated set...probably because many collectors don't know much about it. In addition to a print run of only 200,000 sets (fairly low compared to any mainstream release from the 1980s), they are sharp looking cards with the bright, solid blue borders. Condition sensitive as well like you said, making the Randy Johnson and Craig Biggio nice cards to chase in a PSA 10. Also, not that it has a lot of value, but the set also contains David Justice's only true rookie card.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Topps 1980 Coins
    Topps 1982 Blackless
    Topps. 1984 Encased
    Topps 1985 Minis
    Topps 1988 Cloth
    Topps 1989 Big Headed Suckers
    Topps 1984 Darryl Palmer # 800 >>

I like this list most of all. I'd love to eventually get my hands on a 1988 Topps Cloth Glavine.

The 85 Minis are a steal now. Still kicking myself for passing up on the lot in LOTG with the Ryan.