Home Testing Forum
Options

Test

I was looking through some of the David Hall Morgan Set Prices Realized and while some did well others sold for discounted prices even with CAC stickers on them. So what happened? A few thoughts as to why.

1. Coins Were Sold with No Reserve – So as always some will fall through the cracks

2. The Pedigree was not listed on the holder i.e. Davis Hall's name on the holder would have helped a great deal

3. Not a big marketing push in online banner ads specific to this collection. The marketing I saw was more around the auction house name rather than the collection

4. "Boutique" Auction without a well-known niche = Maybe/Maybe Not - when you think of Goldberg's you think of Copper

5. Focus on Marketing the "Legend" name rather than the current sale - See Pic Below. I see no mention of the David Hall Collection only the name”

6. Toned Coins are really a person personal preference some like dark toned coins while some like lighter ones while some like deep bold colors and some collect only blast white coins so it segments the market

7. CAC (in terms of market segmentation within a collection - let me explain) - CAC highlights the high end for the grade. TRUE. Which sell for high end prices. Mostly TRUE. To more knowledgeable collectors. Generally TRUE. When a collection is sent to CAC it also highlights those that are NOT high end for the grade. TRUE. Which sell for lower end prices. Mostly TRUE. To less knowledgeable or bargain minded collectors. Generally TRUE.

8. CAC (In terms of highlighting the low end coins) Rick Snow says this best:
The big problem we discovered [with the] Photo Seal was that we could not sell the coins that were not photo sealed to our customers - even at a discount…..listing a coin as "Overgraded, but cheap" - who wants a coin like that….even at a sharp discount.

9. Poor Auction Sell thru Rates - AKA Coins Did Not Meet Reserve - 40 Coins Did Not Sell Out of 325 or 12.3%

These are not meant to bash an auction house or a collection they are just my personal observations about the sale and can be things that are meant to be constructive criticism that can help the auction house by changing in the future.

What do you think?