Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ebay/USPS shipping issue

Never had this issue before, but Monday I sent out a package with a shipping label/postage created through ebay. The package was a flat rate priority envelope, the address was in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I check tracking after the buyer sent me a message on it, saying it shows delivered to Smyrna, TN I checked it and sure enough, it shows delivered. Not even the right city or even state.

Since the priority envelope comes with insurance and the item was under $50, I am not concerned about the value of the item. My question is has anyone ever had this and the package turn up eventually? Even though it is insured, I am sure the buyer would still like the item and I would feel better knowing the USPS is not THAT incompetent
IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

Comments

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you didn't mix cards? I have done that before......double check your address and packages that you sent out for the day.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you sure you didn't mix cards? I have done that before......double check your address and packages that you sent out for the day. >>

Thats just it, I only sent out one package that day....also, I have not sent a package to Smyrna, TN, I went back and checked addresses for the entire week before.
    make sure the dates and everything jive. There was a time about a month ago where USPS was recycling tracking numbers (as far fetched as that sounds, it's true). I would check the number on to find out the package had already been delivered before I even went to the post office!! Make sure the acceptance date and the original shipping location jive up.
    The dates all match up as they should, the only thing that is odd is that it shows delivered at 5:44am.

I seriously doubt mail was being delivered at that hour.
    But the acceptance date and time and location all look correct? The pattern of cities along the route all look normal until it gets to the delivery? I would call postmaster immediately. Once you get on there, hit 0 a bunch of times until you get to speak to a live person.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a package that shows it was delivered by the USPS on Sunday Feb 22. Last time I checked the post office didn't deliver on Sunday.
    James
    Copied from USPS site:
    Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 11:03 AM LAURENS , SC Delivered

<< <i>But the acceptance date and time and location all look correct? The pattern of cities along the route all look normal until it gets to the delivery? I would call postmaster immediately. Once you get on there, hit 0 a bunch of times until you get to speak to a live person. >>

I plan on going to the po tomorrow am

Below is the transcript....usually once it leaves Nashville, the next destination would be Atlanta for packages going to GA. Smyrna is located about 30 miles South of Nashville and it isnt a major USPS hub, so it makes no sense for it to be even close to there during the trip

Carrier:USPS

Delivered
    Feb-24-15, 05:44 AM, SMYRNA, TN 37167

Arrival at Unit
    Feb-23-15, 23:44 PM, NASHVILLE, TN 37230

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
    Feb-23-15, 22:44 PM, NASHVILLE, TN 37230

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
    Feb-23-15, 21:29 PM, DICKSON, TN 37055
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.
    I'm sure the PO will want to correct this.

Also tells you the recipient is most likely not honest.

He had YOUR address and you phone number can then easily be tracked down.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a package that shows it was delivered by the USPS on Sunday Feb 22. Last time I checked the post office didn't deliver on Sunday.
    James
    Copied from USPS site:
    Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 11:03 AM LAURENS , SC Delivered >>

I actually have received a package on Sunday, was very surprised when the USPS pulled into my driveway that morning. It was some sort of online big box retailer order, so I don't know if there was some sort of special service or something.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Don't go to the PO and ignore what Bobby is telling you. It's not your fault, clearly. Call national USPS customer service and tell them to open a case on a misdelivered item. Most likely, as James pointed out, it was not actually delivered and was mistakenly scanned as such. If it was, you'll want them to contact the local PO in the area to shake it loose. Overall, don't listen to doomsayers--USPS frequently is inefficient, but almost always gets packages to where they were intended to go eventually. Especially if you're prosctive and handle it correctly.

<< <i>Don't go to the PO and ignore what Bobby is telling you. >>

Bobby is telling him the way to contact customer service! When you dial the number, you HAVE to hit 0 multiple times! They DO NOT want you to speak to a live operator. Those phone mazes would rather keep you in limbo and repeatedly say "A representative is not available right now". Ignore the operator when she says that and keep hitting '0'. Eventually, they will let you through and speak to a live agent. You do have to keep hitting '0', like in the neighborhood of 15-20 times.
  • I meant your primary response that the issue was due to seller error.

<< <i>I meant your primary response that the issue was due to seller error. >>

I had to start with the obvious. Even computer repair people tell you the reset your modem. Even sometimes a 'check engine' light is a faulty gas cap. When you start with the obvious it eliminates some of the problems. My information is viable, as I have had my share with this problem more than my fair share of times. To tell him to totally ignore what I am saying is not smart. He would sit in the phone maze forever, until he gets frustrated and hangs up.
  • To handle phone mazes generally, the best advice I have is liberal use of www.gethuman.com (seriously). They publish life-hack shortcuts for all major CS/help lines. It's a bit more nuanced than "mash 0 on repeat", but that's a minor quibble. I would assume that the OP could handle it once they dialed in, without us adding that piece of information. I'd rather start by directing the OP to USPS CS, as it is the best recourse in the overwhelming amount of situations, than walking them through a set of questions that presume pretty unlikely user error. Just depends on what you think it means to be "helpful"!
  • the misroute constantly....it should reroute
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a package that shows it was delivered by the USPS on Sunday Feb 22. Last time I checked the post office didn't deliver on Sunday.
    James
    Copied from USPS site:
    Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 11:03 AM LAURENS , SC Delivered >>

Getting a bit OT here, but I have seen my mail carriers delivering packages on Sundays now. I thought it was going to be just during Christmas but they have continued to do so. Weird, the USPS goes from almost cutting Saturday mail deliveries to now delivering 7 days a week! image
  • My understanding is that USPS has an arrangement to do so in partnership with Amazon and that it is limited to certain areas.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "I have a package that shows it was delivered by the USPS on Sunday Feb 22. Last time I checked the post office didn't deliver on Sunday."
    James

As another poster mentioned above the USPS seems to being doing some Sunday deliveries. Last Sunday I saw the USPS truck pull into the neighborhood and stop in front
    my across the street neighbor's house and go to the front door to deliver a package.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

<< <i>"I have a package that shows it was delivered by the USPS on Sunday Feb 22. Last time I checked the post office didn't deliver on Sunday."
    James

As another poster mentioned above the USPS seems to being doing some Sunday deliveries. Last Sunday I saw the USPS truck pull into the neighborhood and stop in front
    my across the street neighbor's house and go to the front door to deliver a package. >>

I saw that as well (a local USPS jeep in our neighborhood last Sunday). I thought USPS always had Sunday delivery, but it was only for next day/express packages? I will ask the postal clerks when I go in person today as to their take on the matter.

• << <i>

<< <i>"I have a package that shows it was delivered by the USPS on Sunday Feb 22. Last time I checked the post office didn't deliver on Sunday."
    James

my across the street neighbor's house and go to the front door to deliver a package. >>

I saw that as well. I thought USPS always had Sunday delivery, but it was only for next day/express packages? I will ask the postal clerks when I go in person today as to their take on the matter. >>

USPS has an arrangement to do so in partnership with Amazon and it is limited to certain areas.

<< <i>Good luck.

He had YOUR address and you phone number can then easily be tracked down. >>

Just curious as to why you would think this? Are you referring to the person that might have had it accidentally delivered to them or the buyer? Also, why would they have my phone number?

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck.

He had YOUR address and you phone number can then easily be tracked down. >>

Just curious as to why you would think this? Are you referring to the person that might have had it accidentally delivered to them or the buyer? Also, why would they have my phone number? >>

I think what they are referring to, is that if you have a transaction with someone on Ebay, you can easily request their contact info with one click on a button, including their phone number. It's a little hidden, but easily doable.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    As a PO Box holder, I can confirm that they will quite often deliver packages to PO Boxes on Sundays. Not sure if that's the same everywhere or just at my PO (which is the main PO for my city).
    UPDATE!!!!!!

Went to the PO this morning and found out that my package, along with a 100 or so others, was "accidentally" bundled and sent to a large business in the Smyrna, TN area instead of the Georgia distribution center it was supposed to go to...they called it mislabeled on the bundle. According to them, these bundles are "bulk scanned", so my package along with many others shows "delivered" to Smyrna TN, even though the addresses on all the packages do not match the location. They are saying it will take a few days for the company to sort through the packages (I am assuming they got more than one bundle) to be sure all of the ones they should have received are kept and the ones from the mislabeled bundle are returned to the PO for correct sorting.

I guess all is well except for the buyer will get his package a few days later and my 2 day priority mail is going to be about 8-9 days.
    Also as a further update to a previous issue I had. I sent a package out on DECEMBER 26, 2014 to Sutton, Alaska. By the 15th of January 2015, I resent another package (I had extras), it made it and was delivered on Jan 19th. The original package was delivered TODAY!!!! February 23rd...nearly TWO MONTHS LATER.

USPS FTW