Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is this a legit rack??

Really interested, I need opinions:

linky

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a rack I would be concerned with someone faking, personally.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know someone was fabricating 1981 Topps racks with three same-team players on top a while back. Can't remember if it was bruingirl, or this seller, or if this is just a buyer of one of those now tossing it back in. I'm sure others here can recall more than I.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was bruingirl who was selling resealed racks. That rack looks fine to me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marchant cards has been around a very long time both on ebay and all thru the good ole SCD days.

Plus, why mess with a rack pack for 30 bucks? Just wouldn't make sense IMO.
    Mike
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone resealing '81 racks is in a pretty sorry and desperate place. What's next, resealing 1988 Donruss?
  • I've been working on resealing 87 topps racks with bonds and McGwire on top. Should have many available in the next few months. Gotta put the kids through college somehow. 😄
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was bruingirl who was selling resealed racks. That rack looks fine to me. >>

There you have it. My whiskey-riddled brain failed me again.

But there are definitely some bad 1981 racks out there and they were really weird setups too. If I remember correctly, the seller wasn't even looking for much either so the price tag is not something one should use for qualification.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marchant cards has been around a very long time both on ebay and all thru the good ole SCD days.

Plus, why mess with a rack pack for 30 bucks? Just wouldn't make sense IMO. >>

If legit, which is in question, it would go great in my Tigers mancave.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Months ago I purchased a relatively pricey rack from Marchant and it arrived with a nice little piercing. I revisited the listing and it was neither mentioned nor discernible in the photo. I ultimately came to the conclusion that a minute impalement was exacerbated due to the fact that they stacked the rack (one of my biggest pet peeves) instead of pancaking it. I contacted them expecting a sprint through quicksand, but their response couldn't have been any better: a sincere apology coupled with refunds of both the return shipping and the item itself before it ever got back to St. Louis.

Based on how beautifully they handled my experience, I'd say the light is green. I would just politely ask them to eschew folding to be on the safe side.
  • Speaking of racks and sorry to interrupt your question, but I recently bought a sealed 85 topps rack case and the rack boxes were white, was that normal? Never saw this before.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I can vouch for the Marchants... I've been buying from them for nearly 20 years. I'd say it's legit.