Home Sports Talk

Josh Hamilton and massive suspension

halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
What did he do this time?
Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    supposedly it is another bout with drugs they say.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard that he is being suspended for continuing to suck .
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Too bad. It was a good story of overcoming his addiction. I hope he can get back to his high level of play eventually.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    I heard that he is being suspended for continuing to suck .

word. image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I heard that he is being suspended for continuing to suck . >>

Have some compassion for people that suffer addictions.You would not be making this uncalled for remark if it were you or a loved one dork!!!! >>

Its one thing to have compassion for someone that has an addiction and its another thing when someone has been given chance after chance.

He can do all the drugs he wants but not while being an overpaid MLB player.

BTW Tony the Gumba, who were you before you got bammed?
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ZEEEEEEEEEEEERO pity, empathy, sadness, prayers or anything remotely related to sympathy for this clown. I just read that this time he went on a cocaine bender a few months ago. No doubt this has endeared him to Angels management and teammates.

Here is this guy with the world by the tail, doing what most of us could only dream of and making a bazzzzzzzzzzzzillion dollars PLAYING baseball for 6 months a year. What was it ? 5 years and $125 m ??? He could easily buy a new corvette every day if he wanted, have almost anything imaginable...but nooooooooooo, he gotta do some blow and destroy it all. Surely he knew he'd get busted and couldn't pass a p$ss test for the boy scouts.

LLLOOOOOOOOOOOZZZER!!! Ban him for life and Arod too.

Maybe a humbling job slamming burgers at Wendy's at minimum wage will help him.

So, all you bleeding hearts just keep on bleeding and having sympathy for this jerk.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Surely he knew he'd get busted and couldn't pass a p$ss test for the boy scouts. >>

Allegedly, he went to MLB and informed them tests would come positive for blow, so they may consider a lower penalty. Pay me $25MM per year and I wouldn't have any problem finding ways to resist the temptation of doing *any* illegal drugs.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hamilton is suffering from a progressive fatal disease. Unless you suffer from the same thing you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

If he continues to use he will (and should) lose his baseball career. I for one hope he doesn't lose his life.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

I have about 5 idiot family members that are on the same road. All between the age of 17 and 30 . I'm long past the point of sympathy for any of them. My 23 year old niece just had her kid taken away by the state because she likes to snort prescription drugs. Her 73 year old grandmother is now stuck watching a 1 year old baby . She wasn't raking in millions though so she probably had more excuses to be a screw up.

<< <i>Hamilton is suffering from a progressive fatal disease. Unless you suffer from the same thing you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

If he continues to use he will (and should) lose his baseball career. I for one hope he doesn't lose his life. >>

I DO KNOW what Im talking about, I see the same guys day after day year after year after year in jail for the same old story, and that is drugs, the guy paid his dues and cleaned up and made the decision to go back to drugs knowing full well where it would lead him to, and here he is and you guys are are feeling bad for the guy? Gimme a break, he has been given a second chance and has made millions of dollars playing baseball and decided to "Go down that road" again, Im not saying crucify the guy but gimme a break, Im not wishing any harm on him and I ofcourse wish the guy well but it is what it is.

And shame on the Angels for signing him to that STUPID contract knowing full well he is one beer away from spiralling out of control AGAIN.

And another thing My father is a former combat veteran from Vietnam, Marine Corps grunt and came home with a terrible heroine addiction back in 1969 and gave it up in 1974 and has stuck to it ever since, he gave it up for the family not some stupendous MLB big money contract.

And to Tony the Gumba, welcome back if it is in fact you fiveniner. I remember your handle and you were always a great poster, I do disagree with you though and also find it very hard to believe that you actually ARE fiveniner after your ridiculas "Dork" comment, talk about childish and ignorant lol

<< <i>

<< <i> Surely he knew he'd get busted and couldn't pass a p$ss test for the boy scouts. >>

Allegedly, he went to MLB and informed them tests would come positive for blow, so they may consider a lower penalty. Pay me $25MM per year and I wouldn't have any problem finding ways to resist the temptation of doing *any* illegal drugs. >>

And +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 for a Barry sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageimageimageimageimage

HI Barry!!!! image

• I also have ZERO sympathy for Mr. Hamilton.

Strong body/Weak mind. What a shame.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has all the resources in the world and every reason and opportunity to overcome his addiction.

May sound cold, but it is what it is. There are far more deserving people worthy of our pity and compassion. JMHO...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wife and 4 kids. get well Josh.
    For all the bleeding hearts for Josh Hamilton...just google or duckduck his name and read the Wikipedia stats on his drug usage. This insanity has been ongoing since 2001...that's 14 years ago...and he still hasn't gotten the message? That MLB has put up with him for all these years is crazy. I have no problem with meeting with ole buds at some cabin in the woods and puffing away, but this guy is way beyond Pluto abuser!!! The irony here is all those "speeches" he appears to have given about abuse...phony crap.

Anybody remember Steve Howe, pitcher for the Yankees from the early to mid 90s??? He was beyond a drug user/abuser, yet they let him play and play and play. I distinctly remember watching him walk across the field from the visiting pitchers bullpen to the dugout at Fenway Park. Looked like the guy didn't have a problem or care in the world. Oh yeah...Steve Howe is dead...rolled his truck over in Coachella, CA and killed himself...autopsy indicated he had meth in hit system. He's been gone 9 years...dead at 48.

To me Hamilton is just a selfish egotist who has put his family through the wringer...can't imagine what his wife is going through. Not knowing the ages of his kids, but surely if they're in school, they are catching some serious heat from classmates, who, as we all know, can be brutal beyond words at a young age. It isn't just about Hamilton...there's a LOT of pain to go around.
    Thank you for the kind words Tony, I am very proud image
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hamilton is a clown. My compassion is for his family and friends.

Enough is enough, Josh.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Josh Hamilton has a disease. For those of you that say you have zero compassion, you simply don't understand that he has this disease and what it is. Ten years ago I would have said the same thing. I understand your point of view, because it comes from ignorance. And I mean ignorance in reference to the definition of it, meaning just not knowing. Not knowing what addiction is. It's hereditary, generic, and a beast. It's no different than cancer, bipolar, diabetes, or any other disease. It has to be treated. The difference is there is no medication to treat it. It's treated with meetings, a community, and reaching out to others that have the same disease.

Hamilton did everything right after the relapse. He told MLB. He admitted his relapse before the drug test. He may have been able to get away with it. Instead, he did the thing he had to do and that was telling everyone. If he had lied, that lie would have turned into more lies, more using, and a potential downward spiral that could have been fatal.

The stats don't lie. The disease causes more fatalities at a young age than any other, by far. He is in a world of hurt and suffering right now and my concern is for his life, not his career. My prayers are with him.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addiction is a beast, yes, but equating it with a disease like cancer is not appropriate, mo. At some point, one must take personal responsibility for their choices and their behavior. It's easier of course to blame other factors but plenty of individuals either overcome or choose not to use narcotics in the first place, despite the risk factors.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Lets do an informal poll , raise your hand if you would like cancer, anyone...... anyone?

Anyone who has a disease like MS , cancer , diabetes , if someone said hey its tuesday if you want to not have cancer just say so and it will be gone , will those people say no I'll stick with the cancer gimmie that cancer I love it ?

The addicts in my family are losers , while the rest of us are busting our ass to get by they coast , they lie, they cheat , they take advantage of the rest of us on a daily basis. Sometimes they get in their cars and kill people they don't know , they harm countless people that do nothing to them and they don't care.

My niece that lost custody of her daughter is busy posting on facebook how much she misses her daughter but shes doing none of the things she needs to do to get her back . Which is good actually because she couldn't be trusted to raise a hamster .

Rich addicts are 10 times worse because so many people would be happy with a tiny slice of what they have been given and yet it means nothing to them.

<< <i>Addiction is a beast, yes, but equating it with a disease like cancer is not appropriate, mo. At some point, one must take personal responsibility for their choices and their behavior. It's easier of course to blame other factors but plenty of individuals either overcome or choose not to use narcotics in the first place, despite the risk factors. >>

Exactly
    Paul...

Was glad to read your dad was able to overcome his addiction and get his life back together. I was in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam from 11/69 to 11/70, lots of guys were into some serious pot smoking, but I never knew of those hooked on heroin. I think pot was kinda condoned there as a recreational thing...however, I was a little "insulated" from the usage as I was a Captain and pretty much hung out at the Officer Club each night. The Officer's Club was more of a shack, but you get the idea...we did have a shuffle board though and a bar...think MASH.

My "addiction" was cigarettes. At one time I was pounding away a bit more than 3 packs of Lucky Strikes a DAY !! Crazy times. The day, the very day I got home from Vietnam, November 6th, 1970, I quit cold turkey. Kinda sucked for a few days, but I broke away from the addiction to nicotine. Nothing anywhere near what your dad had to do, but I got off the cigs and was better for it.

Best to you...let's hope for a great Sox season!!!

Al

<< <i>Paul...

Was glad to read your dad was able to overcome his addiction and get his life back together. I was in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam from 11/69 to 11/70, lots of guys were into some serious pot smoking, but I never knew of those hooked on heroin. I think pot was kinda condoned there as a recreational thing...however, I was a little "insulated" from the usage as I was a Captain and pretty much hung out at the Officer Club each night. The Officer's Club was more of a shack, but you get the idea...we did have a shuffle board though and a bar...think MASH.

My "addiction" was cigarettes. At one time I was pounding away a bit more than 3 packs of Lucky Strikes a DAY !! Crazy times. The day, the very day I got home from Vietnam, November 6th, 1970, I quit cold turkey. Kinda sucked for a few days, but I broke away from the addiction to nicotine. Nothing anywhere near what your dad had to do, but I got off the cigs and was better for it.

Best to you...let's hope for a great Sox season!!!

Al >>

Wow Al, Captain huh? Very impressed, Thank You for your service and the kind words.

Looking forward to the SOX! image
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My empathy is gone for Hamilton. He has been afforded the means to do everything in his power to kick this habit, yet he relapses time and again. Most infuriating (at least to me) is the fact that he was indirectly involved in a life-changing event that proved to be little more than a speed bump on his current path to utter destruction. Anyone recall 2011 when he threw a bp ball to a man who reached for it and plummeted to his death? Right in front of his 6-year-old son, no less? I don't know about any of you guys, but if that happens to me I'm overhauling my life -- especially if I had children. But unfortunately for this guy, even a firsthand account of life's fragility can't dissuade him.

Most people choose to live; Josh Hamilton is clearly opting to die prematurely. He's one Len Bias episode away from leaving his children fatherless, just like the aforementioned boy who was simply attending a game with his dad.

<< <i>My empathy is gone for Hamilton. He has been afforded the means to do everything in his power to kick this habit, yet he relapses time and again. Most infuriating (at least to me) is the fact that he was indirectly involved in a life-changing event that proved to be little more than a speed bump on his current path to utter destruction. Anyone recall 2011 when he threw a bp ball to a man who reached for it and plummeted to his death? Right in front of his 6-year-old son, no less? I don't know about any of you guys, but if that happens to me I'm overhauling my life -- especially if I had children. But unfortunately for this guy, even a firsthand account of life's fragility can't dissuade him.

Most people choose to live; Josh Hamilton is clearly opting to die prematurely. He's one Len Bias episode away from leaving his children fatherless, just like the aforementioned boy who was simply attending a game with his dad. >>

Yes but that's you. None of us have a clue what was going on in Hamilton's head after that incident. I get the lack of empathy from people who haven't seen it first hand with family and friends, and by no means do I think he deserves free passes over and over again for baseball specifically, but the lack of empathy for his life is a shame. Again, the point I want to emphasize is he handled the relapse the way he should have. No hiding or denying. He owned it. Whether or not he's done with baseball is up to MLB, and I support whatever decision they make, but Hamilton is a good guy that needs support more than ever. Unfortunately, he is in a profession that makes his every action scrutinized and judged and that doesn't help.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes but that's you. None of us have a clue what was going on in Hamilton's head after that incident. I get the lack of empathy from people who haven't seen it first hand with family and friends, and by no means do I think he deserves free passes over and over again for baseball specifically, but the lack of empathy for his life is a shame. Again, the point I want to emphasize is he handled the relapse the way he should have. No hiding or denying. He owned it. Whether or not he's done with baseball is up to MLB, and I support whatever decision they make, but Hamilton is a good guy that needs support more than ever. Unfortunately, he is in a profession that makes his every action scrutinized and judged and that doesn't help. >>

'Empathy' was probably the wrong word to use because to your point, I've neither been there myself nor known anyone who has. Therefore, I can't fully understand his plight and I'll freely admit that. I suppose it's my sympathy that's waning, and it is.

Trust me, I'm concerned about the guy and I don't want him to die, either. But at what point does personal accountability take on a bigger role? And I'm not talking about committing a faux pas then nobly turning yourself in. As someone mentioned up above, this has been going on for years. When you have a wife, kids, covetous career, untold fame, endless funds, support beyond measure, and you've personally witnessed a young boy lose his father prematurely, what else could possibly be added to your arsenal to stem the tide at this juncture? I can't come up with anything, hence I feel it's incumbent upon Josh Hamilton to do more. Whatever it takes. Wake up each morning like a bull that has had its nuts tied in a knot if need be. Get pissed off beyond belief, choose to live, and enjoy the fruits of a charmed life that 99.99% percent of all other human beings can only dream about.

If he doesn't conquer his demons now, just wait until he retires and the vast majority of people no longer give two rips about him. If I were him, I'd certainly be taking that into consideration. There should be an inverse relationship between his bat speed and his sense of urgency; as the former decreases, the latter should be moving like Usain Bolt in the opposite direction.
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Josh Hamilton has a disease. For those of you that say you have zero compassion, you simply don't understand that he has this disease and what it is. Ten years ago I would have said the same thing. I understand your point of view, because it comes from ignorance. And I mean ignorance in reference to the definition of it, meaning just not knowing. Not knowing what addiction is. It's hereditary, generic, and a beast. It's no different than cancer, bipolar, diabetes, or any other disease. It has to be treated. The difference is there is no medication to treat it. It's treated with meetings, a community, and reaching out to others that have the same disease.

Hamilton did everything right after the relapse. He told MLB. He admitted his relapse before the drug test. He may have been able to get away with it. Instead, he did the thing he had to do and that was telling everyone. If he had lied, that lie would have turned into more lies, more using, and a potential downward spiral that could have been fatal.

The stats don't lie. The disease causes more fatalities at a young age than any other, by far. He is in a world of hurt and suffering right now and my concern is for his life, not his career. My prayers are with him. >>

It is not a disease to choose hardcore drugs. That is a choice. Sure, once that choice is made, one can become addicted...and people with addicted behavior 'disease' can then be hooked.

Simply don't do drugs like that in the first place, and you will never get hooked on them. To say it is like cancer, or any other disease where it happens without your choice, is an insult to the people who actually do suffer from a disease.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply don't do drugs like that in the first place, and you will never get hooked on them. To say it is like cancer, or any other disease where it happens without your choice, is an insult to the people who actually do suffer from a disease.

Perfectly stated!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

<< <i>Simply don't do drugs like that in the first place, and you will never get hooked on them. To say it is like cancer, or any other disease where it happens without your choice, is an insult to the people who actually do suffer from a disease.

Perfectly stated!

Dave >>

Exactly
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Simply don't do drugs like that in the first place, and you will never get hooked on them. To say it is like cancer, or any other disease where it happens without your choice, is an insult to the people who actually do suffer from a disease.

Perfectly stated!

Dave >>

Exactly >>

+3

Hi Paul image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>

<< <i>

Perfectly stated!

Dave >>

Exactly >>

+3

Hi Paul image >>

Hi Barry! Great to see ya posting again, I was worried about you and asked around, I sincerely hope all is well on the homefront my friend.

Perfectly stated!

Dave >>

To say it shouldn't be treated like a disease, just like cancer is treated like a disease, is an insult to everyone with family members that have addiction or people themselves that battle it.

This is a common argument. He shouldn't have tried it in the first place! Athletes are fed pain pills all the time for legitimate issues. Painkillers are sometimes all it takes to trigger it. Someone will say painkillers shouldn't be compared to cocaine or heroin, but hey all are comparable. A lot of people that move on to heroin do it because they have built up a lot of tolerance to the pills. And an rx for vicodin could be all it takes for the addict mind to go berserk.

The back and forth could go on forever. I just hope I was able to make someone think a little bit harder and do a little more homework before throwing Josh out the door as a person. Remember, he has so many family members, friends, and teammates that love him and this is hurting them a ton too....and saying he deserves what he gets would be almost saying that his loved ones don't matter either.

I will leave it at this: Hamilton is an intelligent, successful, and deeply loving and kind man. Knowing how much is at stake and what the consequences are, why would he keep going back? Why would anyone in their "right mind" do this to themselves over and over?

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad. It was a good story of overcoming his addiction. I hope he can get back to his high level of play eventually. >>

I hope he can at least get back on the wagon...sadly addictions of any sort are not the kind you can ever overcome for keeps...it's a lifelong battle.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

• << <i>Josh Hamilton has a disease. For those of you that say you have zero compassion, you simply don't understand that he has this disease and what it is. Ten years ago I would have said the same thing. I understand your point of view, because it comes from ignorance. And I mean ignorance in reference to the definition of it, meaning just not knowing. Not knowing what addiction is. It's hereditary, generic, and a beast. It's no different than cancer, bipolar, diabetes, or any other disease. It has to be treated. The difference is there is no medication to treat it. It's treated with meetings, a community, and reaching out to others that have the same disease.

The stats don't lie. The disease causes more fatalities at a young age than any other, by far. He is in a world of hurt and suffering right now and my concern is for his life, not his career. My prayers are with him. >>

These situations often don't end well, because a dose of dope during relapse is often the thing that finishes a lot of addicts off. For Josh and his family's sake, I hope he gets tough and beats back the old devil this time. Addiction is tough, and a thing many of us don't fully understand if we haven't been there.

<< <i>

Perfectly stated!

Dave >>

To say it shouldn't be treated like a disease, just like cancer is treated like a disease, is an insult to everyone with family members that have addiction or people themselves that battle it.

This is a common argument. He shouldn't have tried it in the first place! Athletes are fed pain pills all the time for legitimate issues. Painkillers are sometimes all it takes to trigger it. Someone will say painkillers shouldn't be compared to cocaine or heroin, but hey all are comparable. A lot of people that move on to heroin do it because they have built up a lot of tolerance to the pills. And an rx for vicodin could be all it takes for the addict mind to go berserk.

The back and forth could go on forever. I just hope I was able to make someone think a little bit harder and do a little more homework before throwing Josh out the door as a person. Remember, he has so many family members, friends, and teammates that love him and this is hurting them a ton too....and saying he deserves what he gets would be almost saying that his loved ones don't matter either.

I will leave it at this: Hamilton is an intelligent, successful, and deeply loving and kind man. Knowing how much is at stake and what the consequences are, why would he keep going back? Why would anyone in their "right mind" do this to themselves over and over? >>

The only one insulting the family members are the people who choose to do illegal addictive drugs in the first place. They, and only they are to blame for putting family members through it. It isn't a disease to get up one day, then decide with your buddies that you are going to do crack. If you become addicted to crack after that choice, then it is 100% your fault.

The solution is to simply not do addictive drugs in the first place. I wish real diseases were as simple to cure.

Now he is addicted after choosing to do recreational drugs, and that is why he keeps falling back. Not because he has a disease.

Do I have empathy? Maybe a little, but only in the sense that he was so stupid(I question your use of intelligence), to be doing drugs in the first place when he had life by the balls.

He may be a weak minded person to fall into that life, but then that is what he is, 'weak minded'...not diseased.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Many cancers and diseases are also caused by addictive behaviours
    stating that cancer and drug addiction are like apples and oranges is
    a pretty intellectually dishonest statement, same goes for some other maladies.

Good for you.
  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Perfectly stated!

Dave >>

I will leave it at this: Hamilton is an intelligent, successful, and deeply loving and kind man. Knowing how much is at stake and what the consequences are, why would he keep going back? Why would anyone in their "right mind" do this to themselves over and over? >>

I could not agree more with what CWA has stated here - well said. Their are physical diseases (cancer, heart disease, COPD, etc.) and there are mental/addictive diseases (drugs, alcohol, nicotine, etc.). While I do not condone what Hamilton has done to himself, he is a human being. I do not understand how anyone can not have any compassion for another human under any circumstance.

<< <i>Many cancers and diseases are also caused by addictive behaviours
    stating that cancer and drug addiction are like apples and oranges is
    a pretty intellectually dishonest statement, same goes for some other maladies. >>

Yes, some cancers are caused by addictive behaviors, or rather poor choices. However, many are not. For the smokers who have lung cancer as a result, I put that on them too. Though cancer is an actual disease resulting from the smoking. Plus those cancers caused by poor choices are often only contributing factors, and cannot be deduced 100% that is where the cancer came from.

It is however 100% on the 'diseased' drug addict, the moment he CHOSE to do his first line of coke.

Obesity is a disease too...but for people who ate their way too it? Again, it is on them. They chose to do that. Drug addicts chose their disease.

You guys are going to equate a kid with Leukemia, a true disease, to some idiot who chose to party on drugs and then got hooked...and treat them with the same compassion and medical aide? That is just wrong and foolish thinking. You guys are part of the problem.

Seems that people who pushed for drug addiction as a disease are simply making an excuse for weak minded people. Instead of calling them what they are, weak minded people, they tell them they have a disease.

What happens is all our health insurance costs go up because these weak willed, weak minded flat slobs and druggies, get classified as a 'diseased'...even though it was 100% their choice to get that disease.

Also, former drug addicts do choose to stop. So they do have control. Only the weak minded, or the ones who simply don't care, continue their path...in the name of being diseased.

Pretty soon, every poor human quality or act will be done only in the name of disease. Sickening.

<< <i>

Seems that people who pushed for drug addiction as a disease are simply making an excuse for weak minded people. Instead of calling them what they are, weak minded people, they tell them they have a disease.

What happens is all our health insurance costs go up because these weak willed, weak minded flat slobs and druggies, get classified as a 'diseased'...even though it was 100% their choice to get that disease.

Also, former drug addicts do choose to stop. So they do have control. Only the weak minded, or the ones who simply don't care, continue their path...in the name of being diseased. >>

Treating addicts is a huge cash cow for the healthcare industry. If you do a little digging many of the pharmaceutical companies are neck deep in treatment facilities. They get to bill insurance companies , states , medicare whatever and also prescribe more drugs that they produce and maybe they are not interested in cures that work all that well.
    And another thing. How come it is always drugs, gambling, or eating in the name of addictive behaviors??

If these people truly do suffer from addictive behavior disease, then why don't we see these addictive people with habitual problems of mowing old people's grass for free, or addicts not being able to stop their problem of helping tutor children with reading issues??

Because they don't have a disease. They are making a lifestyle choice, and we are left with the consequences of their behavior choice. It is kind of like the jelly doughnut scene in the movie Full Metal Jacket. 'Their paying for it! You eat it!"

Like Bronco said above, the medical profession is more than happy to classify it a disease, because it is a cash cow for them....and we are the ones paying for it.

I agree those people who made bad lifestyle choices need help, but it should be on THEIR coin, not mine. And they certainly don't deserve the same level of compassion as people who truly do have a disease.