Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A few Roman Ancients grades in...

This is from a small batch I dropped off at NGC during NYINC, finally graded today, they don't give the details grades online though, just the overall grade. All purchased raw from trusted dealers, grades are as expected, but it's nice to get them confirmed.

001 Constantine II,AD 337-340 ROMAN EMPIRE AE3 (BI Nummus) MS
RIC 172, R4 in RIC, reverse slightly off center but still not a bad coin.

002 Constantius II,AD 337-361 ROMAN EMPIRE AE3 (BI Nummus) Ch MS silvering
RIC 27, practically full silvering, this one has some tight toning on the portrait which doesn't photograph well for me.

003 Q.Ant. Balbus, c.83/2 BC ROMAN REPUBLIC AR Denarius Serratus MS
Laureate head of Jupiter right; reverse Victory in quadriga right holding palm branch and wreath, Q. ANTO.BALB in exergue. Crawford 346/1d; RSC Antonia 1. A really well struck example. This one from Josh as Civitas as I recall.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins and outcomes. I really like the Balbus.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sweet! Very, very sweet!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done!

I like the Republican piece. Swampboy got one of that type from Josh at Civitas and it was pedigreed to the John Quincy Adams collection. Is that the case with yours, as well?

As a descendant of JQA, I would love to get my hands on one of the coins from his collection. (Alas, Swampboy wouldn't turn loose of his, though I groveled most pitifully.) image

Besides, that's an appealing type anyway. Congrats on the MS grade on yours. I'm sorry I missed the boat on those Civitas offerings.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I quite like all three, really can't not like an MS grade on an ancient, good stuff here image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    BEAUTIFUL COINS

CONGRATS
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I quite like all three, really can't not like an MS grade on an ancient, good stuff here image >>

+1
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great coins, JCM. I really am starting to favor some nicer Constantinian stuff. When it is mint state or close, it looks so good compared to the vast hordes of junk coins from that era, that I think I get a bit overexcited. I picked up a really nice Constantine that I should post here sometime soon. Same thing though. Raw but really nice.

The republican piece is why I keep trying and failing to afford republican pieces. I have two at least. It's a start.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I remember that Balbus. Nicest one I've ever seen.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.