Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: anyone know anything about postcards?

sorry for an off topic, but does anyone know anything about post cards? I found maybe 300 in my grandfather's things. all unposted. probably late 30-50/60s maybe? in a few categories - lots of art musem ones, some americana landscapes and american buildings, a few cool greetings from...(including a group from the 39 world's fair) and some other assorted. unfortunately nothing sports related. anything interesting here?

[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/shu4040/media/65ea6ebc-a4cf-410b-8a49-925216ce55ac_zps23887380.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a search on ebay. I am sure there is a market.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've got a friend that collects postcards, he says this is the site to start with
    CardCow

He collects '39 Worlds Fair postcards and memoribilia, so if you are interested in selling those shoot me a pm.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am an avid postcard collector, mainly from New York in areas where I grew up. I have quite a few from teens and twenties. I personally prefer mailed cards, postmarked with date and original 1c atamp affixed. Some can be quite rare, especially the RPPC (real photo postcards).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    You can date the Curt Teich linen postcards here:

CT Dating

Years ago, I dealt in exclusively the large letter linen greetings postcards. I kept a rolling inventory and sold on ebay and at a few local shows. The CT's will have a number on back indicating the decade and year. If nothing else, you'll be able to get a time frame for your grandfather's collection.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What Tim said...
    Good for you.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    thanks guys

unfortunately no mailed post cards, only blanks. i was able to date the curt teich to the mid 30s which was kinda fun. i have a gut feeling nothing too valuable in the bunch. not sure what i'll do with them. maybe throw them in a box and find them in another 10?
  • Options
    I thought of this thread the other day and after looking high and low for my vintage postcards earlier this afternoon, I finally found them buried in a drawer under some 8x10 glass plate negatives that I had set aside a while back. I've always enjoyed collecting vintage postcards, especially those with a small story to tell and a date frozen in time with (preferrably) the original stamp still affixed to the postcard, back when you had to lick them to stick them, lol..

This one is a linen postcard in color of Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY. Postmarked August 29, 1959 in Brooklyn, NY, George Huber of Paterson NJ writes to Ruth S. Elsea of Albuquerque, NM:

"Was 96 at 1230 in Paterson, N.J., so I took a ride down here to get some fresh salt water air." (I checked the farmer's almanac for August 28, 1959, and high temperature in Dover, NJ, was 93 degrees.)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    This is a pretty interesting one that goes back a way~postmarked December 8, 1906 in Brooklyn, NY, with original 1c stamp still affixed, this postcard depicts Public School No. 12, Maspeth Ave., in Maspeth, L.I. (Maspeth is a community usually referred to as part of Queens, NY), and was sent by M. E. Jones to Mrs. Hugh Roberts in East Steuben, N.Y. (no house number, street address or zip code needed back then~could you imagine ebay packages being sent out to just a person's name and city and state, LOL!) and reads:

"My room is across the hall from No. 2 (if you look closely, you'll see that M. E. Jones wrote a "2" on one of the windows on the school to designate her classroon) where we spend many a day. Between twelve and thirteen pupils registered. Nearly thirty teachers, and three people in office. (Talk about an impressive student to teacher ratio!) Ms. Jones also marked an X on one of the other windows of the school to designate "Sara's room," and dated her note Dec. 6/06.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know much about them, but a few years ago I sold off a big stack of vintage ones I found in a basement when a relative passed away. There seemed to be the most interest / bidders in the linen ones, and also the ones with the Large Letters spelling out the city/attraction name (such as Atlanta in your photo) ended up with a decent following too.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Vintage sports related postcards are very desirable, especially examples that display long gone stadiums or ball fields. I also have some post cards I can dig up and post. My favorites are of buildings and places that no longer exist.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I help sell my friend's dad's estate which had almost 100 old postcards from the early 1900's through the 1940's. There were even some from the same World's Fair. They didn't sell for much, but when you sell that many post cards for anywhere from $5 to $10 each, it really adds up.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a suggestion. Before selling off any stamped postcards check with a price guide/dealer to look for any scarce/variety stamps. Some stamps have a different number of perforations that lend value. Odds are most will be of the common issue, but you never know you may have some added value in the stamps.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Found this on Ebay a while back, it is my Great grandfathers house.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    cool. nice house/mansion. is it still in the family? great view to watch the tuna fleet coming on in.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image