Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Common years for "sheet cut" cards - Baseball?

I have my eye on a few baseball cards from the 50-60s graded by BVG and since I don't normally buy BVG graded cards I did some internet research on BVG and found a lot of comments talking about how BVG grades sheet cut cards while PSA and SGC don't (at least not on purpose). I have no knowledge about the availability of sheets so I was wondering which years I should worry about more in regards to sheet cut cards? Also, are there things to look for to tell if a card was sheet cut?

Comments

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure how anyone can tell if a card was cut at say Topps or someplace else in the correct year. I know for a fact that PSA has graded sheet cut cards.

The 1986 SportStar Photo-Graphics Richard Petty was found in uncut sheet form in early 1990's when Ray Mann's assets were sold. They were cut up and sold in the 90's and no one else knew at the time. PSA has graded 15 of them and I didn't know about them being sheet cut until only a few years ago.

Maybe they look closer at Baseball & Football than other sports but I don't see how anyone can tell when a card was cut other then not being done professionally.
  • Options
    You want to feel the bottom of the cards for a ridge or lip. also you need to measure, the card can not be more or less than 1/16 of an inch off either dimension. I can also state for a fact that psa has graded sheet cut cards. Its not hard to do if you know how to operate a paper cutter.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    It's pretty easy to tell a sheet cut card in person. Hard to tell from an online scan/photo.

Once in a while you will see a sheet cut card with just huge borders.

To the OP, if you're worried about buying BVG sheet cut cards, why not just avoid buying them
    and stick with PSA/SGC graded cards.