Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thinking of buying my first autographed item

on a baseball authenticated by JSA. I've seen a lot of JSA around here but wanted to make sure they are a reputable TPA before I spend any money. Ebay seller appears safe/fine (100% @ 52000+ feedback).

TIA
Dan

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I would say JSA is a reputable TPA, and so is our host PSA/DNA, however, that doesn't mean that they both don't make mistakes from time to time. A TPA is NOT a guarantee, and the presence of a reputable COA does not mean that the item is authentic, nor does the lack of a TPA COA mean that an item is fake.

Make your buying decision based on the item itself, not on the TPA COA.

Generally, a TPA COA is awesome to add liquidity and in some cases increases the $$$ when sold, BUT, a TPA COA doesn't make a bad item good, nor does it make a good item bad.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Great advice from Mike.

I would say that JSA is solidly in the top tier of TPAs. No red flags there.

Some other things to consider:
    -- is this an item or player who is frequently forged?
    -- does the autograph compare well with others that you know to be legitimate? If you are unsure of any legitimate autos, how does it compare to the bulk of autographs from established TPAs from reputable sellers?
    -- how is the autograph quality? Is it clear, clean, readable, and placed well?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Dan ... I'll ask the obvious question. Which is it ... a signed Mattingly ball, photo or card? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan ... I'll ask the obvious question. Which is it ... a signed Mattingly ball, photo or card? LOL >>

Thanks for the knowledge guys. Oh Doug, you know me too well.

It's a Don Mattingly signed Gold Glove ball with an inscription. I will have to do my due diligence and check completed listings on similar items to make sure I'm not paying too much.
  • Options
    OK,

I was able to get a signed Don Mattingly baseball (JSA) with just his name and display case for $40. Now I am looking at a Gold Glove ball with his name and the years he won the gold glove. The buyer has $199.99 or BO. That seems very steep to me. Ive looked at some of his other completed auctions for inscribed balls that sold (none for mattingly), and most of them appear to be $15 under the BIN price. Initially I thought about offering $125. Not sure. Any suggestions/advice?

I'm new to the auto'd memorabilia so please forgive me. Even as one of his biggest fans, I actually think $125 is too much to offer. I didn't think his inscription would be that much, maybe $50? Am I nuts?
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    I am unsure of his signing habits or if he does shows but I agree the price at 199 or 125 seems high. But since he is your guy I can understand -- I have the same ball signed by Gary Carter and I could have had 2 balls signed for what I paid for the GG ball. I had the "regular balls" but wanted something unique
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    May I ask what you paid for on the GG ball?
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    This was signed at a show in 2001 but I picked it up I think in 2002
    for 75.00

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    I just offered $90 and it auto-declined. Not sure this seller is going to budge, a lot, from his fantasy price.