Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Coin Op Collection

Hi everyone

I decided to have one thread for the collection of coin ops of different types.

I've posted on them before - just want one place to keep track and show you all what I've picked up over the years - I just picked up a gem at Huggins.

In my era, coin ops were such an integral part of the fabric of a kid's life. Gums balls, cards, fortune tellers, pin ball machines...trips to the Arcade in Coney Island and Rockaway Beach were pure joy and excitement.

Hope you like these as a "grouping" - I will use this "one" thread to update as I go along.

OK - here's my latest pickup!

To say I'm excited about this one? Understatement.

1930s "Junior League Bat-a-Ball" Coin-Operated Arcade Game

This machine is 5 ft tall and 2 ft wide and will display really nicely.

Munves Mfg. Co. - Chicago.

I'm looking forward to this getting to the house in one piece. I'm going to do some research on the game and look forward to posting anything I find.

This item is a gift to me for selling the practice and no longer having to be a boss!!!! image
Thanx for viewing and supporting me over the years.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    What a great thread! My favorite is the Exhibits vendor. The new one is cool too and your enthusiasm is really great to see. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on selling the practice!
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    That collection is fun to observe just through the pictures, I could only imagine how cool all that stuff is in person! Great stuff, Mike, and congrats! I'm assuming this is retirement as well? If so, MAJOR congrats! image
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Sweet collection, thanks for sharing!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic grouping of sports artifacts. Have you ever considered a local mini museum? I've always liked the 5 cent baseball pinball machines. I recall some BB pinball machines dispensed BB cards.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool and colorful Mike. Thanks for all you do for the forum with your outstanding collection.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I think it's time for a CU party at your place. How are you getting the latest addition home? Are you able to pick it up?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Mike. I meant to send you a PM the beginning of the week to see if you were aware of all the coin ops H&S had in their auction this week. I guess you knew!!!! CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These would make for a great display in a baseball-themed rec room or basement. Very nice!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I really like the vending machines. Probably a silly question but I gotta ask, do you have any cards in them?

Impressive arcade you have.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I love them. My only coin ops are non baseball related. I have an original Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man and Speak Easy pinball machine in my downstairs. I spent many quarters playing Pac Man. I would of sold my sister at the time for a quarter. I remember there was a penny candy store down at the beach where I stayed all summer. The candy was really only a penny. There was one video game in the store which I believe it was Outrun. It ate my quarter once and the old lady just told me that it does that from time to time and to just hit the side like the Fonz on a juke box and it will start up for free. After that it was down to her shop every day for some candy and free video games.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a great thread! My favorite is the Exhibits vendor. The new one is cool too and your enthusiasm is really great to see. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on selling the practice! >>

Hiya Dan.

Mine too! Was the first one I purchased back in 1993. Thanx.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Cool and colorful Mike. Thanks for all you do for the forum with your outstanding collection. >>

Very kind of you Doug and thanx!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>That collection is fun to observe just through the pictures, I could only imagine how cool all that stuff is in person! Great stuff, Mike, and congrats! I'm assuming this is retirement as well? If so, MAJOR congrats! image >>

Thanx Chuck! Yes, this is my 2nd retirement - first military.

I will help 1 to 2 days a week for a bit - which is OK with me - I have no responsibility! If someone is sick? Pissed off? Something breaks? Computers off-line? NOT my problem! image

BTW - I haven't found the folder yet - as soon as I do, I'll send you the artwork - haven't forgot you. image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Fantastic grouping of sports artifacts. Have you ever considered a local mini museum? I've always liked the 5 cent baseball pinball machines. I recall some BB pinball machines dispensed BB cards. >>

Correct!

This one was purchased last year and is "new/old stock" - placed in a storage bin and still has the packing from 1957 in it!

Gum ball - card dispenser for 1 penny!

I placed those Topps cards in it - it will dispense both pre and post '57 cards.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice Mike. I meant to send you a PM the beginning of the week to see if you were aware of all the coin ops H&S had in their auction this week. I guess you knew!!!! CONGRATS! >>

Thanx for thinking of me Doug.

The shipping on this leviathan will be hefty! Haven't gotten it yet - I'm guessing 3 to 400 bucks!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I really like the vending machines. Probably a silly question but I gotta ask, do you have any cards in them?

Impressive arcade you have. >>

Thanx and no. The machines are operational - tho I've lost the keys to the exhibit machine. image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I love them. My only coin ops are non baseball related. I have an original Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man and Speak Easy pinball machine in my downstairs. I spent many quarters playing Pac Man. I would of sold my sister at the time for a quarter. I remember there was a penny candy store down at the beach where I stayed all summer. The candy was really only a penny. There was one video game in the store which I believe it was Outrun. It ate my quarter once and the old lady just told me that it does that from time to time and to just hit the side like the Fonz on a juke box and it will start up for free. After that it was down to her shop every day for some candy and free video games. >>

Cool story Tom.

As I've said - these machines "were/are" my past and bring a smile to my face when I need a lift. Everything tastes better, looks brighter, feels better when you're a kid!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Fantastic grouping of sports artifacts. Have you ever considered a local mini museum? I've always liked the 5 cent baseball pinball machines. I recall some BB pinball machines dispensed BB cards. >>

Interesting you mention the "display" idea.

I've been given the back bedroom which I'll be setting up - I was gonna make it solely for display but recently decided to also make it a place to play and record guitar - so I'll be losing a bit of the space.

Believe me - I'll be excited to post on the final product - this stuff has way more appeal for me if I can share. Nothing wrong with a little "good ole fashioned showin' off!" image
    Mike
  • Options

Thanx!

<< <i>These would make for a great display in a baseball-themed rec room or basement. Very nice! >>

Thanx Tim.
    Mike
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Mike, thanks for sharing. I love the diversity of your collection, and could see it fitting well in a hobby museum.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, thanks for sharing. I love the diversity of your collection, and could see it fitting well in a hobby museum. >>

Thanx John - haven't heard from you in a bit.

Next Fri. I close on the sale of the office!!!! image
    Mike
  • Options

Hi everyone

Would like to add an update.

I actually purchased this machine last year before the renovation - I believe - but didn't have a chance to clean it up.

Often times, these machines are really dirty - this one no exception.

Play Ball Gum Ball Machine - Ekholm Mfg. Co. - St. Paul, MN - 1950s

A 1 cent coin op with "multiple" slots for the gum ball to return with baseball outcomes like a HR.

I would say it was designed for kids to compete with each other - competition may inspire a kid to spend more?

It's 14" tall and 11" wide.

I've seen where some attribute this to the 40s also? Have no true idea.

Simple mechanism of play - place penny - gum ball falls into main slot - pull plunger - ball goes along the top arc - hits the spring and then falls in 1 of 7 outcomes to include single, double, triple, HR, SO, BB, FO.

Thanx for viewing.

Mike
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Mike .........................Super nice game ! Fantastic collection ! Keep em coming !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Love these. They make great display pieces and really symbolize the style of their era.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always very interesting pieces, Mike. These coin operated machines are colorful, interesting and great to display.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

awesome collection!!!....looking forward to more posts...much appreciated

the old-new stock is unreal

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Love that it has a key.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

Thanx guys!

As always - much appreciated.

Here's one I picked up last year - still not put back together - over 5' tall.

Mike
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! As always some pretty incredibly cool pickups. Congrats.

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Awesome collection!

• Options

Thanx for the kind words guys!

I posted this in my "future" hobby room - I had a pedestal made that can hold 4 coin ops.

We'll see how it looks down the road.

Mike