Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Introduction and PSA questions from the UK

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading

I have just joined this great forum

I live in Birmingham in the UK so probably a few thousand miles from where you are!!

You can see some of the items I have in my photobucket or items I have for sale at my COMC account linked below

I primarily collect Golf and vintage soccer. I have been colecitng golf since the original Upper Deck release back in 2001 but have recently got into some vintage inc Seve, Hogan, Sarazen etc

My soccer collection is less sporadic and is focused on pre 70's Pele, Eusebio and Di Stefano. The majority of which are RAW but will hopefully be going to PSA for grading at the end of March...

.....which leads me nicely to my questions and wondered if any of you (or anyone who is in the UK)

On the PSA site they state they only accept shipping via FedEx or USPS. How do I ship USPS from the UK?

What happens if I send a card so rare they may not have seen it before or have no idea what the card is? Will I be contacted to discuss and show where the item was purchased from to validate what it is or will it just get the N9 grade without any consultation?

What is the declared customs value once the cards are graded for shipping back to the UK? Is it the prices I state on the outgoing order form or will PSA restate them based on the grade? We have to pay customs to bring items into the UK so are trying to work out what that maybe be when receiving the graded ones back

Thanks again for reading and advice you maybe to provide me

Photobucket DJ Hardy
COMC DJHardy
UK based collecting pre 1970 PSA Pele, Di Stefano and Eusebio

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Always good to see another golf collector on here. I haven't run across many vintage golf issues that PSA doesn't have somewhere in the Pop Report, though the years they are listed under can vary from other TPGs/guides. From what I've seen, you should contact PSA prior to submitting for anything from a set that there are no graded examples yet, otherwise it will come back N9 with no consultation. I don't know the answers to your other questions, but I'm sure others will jump in.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see you've found your way here and joined up. I just sent you an email to your regular account, but in case you look here first, remember to modify your settings in order to enable PM (private messages)

Cheers!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....which leads me nicely to my questions and wondered if any of you (or anyone who is in the UK)

On the PSA site they state they only accept shipping via FedEx or USPS. How do I ship USPS from the UK?

What happens if I send a card so rare they may not have seen it before or have no idea what the card is? Will I be contacted to discuss and show where the item was purchased from to validate what it is or will it just get the N9 grade without any consultation?

What is the declared customs value once the cards are graded for shipping back to the UK? Is it the prices I state on the outgoing order form or will PSA restate them based on the grade? We have to pay customs to bring items into the UK so are trying to work out what that maybe be when receiving the graded ones back >>

Maybe try emailing Paul Bowditch at rookiesoccercards; I'm pretty sure he subs cards from the UK.

• Options
    Thanks for responding

I suspected that maybe the case with the N9 stuff. My main concern is over some of the obscure Soccer stuff especially from Europe

Things like this for example that I bought from Europe recently

I have tried to contact PSA on a couple of occasions at info@psacard.com but have had no response as of yet so will keep trying

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.....which leads me nicely to my questions and wondered if any of you (or anyone who is in the UK)

What is the declared customs value once the cards are graded for shipping back to the UK? Is it the prices I state on the outgoing order form or will PSA restate them based on the grade? We have to pay customs to bring items into the UK so are trying to work out what that maybe be when receiving the graded ones back >>

Maybe try emailing Paul Bowditch at rookiesoccercards; I'm pretty sure he subs cards from the UK. >>

Will do. Stumbled across his site yesterday so will hopefully be making some purchases soon so will sure to ask

Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Ship it from your Post Office or FedEx if available and it will be delivered by the USPS or FedEX. They don't want packages sent by UPS.

The card will need to be listed in a book, price guide, or catalog somewhere. Check the pop to see if PSA has graded it before and write it up the same way. If not pull whatever info you can about it and contact PSA with the info before sending it in to see if they will be able to grade it for you based on the information available on it.

What is the declared customs value once the cards are graded for shipping back to the UK? Is it the prices I state on the outgoing order form or will PSA restate them based on the grade? We have to pay customs to bring items into the UK so are trying to work out what that maybe be when receiving the graded ones back.

You know the value of what you're sending in more than PSA does so put the value of the item to you on the submission form. This value will be used to establish grading fee, insurance needs, and customs. If you undervalue items for grading and customs they will then be undervalued for insurance purposes if something should happen to them.

• Options

<< <i>On the PSA site they state they only accept shipping via FedEx or USPS. How do I ship USPS from the UK?

Ship it from your Post Office or FedEx if available and it will be delivered by the USPS or FedEX. They don't want packages sent by UPS.

The card will need to be listed in a book, price guide, or catalog somewhere. Check the pop to see if PSA has graded it before and write it up the same way. If not pull whatever info you can about it and contact PSA with the info before sending it in to see if they will be able to grade it for you based on the information available on it.

What is the declared customs value once the cards are graded for shipping back to the UK? Is it the prices I state on the outgoing order form or will PSA restate them based on the grade? We have to pay customs to bring items into the UK so are trying to work out what that maybe be when receiving the graded ones back.

You know the value of what you're sending in more than PSA does so put the value of the item to you on the submission form. This value will be used to establish grading fee, insurance needs, and customs. If you undervalue items for grading and customs they will then be undervalued for insurance purposes if something should happen to them. >>

Thank you

Appreciate you taking the time to respond
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! As you can see, the board is full of very knowledgeable guys and it's a great place to learn a ton about our hobby. Personally, I'm just starting to dip my toe in soccer collecting, so I'm really looking forward to seeing more scans from your collection. Please post early and often!
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings from across the pond! Super stash -- I'm uber envious of your Panini Seve!

Enjoy the boards!
  • Options
    I know that you should not have to pay customs duties when receiving your items back from PSA. The company could probably tell you more about it, but I know from talking to guys who submit from Canada that there are ways around it. It's not really an import because it was your item to begin with.
  • Options
    Is that the Canary Islands Eusebio?? I've been wondering who ended up with that one! What a card! Welcome aboard.
  • Options

<< <i>Is that the Canary Islands Eusebio?? I've been wondering who ended up with that one! What a card! Welcome aboard. >>

Hello,

It is yes. Looks even better in person an absolute stunner

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>I know that you should not have to pay customs duties when receiving your items back from PSA. The company could probably tell you more about it, but I know from talking to guys who submit from Canada that there are ways around it. It's not really an import because it was your item to begin with. >>

Thanks

That is a great point and never thought of it that way so will follow up

Thank you
  • Options

<< <i>Greetings from across the pond! Super stash -- I'm uber envious of your Panini Seve!

Enjoy the boards! >>

Thanks

Living in the Uk has some perks!!

I am hoping it grades high maybe 7 or 8 as it looks great

Also have this from the same series but corners don't look as good

• Options
    In case it is of use to anyone else below is a summary of the response from PSA

On the PSA site they state they only accept shipping via FedEx or USPS. How do I ship USPS from the UK? UK options are either via FEDEX or Parcelforce (Post Office) by sending via Parcelforce or the PO it will be delivered via USPS when it arrives in the US

What happens if I send a card so rare they may not have seen it before or have no idea what the card is? Will I be contacted to discuss and show where the item was purchased from to validate what it is or will it just get the N9 grade without any consultation? They said (like some guys on here) that it is rare for them not to know about a series thus provide a N9. If ensure you can email them scans of the front and back of the card and they will let you know prior to sending. I did this for the Eusebio above and they came back saying they could grade this. This is obviously good news and filled me with confidence for some of the other rarer items I have

What is the declared customs value once the cards are graded for shipping back to the UK? Is it the prices I state on the outgoing order form or will PSA restate them based on the grade? We have to pay customs to bring items into the UK so are trying to work out what that maybe be when receiving the graded ones back Declare what they are worth going on to ensure you have enough insurance. PSA only use the values you give them. When receiving back they should tick the return section on the customs form so no customs fees should be due.

Overall they have been helpful albeit slow
  • Options
    Couple of new additions:

Will post more tomorrow once I have time to scan

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards! Keep the scans coming!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Welcome to the Jungle. The UK was one of my favorite places to live.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Cheers

Decided to start a new thread to show some more scans

You can view it here http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=939357

Thanks

• Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    welcome sir. villa supporter?

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>welcome sir. villa supporter?

eyebone >>

Thanks

Not really. Don't follow a team myself. Been to villa a few times though as My Dad and Brother both worked at Villa, have supported them for most of their lives and are season ticket holders

Both were there yesterday but behaved themselves (or so they said)

You a Villa fan?
  • Options
    terrific atmosphere yesterday, but slightly scary scenes at the end. always been fond of villa, though I am a scot. sadly my team do not play in the top tier anymore, but I am sure you are familiar with them. image

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>terrific atmosphere yesterday, but slightly scary scenes at the end. always been fond of villa, though I am a scot. sadly my team do not play in the top tier anymore, but I am sure you are familiar with them. image

eyebone >>

Was crazy but been blown out of all propositions over here

You still live in the UK?

Who's your team?

What kind of stuff you collecting?
  • Options
    have lived in Canada since I was a boy, but still have family back home.

as a Canadian I have to collect hockey cards. most guys on here are baseball card collectors, but some hockey, football and basketball. not too many are interested in soccer cards, though there are one or two. this forum is a great resource regardless of the sport, and there are many helpful friendly people here. I am sure you enjoy it.

my team? rangers. and it is not queen's park rangers. image

all the best. eyebone
  • Options

<< <i>

my team? rangers. and it is not queen's park rangers. image

>>

Big week for them then. Let's hope they can turn the corner and get back to where they belong. Might be worth watching the SPL again then

Take care
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello everyone >>

Hello and welcome. Look forward to seeing your acquisitions.

I collect sets issued in the UK in the 1980's that feature american NFL players. If you happen to come across anything in this realm please let me know.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I know that you should not have to pay customs duties when receiving your items back from PSA. The company could probably tell you more about it, but I know from talking to guys who submit from Canada that there are ways around it. It's not really an import because it was your item to begin with. >>

PSA fills out all the proper custom forms so you don't have to pay anything when cards are returned to you. Only once did I get a call from customs prior to them allowing the cards through. They wanted clarification on what exactly was in the package.

As far PSA saying they only accepts USPS and Fed ex deliveries, I called them on that before my first sub from Canada. They seemed to think i was asking a stupid question when I asked if they would accept subs delivered via Canada Post. I suggested they change the wording on their site but I guess they haven't.