Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Tribute to Syracusian and Zompels

I really, really, like both these guys without ever meeting them in person (one day!). They both have keen passion for this hobby, history and form of art while enabling a friendly and sincere way of interacting in this virtual collector sphere. As an aside, my best friends in business school overseas were from Greece and I miss that similar informal form of communication very much.

The short of the story is that I saw this stunning little Greek coin floating on ebay and bought it in tribute of the duo without knowing much about it. Dimitri filled me in on the history after the fact and blessed the purchase as did Zompels who happened to have imaged this specific coin for the dealer.

Now the coin in hand is very pretty, a few scuffs on slab which can be replaced. The real bonus here is getting this high res quality image by Zompels. NGC MS-66.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin. Congrats.

What is the inscription below the crown? It looks like "A BORREA". What does that mean?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engraver? I am sure someone may chime in. I see this inscription across the 1894-5 Lepta denominations for the type.
  • Options
    Zohar thanks a lot for your kind words. You re a great guy and collector as i ve told you many times .
    Im very happy for your new Greek Issue . This is a 1895-A 5 Lepta , King George I of Greece (as period).
    Now , this coin furnished with a new design (than the others before 1894) and without kings George portrait , obvese "The Crown" and reverse the denomination (5 LEPTA) inside an olive wreath .
    It is minted to Paris (A is the mintmark ) .....at the obverse left and right to date 1895 , is the symbols of "Amaltheias Horn " and "The Axe" .
    About the "A BORREL " .......is the engraver of those new type dies , Alfred Borrel .
    Congrats.

P.S : im also glad you like the image .
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Borrel. In late 19th century they had this habit of writing the name of the engraver with French grammar but Greek characters. Barre becomes Bappe, Borrel reads BΟPPEΛ ,Boppel.

The coin though does not come any better than this. For a copper nickel coin, it's as good as they get. Thanks Zohar for the dedication.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know Zompels, but Syracusian is one of my favorites on the board. Cheers to you both!

Congrats on the coin!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fantastic newp and looks the grade!

Besides look at the pretty equal striking EA!

Man you all over the place.