Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1868 HK dollar Authentic and what grade?

Here's a piece I picked up about 25 mins ago. Not sure how reliable coin stores are here in HK but was a cheap gamble.

Any guess on if authentic and what it would grade

[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/HK1.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/HK2.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not authentic. Edward VII would not be on a coin from 1868. Queen Victoria was the monarch at that time, and a portrait similar to that of Edward VII wasn't used until the early 1900s.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to have a cast effect also when looking at the general graininess...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Looks like a cast copy (probably in copper or iron), with a "silver wash" of some-sort.

I hope you didn't pay more than a dollar or two for it as a trinket.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date on the coin and the portrait of Edward VII is enough... no further commentary is needed.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Not authentic.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Before you purchase any more coins I would buy a catalog and study it; figure out what types are there, what queens and kings are on the coins, and when they ruled. Doing so will not only give you the opportunity to learn a lot about history, it will also prevent mistakes such as this coin, which is as others have pointed out an obvious counterfeit that can not be genuine.

Dennis
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY bad fake.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    yea I got a catalog just didn't have it with me at the time and HK is a new seriers im collecting. it was in the 2$ bin so now I know why. no loss. ill hang on to it as a learning souvenir

thanks all