Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

15 Card Renewal Sub - Review vs. Crack and Resub?

Greetings. Has anyone had luck with the review process, or is it simply best to crack and resub? I am a bit tentative as I do not want to risk damaging cards or having them deemed trimmed, colored, min size, etc.

Obliged for any input. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I've had horrible luck with reviews. Fared much better with crack and resub, although it is a riskier move.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    <<I've had horrible luck with reviews. Fared much better with crack and resub, although it is a riskier move. >>
    +1
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience was positive when the 1/2 point system and review specials first started. The last few times I submitted reviews, I barely broke even in the sense that any upside value I got from bumps was offset by the cost of the submission. In fact, even for the free registry credits for getting my sets to 90%, I barely got enough bumps to pay the cost of shipping and insurance.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I got reviewed a Bench rookie from an 8 to an 8.5 which was a great feeling...however, the other handful did not receive a bump so it was a wash. I too have considered a few to crack and sub, but don't have the guts to be honest. First you need to crack to perfection (never did it before), then you need to take the card and put it in a card saver...I cringe thinking about a 4 figure card going through that process.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got reviewed a Bench rookie from an 8 to an 8.5 which was a great feeling...however, the other handful did not receive a bump so it was a wash. I too have considered a few to crack and sub, but don't have the guts to be honest. First you need to crack to perfection (never did it before), then you need to take the card and put it in a card saver...I cringe thinking about a 4 figure card going through that process. >>

Speaking of '68s, I was oh so close to getting a bump on my PSA 8 Ryan RC. It's depressing when you get the card back in the new holder but it has the original grade on the new label. That tells me they cracked it thinking it would bump and then found something when it was outside the holder that prevented it from upgrading.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<I've had horrible luck with reviews. Fared much better with crack and resub, although it is a riskier move. >>
    +1 >>

+2
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 out of 50 changed, just wow!!
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I got reviewed a Bench rookie from an 8 to an 8.5 which was a great feeling...however, the other handful did not receive a bump so it was a wash. I too have considered a few to crack and sub, but don't have the guts to be honest. First you need to crack to perfection (never did it before), then you need to take the card and put it in a card saver...I cringe thinking about a 4 figure card going through that process. >>

Speaking of '68s, I was oh so close to getting a bump on my PSA 8 Ryan RC. It's depressing when you get the card back in the new holder but it has the original grade on the new label. That tells me they cracked it thinking it would bump and then found something when it was outside the holder that prevented it from upgrading. >>

Same thing happened to me..in fact the ryan was better than the bench in my obviously wrong opinion.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reviews are a tough route~add in the bias one has with a card he or she owns and the success ratio is naturally going to be very low.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I do not want to risk damaging cards or having them deemed trimmed, colored, min size, etc. Thanks. >>

ANY time you crack and resub you risk all of the above, so I guess you have answered your own question. HOWEVER, like many have said, the chance that the review process will be financial beneficial is somewhere between slim and none.

GOOD LUCK with with your grades no matter which decision you make.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, men. Woke up early (snow day) and cracked eight mid-grade, 50, 60, 70s stars from cases. Nerve-wracking experience.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Is it possible PSA would be leery of cracking out a card for fear THEY might damage the card and thus have pay up?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to think they'd have it down to a science
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><<I've had horrible luck with reviews. Fared much better with crack and resub, although it is a riskier move. >>
    +1 >>

+2 >>

+3 A few years ago, I pi--ed away my 15 card voucher on reviews. Got one .5 bump. On the other hand, I did a crack and re-sub raw on an Aaron RC in PSA 5. I thot it was under graded and would come back at least 5.5, or I wouldn't have cracked it. WRONG! Came back EOT. I guess the only lesson here is it's a crapshoot either way. But at least with reviews, if they don't bump, you don't lose the original grade. The only ones I'd crack and sub raw to PSA would be cards in another slab, like SGC . . . provided they weren't 92 - 96 - 98.
  • Options
    Has anyone had success bumping 9s to 10s? I have my CC voucher coming up; considering sending in 15 of my best 9s for review. Thanks.
  • Options
    Total Items: 15
    Date Received: 2/24/2015
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: Your order is still being processed.
  • Options
    ?
  • Options
    7-day turnaround time ...
  • Options
    Fair enough, but you're only 2.5 days over ... and you posted at 1.5 days over. Relax and enjoy the anticipation!