Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anglo-Saxon Hoard

Just saw this in the current issue of E-Sylum v18#07 2-15-15.
I would provide a link but I am tech. challenged. Really well preserved!!

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you want this link to the issue: E-Sylum v18#07

This takes you to the article directly: article

Thanks for bringing this up again... It's exciting to read about this, even if this is old news. When I first read about this, I thought OMG what will happen to the market for high-grade Ae2 and Cnut pennies? Unless a penny has eye-popping eye appeal (= state of preservation + superbness of strike + richness of toning), I would refrain from paying crazy money for what will certainly make certain coins even more common than they already are.

Even before this was announced, it is possible to buy a Cnut S-1157 penny graded British "Superb EF" or MS65 by NGC/PCGS for well under $2K. Just takes a little of patience. Or, get a nice "Choice EF"/MS64 for just over $1K.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I like the original story from the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they were discovered in a lead sheet and looking at the pics,
    there will be dozens of high grade pieces to eventually choose from.
    I'd be interested know which mint/moneyers were found in this hoard.
  • Options
    Polished 'em up real good, didn't they? That's something I noticed when I saw the Smithsonian coin display, too. Most of what they had on display was harshly polished or cleaned. Wonder why? Neat coins, nonetheless.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link EVillageProwler.
    I get a text email every week and then have to wait for that web page until it appears in the archive section.

Here's a Youtube video of the Lenborough Hoard as it was discovered.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the Bucks County Museum has launched a pledge drive to purchase this hoard.

"The silver coins, which were wrapped in a sheet of lead to protect them, turned out to be Anglo-Saxon pennies.

They are about 1,000 years old, and were made in the reigs of two kings – Aethelred the Unready, and Cnut (sometimes called Canute) the Great."

The whole The Bucks Herald article

That's a lot of pennies!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At £3,000, they really have a long way to go. That's only about ten coins or so...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering what's become of this hoard, had not heard much recently. I expect at least part of it to come to market, even if museum(s) acquire some of it. The hoard is not of particular historic interest, besides being a hoard.

I think there was found a single Aethelred II "Angus Dei" penny, the rarest coin in the hoard, with twenty-something of this type known.