Home Sports Talk

Wow!Giancarlo Stanton $325 million/13 years

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
Resigns with Marlins. Who will be the first $500 million player? Know it's old news, just getting caught up.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That's a risky move for the Marlins. Stanton suffered a serious beaning at the end of last year.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not joking when I say this, I hope sometime a MLB team will go bankrupt from these STUPID salaries
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey Mantle's largest season salary was 100K.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not joking when I say this, I hope sometime a MLB team will go bankrupt from these STUPID salaries >>

They have been saying that since the days of Babe Ruth.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not joking when I say this, I hope sometime a MLB team will go bankrupt from these STUPID salaries >>

It's not stupid if they can afford it.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

<< <i>

It's not stupid if they can afford it. >>

Ofcourse its stupid, that takes a huge toll on a teams spending and there are no garuntees that the player will perform and they will be paying him either way.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mickey Mantle's largest season salary was 100K. >>

I remember reading many years ago, but can't remember the source, of this. Supposedly in a game where Mantle, upon his way back to the dugout while still on the field, tossed a ball into the stands during a game. He supposedly was called into the offices of Jacob Ruppert and was told by Mr. Ruppert that he must pay for the ball. Maybe someone here can recollect the source and validity of this story. I checked Wikpedia. It could'nt of been Jacob Ruppert he died in 1939.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

<< <i>Ofcourse its stupid, that takes a huge toll on a teams spending and there are no garuntees that the player will perform and they will be paying him either way. >>

Teams spend what they want. None of the teams/owners in MLB derive all their income from baseball alone.

Here in Minnesota we wish the ownership that is one of the richest, would spend MORE.

Finally there are no contracts that guarantee how the player will perform, unless it's incentive driven.

I for one have stopped going to games and refuse to pay for cable/satellite. When more people stop paying outrageous prices to watch professional sports, perhaps the salaries will stabilize.

Yeah RIGHT!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

<< <i>

I remember reading many years ago, but can't remember the source, of this. Supposedly in a game where Mantle, upon his way back to the dugout while still on the field, tossed a ball into the stands during a game. He supposedly was called into the offices of Jacob Ruppert and was told by Mr. Ruppert that he must pay for the ball. Maybe someone here can recollect the source and validity of this story. >>

After the 1957 season Yankees ownership actually sent Mantle a contract that called for a cut in salary, saying he didn't have as good a year as the previous year when he won the Triple Crown.

He actually had a BETTER year in 1957.

He ended up signing for the same amount.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

They have been saying that since the days of Babe Ruth. >>

You know how Ruth quipped about making more than the President (Hoover) by saying that Ruth had a better year or something? Well IIRC, the minimum wage for a MLB player is $200,000, which was the President's salary prior to 2001! I mean it's one thing for a big superstar to make more than the big guy but a bench warmer?

And while we're on this subject, did you know Judge Judy earns more than ten times what all nine Supreme Court justices combined earn in a year?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I remember reading many years ago, but can't remember the source, of this. Supposedly in a game where Mantle, upon his way back to the dugout while still on the field, tossed a ball into the stands during a game. He supposedly was called into the offices of Jacob Ruppert and was told by Mr. Ruppert that he must pay for the ball. Maybe someone here can recollect the source and validity of this story. >>

After the 1957 season Yankees ownership actually sent Mantle a contract that called for a cut in salary, saying he didn't have as good a year as the previous year when he won the Triple Crown.

He actually had a BETTER year in 1957.

He ended up signing for the same amount. >>

Yes I heard about that. Something similar happened to Ralph Kiner with Pittsburgh where he was asked to take a pay. Don't recall all the facts

<< <i>And while we're on this subject, did you know Judge Judy earns more than ten times what all nine Supreme Court justices combined earn in a year? >>

She's having a better year as well image
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do owners insure these players with Lloyds of London?

<< <i>

<< <i>Ofcourse its stupid, that takes a huge toll on a teams spending and there are no garuntees that the player will perform and they will be paying him either way. >>

Teams spend what they want. None of the teams/owners in MLB derive all their income from baseball alone.

Here in Minnesota we wish the ownership that is one of the richest, would spend MORE.

Finally there are no contracts that guarantee how the player will perform, unless it's incentive driven.

I for one have stopped going to games and refuse to pay for cable/satellite. When more people stop paying outrageous prices to watch professional sports, perhaps the salaries will stabilize.

Yeah RIGHT! >>

I'm right there with you, I havnt been to a Sox or Patriots game since the mid 90's I love both teams but refuse to pay the amount of money to go to a game. I will not do it

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah RIGHT! >>

I'm right there with you, I havnt been to a Sox or Patriots game since the mid 90's I love both teams but refuse to pay the amount of money to go to a game. I will not do it >>

I love hockey as much if not more than baseball and I choose not to watch either because the only way is to pay for cable/satellite TV.

Satellite has come down a bit, but I am not interested in signing a contract locking me into a 2 year commitment.

I listen on the radio when I can and follow on the team's websites.

I recently turned down FREE tickets to see a hockey game because parking and the cost of a glass of soda pop are so high. I would just like to be able to watch on old time over the air TV.

Probably not going to happen. Times have changed.
  • Teams ain't going broke... How can they when fans keep paying $9 for beer??? Eat/drink before the game and teams don't stand a chance.....