Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No Snow here! 1985 Topps Football - Updated Pop

I've had terrible luck with 1985 Topps Football and 1986 Topps Baseball. Those of you who have ripped these packs and boxes before can relate. The last boxes I've ripped had me convinced that it's impossible to get a good looking card without chipping, off centered cuts, ink marks and SNOW!

Until yesterday!

My 5 year old son asked me if we could open some cards yesterday, so we ripped a 1985 Football box. Without expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised to see a box full of cards with pretty good corners, little ink marks and no snow!

Even more frustrating is how the black borders are often not black…. more like a faded black

I'm not saying these are PSA 9 or 10 worthy, (mainly centering is not perfect) but I am just really happy with the results of the rip and wanted to share some pics. I keep running through them and admiring the true black!

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Some of those look really nice, congrats and thanks for sharing!!! I can relate to you all to well...good luck if you sub!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Must have been fun to bust a box one pack at a time. Looks like you did well and the Moon looks very nice as well.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Must have been fun to bust a box one pack at a time. Looks like you did well and the Moon looks very nice as well. >>

I agree on the Moon. I also like the Lofton above itimage Always love seeing some '80s football love!!

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Really love the design of this set, but the photos ruin it for me. Too many head shots and boring sideline shots.
  • Options
    Gorgeous Moon rookie.
    Think. Thank. Thunk.

My eBay Listings
  • Options
    It's my favorite Dickerson issue. Still regret not picking up one of the PSA 10's that surfaced a year or so ago. I think there's only five
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Love those black borders. Tough as nails to find the GEMs. Glad you ran across a good box.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I feel like this is a highly underrated set, with great star power and being condition sensitive. Great work on those pack pulls!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    The best football set design of the 80s, hands down.
  • Options

<< <i>Really love the design of this set, but the photos ruin it for me. Too many head shots and boring sideline shots. >>

When it comes to football cards, I actually like head shots from time to time so you actually get to see the player a bit more clearly and can recognize them by something other than a number.

While I remember being ambivalent about this design at the time, I've grown to regard 1985 & 1988 as my favorite Topps football designs of the 80's over the years.

I believe 1985 football is still under appreciated with so many greats 2nd year cards, a checklist that reads like a who's who of 1980's NFL, and all the condition issues (centering, unforgiving black borders, & snow).

You did get a terrific box with rich black borders and without the all too typical snow... if only all boxes were so kind!

Snorto~
  • Options
    I agree in that is a great set and under appreciated. Sandwiched right between 1984 and 1986, it's often underwhelmed people.

I am using my 15 card voucher at PSA for the top 15… I'll post pics when they pop!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Nice pulls. PM Sent
  • Options
    Grades Popped today on some of the 1985 Topps Football I opened a few weeks ago. Mixed feelings. I knew 10's were too hard to pull so I wasn't expecting them. But seeing the "8.5" by the Marino and the Moon make me frustrated that I was that close to a "9" on those cards!!!

Any suggestions on what to do with my 8.5's? Resubmit? Would anyone resubmit them raw and try again?

Grade Description
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1985 Topps 314 Dan Marino All Pro
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 33 Walter Payton All Pro
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 388 Dave Krieg
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 253 Mike Munchak
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 238 John Elway
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 79 Eric Dickerson All Pro
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1985 Topps 251 Warren Moon
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 282 Marcus Allen
    MINT 9 1985 Topps 282 Marcus Allen
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 24 Richard Dent All Pro
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 151 Roger Craig
    MINT 9 1985 Topps 379 Kellen Winslow
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Topps 357 Jack Lambert
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any suggestions on what to do with my 8.5's? Resubmit? Would anyone resubmit them raw and try again? >>

I'd crack and re-submit rather than sending them in for review.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."