Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rampant Gradeflation in Franklins is why I stopped collecting the series

13»

Comments

• Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I just took another look at my retired registry sets for Franklin's . The trueview images are missing for nine coins in my retired Franklin basic set and eleven trueviews missing in my retired Franklin FBL basic set . I can only assume these coins have been regraded and received upgrades, that is almost a third of the complete set and i know that i have seen some of my other Franklins in auction's that have been (crackout ) upgraded. I'm thinking that somewhere around 40% of these sets have been upgraded since i have sold them.

Can anyone tell me why the trueview image is taken away from retired registry sets when a coin is upgraded later ? I paid $10 each for the entire set to be trueviewed so i could always look at them after i sold them. Now one third of them are gone , kind of upsets me !

Also know that it is not a level playing field when it comes to resubmitting coins for regrade.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, LOVELY Frankies GC!!!

Second, anybody that has looked at slabbed Franklins for any length of time would agree with the OP's thrust.

Third, you mean there are people that actually BUY Franklins?

I got sick of the Franklin Registry game years ago. I strongly suspect that if I resubmit my 35 piece set I'd get multiple upgrades, but until I eventually get around to selling them (hopefully still decades out), what's the point? Of course this means my set trends downward over time. I've dropped from # 16 to # 19 (in the NGC Registry) in just the last two years. Yet for some ODD REASON, the view count on my Registry set is at ~ 4,300 with the NEXT CLOSEST of the Registry sets Numbers 1 - 18, having a view count of ~2,200. As the old NFL ads used to say, "YOU MAKE THE CALL"!!!

For the most part these days I'm buying toned raw Franklins in MS63 - MS65 grades and plugging them into Danscos. I'm having an absolute gas, and could give a rat's pattoottie about the whole plastic game. Of course, this does mean I have to know how to grade Franklins by myself. Imagine that.

Here's a relatively recent purchase... cost me $24.

imageimage

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post SkyMan! You have an awesome set by any definition!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    What a great thread! Also, thank you PCGS for not deleting it, it would not be wise now for sure.

The question I have and I am far from an expert is how a coin can be upgraded higher and get a green bean on both? Like someone said, if it had a gold bean, then got upgraded and then got a green bean, then I would understand.

This thread just convinced me, I will not be looking to add a bean nor send anything in to be graded.......confirms it. I need to learn how to grade myself first.

Thanks for one of the best threads I have read in a while.

E
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone truly believe that with consensus grading someone is getting special treatment? Those graders would quit and rat the whole thing out. (Or at minimum rat it out upon retirement.)

As long as there are folks selling $18000 (after regrade) coins for 300 bucks, and finding out after the fact, there are going to be wild stories of collusion.

I can promise you from personal experience that I have had MANY old holder coins go DOWN after crackout. I have also upgraded coins bought from these BIG dealers that had them graded in the first place.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerical grading is over rated in gem plus. I'd rather have the most appealing coin possible and could really care less about the grade itself. I always pay for the coin based on the merits and total attributes of the coin. Does it make me go wow? If it doesn't, pass. The upgrade game doesn't bother me as I don't play it. I don't have a set registered as of yet so I'm unaffected there as well. I have several top pop coins but being a top coin wasn't why I bought them. It just worked out that way. I've also paid more for a lesser grade coin over what a top pop coin would have cost.

The only way to actually grade/rate coins is to have them all called in and line them up from best to worst. That would be the only way to truly gauge " top pops". Coin against coin. Since that's not going to happen we are stuck with what we have.

I really enjoy this hobby.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The only way to actually grade/rate coins is to have them all called in and line them up from best to worst. That would be the only way to truly gauge " top pops". Coin against coin. Since that's not going to happen we are stuck with what we have."

I think that this will eventually happen for various types of coins (beyond early coppers), maybe not during my lifetime. This sort of thing has consumed a number of EACers for years; putting together a condition census takes significant effort.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be too quick to thank our hosts for not poofing this until we get past about 1:00 EST. I'd expect that not too many of them have actually seen this yet.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That first 53-D example is STUNNING. I have never quite seen color and originality like that on a Franklin. Just oozing with both. >>

Thanks! That coin came from Tomaska a good 15 years ago ,in a NGC 65 holder . After I saw it in hand - I bought the brother coin in 66 NGC holder also from Tomaska . That coin blew away the 65 ( which by the way did not cross to PCGS on first try ). I eventually traded the second to a fellow collector that just HAD to have it. He paid dearly!
    I never saw the 66 coin again ......but if it were to resurface and get graded by todays standards : it would grade MS-67+ !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting in toned top pop semi-moderns is apparently more speculative in nature than, say type coins in AU.

I'd imagine that the risks and potential rewards are proportionate to various levels of knowledge, skill, and luck. Does a bit of "who you know" and/or submission set-up strategy matter in this regard of "getting the next grade"?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file