Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Going to build my first Registry set - 1978 Topps Basketball

I very much enjoy looking at peoples sets that are posted here. There are some very elite and commendable sets out there. Have picked a smaller set so not to have to get in to significant dollars in building this. The 1978 Topps Basketball just has 132 cards in it so not too large. Perfect for me to try.

Have had this box tucked away for a while and ripped in to it a couple months ago. The initial batch of grades is posted at bottom. Looks like I'll be going for an 8 average set which is fine for me. Maybe 20th place on the registry. Anything better, I'll take it ! Another 50 or so cards are awaiting their grading fate now as I could not afford to send all in at once. I have this thing where this set must all be self submitted, no buying any already graded. Will have to spend big bucks on another box I believe.

All of those in this box were 'centered' like the one pictured. Total bummer.

1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 1 Bill Walton Card
2 EXCELLENT 5 1978 Topps 5 Bob McAdoo Card
3 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 8 Dave Meyers Card
4 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 9 Austin Carr Card
5 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 19 Marvin Webster Card
6 MINT 9 1978 Topps 18 Steve Mix Card
7 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1978 Topps 20 George Gervin Card
8 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 21 Steve Hawes Card
9 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 22 Johnny Davis Card
10 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 24 Lou Hudson Card
11 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 27 James Edwards Card
12 GEM MINT 10 1978 Topps 31 Jim Cleamons Card
13 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 51 Louie Dampier Card
14 MINT 9 1978 Topps 59 Fred Brown Card
15 MINT 9 1978 Topps 64 Leon Douglas Card
16 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 65 Henry Bibby Card
17 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 74 Lionel Hollins Card
18 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 76 Brian Winters Card
19 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 78 Dennis Johnson Card
20 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 80 Pete Maravich Card
21 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 81 Dan Issel Card
23 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 83 Walt Frazier Card
24 MINT 9 1978 Topps 87 Charlie Criss Card
25 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 91 Billy Paultz Card
26 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 94 Paul Silas Card
27 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 102 Norm Van Lier Card
28 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 105 Jim Chones Card
29 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 108 Eddie Johnson Card
30 EXCELLENT 5 1978 Topps 109 Sidney Wicks Card
31 MINT 9 OC 1978 Topps 110 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Card
32 MINT 9 OC 1978 Topps 111 Sonny Parker Card
33 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 112 Randy Smith Card
34 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 118 Kevin Porter Card
35 GEM MINT 10 1978 Topps 112 Randy Smith Card
36 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 121 Richard Washington Card
37 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 122 Dave Twardzik Card
38 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 126 Marques Johnson Card
39 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Topps 130 Julius Erving Card
39 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 130 Julius Erving Card
39 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Topps 130 Julius Erving Card

Will update when the awaiting game is over on the next graded batch.

Thanks for looking along with congratulations to the members with exquisite registry sets.

Comments

• Options
    I respect the whole "every card self submitted" approach, and you may land a 10 you can sell to fund more vending boxes and self submissions, but just food for though here.... a complete set in PSA 9 would cost you only $1,500+/-. Just saying.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I recently found a stack of these in a box that were NM and could not sell them on eBay for 0.99 each with 0.99 shipping! Sweet cards though with great players all through the set.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Wow...there are a lot of those I would have picked to be 10's before Jim Cleamons. The top/bottom looks off to me. I thought a lot of those cards looked like surefire 10's from your scans. Good luck with this set. I've subbed quite a few of these over the years and was able to get a few 10's, but the bulk were 8's and 9's. It should be a fun project.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I DIG THIS.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about half being OC - that's pretty much the gamble of vending IMO.

I like the ones you did post. Good luck with the set.

IMO, the set looks just as nice in a binder vs spending all that dough on grading the cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I DIG THIS. >>

PSA digs this too. Am I the only one left who's happy with a nice raw set?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can I ask why did you send that Gervin in with that centering??
  • Options
    There weren't any better ones in the box and will need one for the set.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations starting your first set. An 8 average should be very attainable. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    If I understand the timing of your post -- you bought the vending box a while back --- submitted it in recent weeks & received these results?

The grades look to be right. I didn't see too many straight Nine Grades...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1978 Topps Basketball just has 132 cards in it >>

About 83 of which depict Wes Unseld and/or Elvin Hayes.

In all seriousness, it's a terrific set, with a lot of very cool looking cards, most of which are pictured here.

Good luck on the project.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I DIG THIS. >>

PSA digs this too. Am I the only one left who's happy with a nice raw set? >>

Nope, you're not, nearly all of my modern (post 1970) are raw.

I've completed or am working on 25 PSA graded sets. In hindsight, I wish I had done a good many of those as raw instead. In part because it doesn't make economic sense, but much more so due to storage and enjoyment.

I really love pulling a random binder off the shelf and flipping through my sets in sheets. Graded cards obviously take up a lot more storage space and are more difficult to enjoy grabbing 10 slabs at a time.

That said, I am sure we're all guilty of putting our collecting interests/goals above what makes the most financial sense from time to time.

I don't think putting together a smaller set like this in PSA 8 is too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Thank you for the support ! Yes, I grasp the fact the set itself in the grade average I'm willing to accept is a losing proposition. I did check pricing on this before I started. PSA 8's, if they even sell, go for 2 or 3 dollars. So right there at least half the money invested in grading this is out the window. That's why though I started this little set. If it's fun, may move no to bigger and better things. if not, well, I'll be done. It's not like I'm starting a 700 card set where 99% of the time anyone who does bows out after finishing 10 % of it. "PSA loves it too' talk doesn't bother. Good, PSA loves it. Am happy with making others happy.

Yes the box was purchased a couple years ago and just got around to opening a couple months ago. The graded cards listed came back about a month ago and I'm waiting for the next batch to complete. Once these two lots are done I'll know what I'll still need. I will be stupid here and buy another 1978 box and go for more I suspect. You guys talking 9's is already making me want to build a better set than 8 ! I gather I am feeling the itch now.

So far, so fun image
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Hi, 32, turn on your pm
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to you on your set. I cannot imagine trying to self submit an entire set, even a smaller one like this. I hope you find some sharp cards in your future rips. I commend you for going into this with your eyes open. It sounds like you are being fiscally responsible, as one of your posts says that you broke your sub into two for cost reasons. As long as you are not putting yourself or your family in any financial burden by taking on this project, I see no fault in doing something it sounds like you are enjoying. It's your collection and your hobby so do what makes you happy. I for one will be following along as you post updates, just like I follow Patrick's 89 Topps hockey thread. I did see that you said you want to self submit the set. Are you open to buying raw cards to submit? Or are you planning on ripping to make the set. If you buy raw cards to be graded I think you will save all kinds of money vs only ripping. I know there is fun in ripping but I get as much enjoyment out of finding a raw gem that comes back graded in the grade I hope for as I do ripping to get the card. Best of luck!
    Steve
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I DIG THIS. >>

PSA digs this too. Am I the only one left who's happy with a nice raw set? >>

I have a beautiful NMMT or better set that I bought for 20 bucks at a show less than a year ago. I have no interest in looking for cards to grade out of it.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Nice project 32. Sounds like fun. Good luck with your set building goals.

I've always liked this set design and think it's one of Topps best in the 1970's. There's some
    great game action shots in this set. It's the first Basketball set to use the small insert photos
    on their fronts. This set was 15 years ahead of it's time.

I'm old enough to have built two nice raw sets by the wax pack in the year of this issue.
    I still have those sets.

Recently I bought a really sharp NM-MT raw set online for $45. I think I have 4-5 sets now.

I've also purchased PSA 9's of many of the key RC's and some of the stars on the cheap on ebay.

Also, I agree with GDM67, Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld do appear on tons of cards in this set and most
    others from Topps in the 1970's. Topps must have their photographers shoot most of the photos
    used in the sets at the Capital Centre.
  • Options
    YAHOO ! The rest of the close to worthy cards from the vending box have come back now. I went ahead and entered the start of the actual registry set online and am currently in 27th place. YAHOO ! Have named the set appropriately.

After this I will know what I need and will have to choose between buying another vending box, buying packs here and there or going after a full 36 pack box.

• Options
    Ok here are all the cards from the 2nd batch. Some of you I know are laughing at this but heck, I'm on a mission. Went ahead and just bought another VENDING box too, this time from DAcard world. Will give vending one more shot before giving up there. These cards moved me in to slot 22 on the Registry with a long way to go. Have many of the missing cards but too off center even for me to send in.

So now must wait to receive the new vending box and a nice grading special.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    nice cards! Whether they are psa 7, 8, 9, or 10, at least YOU know they came from freshly opened cards!
  • Options
    It is all about enjoyment. If self submitting is what excites you, then more power to you! I have quirks in my collecting as well that others question. Oh well, MY collection. You do what you gotta do and rock that basketball set brother!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Ok I got my next box now. Hoping it's not another off center crap fest. Usually buy everything through BBCE but they were out so went hunting and found one at Dave and Adams card world. They give a little gift with larger purchases and let you pick from a variety of things. Absolute zero knowledge of soccer so thought to check those out.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I love the '78s, mostly because all of my heroes from that '77-'78 Blazers championship team are in that set. Maybe I should start a '78 Blazers registry to go with my '78 Doyers.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok I got my next box now. Hoping it's not another off center crap fest. Usually buy everything through BBCE but they were out so went hunting and found one at Dave and Adams card world. They give a little gift with larger purchases and let you pick from a variety of things. Absolute zero knowledge of soccer so thought to check those out. >>

Good luck on your quest! With the condition of that box, I'd be worried about some corner dings as well. Bulging sides are usually trouble.
  • Options
    Good luck on the vending.
    Mike
  • Options
    One half the box over with the following results. I can live with some top to bottom centering concerns but left to right really bother me. Guess am going to continue to pursue an 8 average set, and if stuff comes back higher, even better image The cards are all crisp but Larkin was right, on one end, the first 30 in were toast. Other half tomorrow as I can't look through a loupe anymore today.

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    vending boxes yield one of each card in the set right?
  • Options
    I've got to say that the cards do look nice in PSA holders.

I've enjoyed reading on your quest - good luck with future grades.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>vending boxes yield one of each card in the set right? >>

The set itself has only 132 cards. With 500 cards on the vending boxed it's averaging up to 4 of each. The kicker is though if the first one you get is off center suckery, the other 2 or 3 are being the same. Am diggin' the slabbed returns too. After finishing up with this box tomorrow not seeing yet when to send more in. With these anything over 6 bucks a card isn't worth it unless a Kareem or alternate HOFer. (actually with this set anything over 4 bucks isn't worth it image ) Having fun and will continue till done.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Hey it is fun to do these type of projects. Fun comes first so hats off!

I've kicked around the idea of picking up or putting together a raw set of these together as I had a ton of these as a kid. I'm not much of a basketball card fan but my mom would buy me a pack or two everytime we went to the grocery store as a kid (and it was out of baseball season).

Good luck!

Matt
  • Options
    I enjoyed the thread. I've been thinking over a set to do this with myself, just gotta get my wife to go along with self submitting all 792 1984 Topps BB.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    I love the Cowens and Parrish cards
  • Options
    Allrighty then. Went through the 2nd vending box, sorted, slanted light tested, thumb compressed corners, etc and these below are the ones going to be subbed next. Either the card is needed for the set, the card has possibility of upgrading, or just want to grade the card for kicks. Yep some slightly off centered ones here. After this it's either finding a full wax box or picking up packs here and there to complete the whole set. Still wanting to average 8.0 at least.

Currently my set is # 22 1978 Topps Basketball 47.73% complete 7.76 weighted GPA and a whopping 03.70 set rating ! Yahoo ! Set will stay this way until a $6.50 or less special comes back.

FAIL stars from the boxes

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Lovin this thread. I remember picking up these packs for .10 years ago at a local Ben Franklin. My grandma took me there and I bought all they had.

Good luck on completing this.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06