Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB considering adjusting the strike zone

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
FYI there is consideration being given to this idea to promote offense. More tinkering to cater to "juicing" the games interest. This may affect pitchers effectiveness and hurt their stats. And possible their card prices if more pitchers get shellacked with more hits/runs and less strikeouts/shutouts. Resulting in ballooned ERA's. But should be good for the sluggers BA's. All in an effort to boost ratings.Higher ratings results in higher advertising rates being charged for those pesky commercials.Almost seems to smell of a steroid related like boost, to encourage lacking offense.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say let them do steroids and be done with it
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    want to increase offense? Just use aluminum bats!
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    If they want to promote offense, they should move the fences in. Move the bases closer together. Use a bigger ball and have the pitchers throw underhanded.
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI there is consideration being given to this idea to promote offense. More tinkering to cater to "juicing" the games interest. This may affect pitchers effectiveness and hurt their stats. And possible their card prices if more pitchers get shellacked with more hits/runs and less strikeouts/shutouts. Resulting in ballooned ERA's. But should be good for the sluggers BA's. All in an effort to boost ratings.Higher ratings results in higher advertising rates being charged for those pesky commercials.Almost seems to smell of a steroid related like boost, to encourage lacking offense. >>

They've tinkered with the strike zone long before TVs were around, so I don't think it's all about ratings. Batting averages are the lowest since 1972, and strikeout rates are the highest ever. It's not like they don't have a good reason to change the strike zone.

I wouldn't worry about card prices. Generally, the best pitchers should still be the best pitchers if they change the strike zone a bit.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    They need to shorten the time length of the games. Which increasing offense will not.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They need to shorten the time length of the games. Which increasing offense will not. >>

+1

Welcome to the 5 hour game, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They need to shorten the time length of the games. Which increasing offense will not. >>

Biggest problem for me is the "game within the game" that is played between the pitcher and batter. Most pitchers only throw 2 or 3 different pitches, they should be ready to throw the ball much sooner. Of course if the pitcher takes a little too long the batter steps out of the box needlessly extending the at bat.

Umpires should enforce a reasonable time for the players to get playing by calling balls or strikes to penalize the offender, no arguing the calls by the managers on this one boys! That would be my biggest wish for improving baseball.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make the all of the umps call the same strike zone. The umps aren't dummies they know what they are calling and who they favor.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just make the all of the umps call the same strike zone. The umps are dummies they know what they are calling and who they favor. >>

I'll never forget the first time I saw what Greg Maddux's strike zone was (I see primarily AL games) what a complete joke!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set