Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1970 KELLOGG'S 3-D - COMPLETE 75 CARD SET IN PSA 9 - SUPERIOR AUCTION

I just wanted to let everyone know that I consigned this complete PSA 9 set with Superior Sports, and the auction is currently up and running.

It's truly a spectacular set, and I hope no one minds me plugging it here on the Registry Forum.

It really did take over two years to complete, and most of the cards were cherry picked from doubles and triples. In the case of the HOF's, they more often than not were cherry picked from 5 to 10 copies.

The cards will be issued to the new owner in three blue plastic PSA boxes that hold twenty five cards each.

This set for auction is completely separate from my set on the Registry, and all of the cards in this set are ready to be added to the PSA Registry by the new owner.

Here is the link to the auction...1970 KELLOGG'S 3-D COMPLETE 75 CARD SET IN PSA 9

Comments

• Where've you been Gemmint?

Good Luck with that. Hope you get a bunch out of it. I'm glad you aren't getting out of the Kellogg's collecting.

Working on 1976 Kellogg's, PSA 9 or 10. Feel free to send mail to My Email with any offers on 76 Kellogg's. Go Washington Redskins, Go Oakland A's!!!!!!!!!
  • gemmintman, not collect Kelloggs? That will be the day the Earth crashes into the sun. The guy's a Kelloggs junkie. You can find him hanging around the cereal aisle in the local supermarket bugging the manager "Hey are you sure you don't have any boxes of old Corn Flakes in the back?"

Seriously, great set, and a great opportunity for someone to get something worthwhile in one clean shot.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Hey, that's a really low opening bid. I hope that no one bids on it as I just bid a grand on it!!! Cheap at twice the price.
  • thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    You better not be the only bidder! LOL Hey thanks!!
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    If the standards used to make up this set are like the high end 64 Giants cards you own, I would
    think you are definitely getting the best of the best here. I would know!image

Gemmint,

Good luck with the auction. Maybe it's time to jump into the Kellogg's phenomena!image

aconte
  • Gemmint - I know I give you a hard time but I wish you the best of luck with the auction. It is a great set of cards and I hope it gets the amount it deserves.

"We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Gorgeous set -- I hope you get a really nice price for it. Unfortunately, there are no 1951 Bowmans that I need. There are a bunch of PSA 9 1950's, however, and even a PSA 10 from 1952. (No 1955's either for Marc.)
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

GemMint-

Best of Luck with your auction...

Over time as board members achieve 100% completion, I would think that most (if not all) of us would not have a problem having a fellow member "plugging" a set they have up for auction. Its nice to see another member get to the point where they can enjoy the "fruits of their labor"....and all of us have an interest on how graded sets will fair on the auction block.

John Basilone
  • rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631

<< <i>You better not be the only bidder! LOL Hey thanks!! >>

I've just placed a bid on it. image

I also noticed that the auction title is The World's Greatest 1970 Kelloggs Baseball Set! So, am I getting the set that you have listed on the registry (which is really the World's Greatest Set!) image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • So it was you who outbid me! LOL

Dear Paul,

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN OUTBID! Your item information is below.
    Please verify that the information is correct. If you want to bid again,
    use the speed link at the bottom of this message.

Auction#: 11130
    Auction Closes: June 13-2002 07:00 p.m.
    Item ID/Lot No: 1653
    Item: The World's Greatest 1970 Kelloggs Baseball Set!
    Current Bid: $1,050.00
    Email:

BID AGAIN AT: http://www.collectors.com/auctions/lot_detail.xhtml?passkey=875-C9613-7977&lotid=1789685&auctid=11130

Thank you for your participation in the Collectors Universe Auctions.
    If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact us at customerservice@collectors.com.
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great... thanks Robert...

I was going to offer him $200 CASH if he shut down the auction. Looks like that plan is shot...image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631

<< <i>So it was you who outbid me! LOL >>

Sorry Zardoz, but I figure it's cheaper to buy the whole set than to get the last 15 or so commons I need off Ebay. image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • No problem Robert!

I was planning on buying the set, running on ebay the 15 commons that you need and having you buy them, double my money on the whole set, and have the balance of the set as profit. Another plan foiled! LOL
    Hey everybody, and I do mean everybody, thanks for the kind words and best wishes for a good auction result image.

Rbeaton - thanks for the bid! Whatever you do, don't let Zardoz win image. Also, I was surprised by the title they used in the auction "The World's Greatest 1970 Kelloggs Baseball Set!", but hey if that's their professional opinion I'm not going to argue with it, LOL.

FB - you meant $200 per card, right image.

Basilone - this will be a good "test" for the Registry as a whole. Thanks.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    gemmintmnan...do you mind me asking why you didnt try ebay first? Ethan
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx

Following up Calleocho's question...is there a reason you chose Superior rather than Mastro to auction off your set? Do you favor one house over the other?

John
    Ethan, I wanted to get a much greater exposure for the set. Unfortunately with Ebay only people specifically looking for Kellogg's cards would ever see the set. Also, Chris Porter of Superior Sports was very excited about the set and offered me a sweet consignment rate. If you've ever spoken with Chris he's a very professional low key guy and is not easily excited about a consignment. Anyway I thought that was a plus. So I'm hoping that there will be at least a few bidders with Superior who don't normally collect Kellogg's and will want a complete vintage PSA 9 set that is drop dead gorgeous.
    Basilone - generally speaking I'm more comfortable with Superior. That's not to say I would never consign with Mastro (I have). I just get more "feel good" feelings with Superior. Also, I think you get more personal attention from Superior, and they're more likely to work with you on different issues regarding your consignments.
  • It will be interesting to see if they are able to attract a bidder outside of this thread. Sweet consignment deal or not, on Ebay you would be looking at under $50 to sell the set if it goes for $2500.
    Waitill - for the extra $100-200 in consignment fees I get thousands of more potential bidders who would never have seen the set on Ebay. Also, Superior does all the work. I'd say that's an excellent trade off.
  • wait

I think that you will be in for a rude awakening. The entire Kelloggs collecting population do not dwell on this board. The number of collectors that are turning to Kelloggs is truly amazing. The prices realized on several cards has tripled in the past couple of months. It sure as heck isn't the members of this board that's causing this upswing.
    I was just thinking that maybe the set should of had PSA in the title which would give it more search visibility....

Just my $0.02.

John
    Basilone - I hear ya, but you know the search function for Superior and Mastro never seem to work so well anyway. Try putting "psa" in the search function, and you'll see what I mean. It misses most of the psa items.

Most of the potential bidders get Superior's catalogue anyway, and it's a lot easier and more fun to go through than on the internet. The people who I want to see it will see it.

Also I forgot to mention that Chris Porter mentions certain items that are being auctioned to people he crosses paths with. For example he told me he would "talk up" my set at the Fort Washington show, and one member here confirmed to me that he did just that. One way or another the word gets out about what's being auctioned.
    That being the case...we are talking about adding 3 letters (PSA) to the title which would help with the marketing. Im not sure what Surperior was thinking with the title...again just my opinion. The charm of the set is that its 100% PSA Graded...and not just any Kellogg's set.

Just a unbiased 3rd Party observation...I hope all goes well with the sale.

John
    Basilone, I just got off the phone with Chris Porter of Superior Sports. He's going to have his people add "PSA" to the title. It was no big deal, and he was happy to help. Thanks for the suggestion!
    GemMint-

Just trying to help out...I hope you (and everyone else) receives top-dollar for their graded sets.

(It gives me piece of mind for my addiction! )

John
    Basilone, it was a good suggestion and I appreciate it. I see that Superior has already fixed it, and when you enter "psa" in the search field it is the first item that comes up! You gotta love it image.
  • zardoz, etc. - Sure the prices of Kellogg's cards have been going up lately. But, where are these Kellogg's cards being sold? Where have they tripled in the past couple months? On Ebay, of course. I'd have to look, but I don't remember there being any in the last Superior Auction. Hopefully, the Ebay people who have driven the prices up of Kellogg's cards lately, show up at the Superior Auction.
    Waitill, the last Superior Auction featured some graded Kellogg's cards from 1970, 1971, and 1972. The Superior Auction before that had some 1970 and 1971 Kellogg's graded cards. I've seen them in even earlier auctions as well. Mastro Auctions have had quite a number of these cards in the recent past too.
  • Gemmint COngrats on a great set ...I know I speak for everyone that I hope you do well. Just to add to your comments there have also been a some PSa 8 & 9 Kellogg's popping up on Greg Manning's Teletrade lately as well mostly star card lots with 8 or 9 PSa 9's ...So the word about this set is definitely getting out.... I might place a bid on it as well LOL Jeffimage
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Jeff, thanks for your good wishes. I really appreciate it. Sure, go ahead and bid. I won't stop you image.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Gemmint,

Wow! What a fantastic set! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have a serious interest in your set and plan to bid on it. There's a lot to be said for buying an entire set at once as opposed to putting it together one card at a time. I'll pay an extra $300 or $400 not to go through that hassle.

I also agree that Chris Porter is a first class act. He secured many of the hard to find stars for my 1968 Topps Baseball set and his descriptions over the phone were very accurate if not slightly conservative and he always supplied scans as requested. You made the right choice going with Superior.
    Thanks Dude!! I can't believe I received the "Dan Markel Seal of Approval". That's like the hobby's highest honor! image
  • AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    GemMint,

Good luck with your sale of the set. I am looking forward to seeing the final hammer price of the set. This is one of the first completely graded sets sold by a major auction house, and I'm sure it's the first sraight PSA 9 set to be offered.

Alfiewt, thanks a lot for the warm wishes! image
    I finally got my catalogue today and there are pictures of 1952 Bowman cards above the lot description where your Kellogg's cards should be.
    You mean I will get early fifties Bowman bidders on my Kellogg's set image ?

David, I don't have my catalgoue yet. What about below the description? What's there?
    I think it is exactly the same as what is listed online. The link is on the first post on this thread, I believe.
    UPDATE - Chris Porter just called me out of the blue (I figured what it had to be about after David's post). Chris said he just received his catalogue too, and he saw the mistake. Their original print was correct so he can't explain the error. What can I say - Chris apologized profusely and was very embarrassed about the error. He offered to pull the lot if I wasn't happy, but I told him that wasn't necessary. He and his staff will certainly point out the printing mistake to whoever asks about the set over the phone. Obviously I'm not happy with the error, but I doubt it will have a meaningful impact on the set's final auction value, and I was happy that Chris called me to apologize and discuss it.

If it were me, I would be looking for a "adjustment" on their fees.
    I think you're right Basilone.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Gemmintman,

I bid $2,200 and dropped. Tell me why I should bid higher. I have no clue what these have been going for on ebay or in other auctions but I have an interest in an all psa 9 set. You can respond here or e-mail me. Any of my sets on the registry have my e-mail address.

Davalilo
    Davalillo, thanks a lot for bidding!

Depending on a number of factors including of course scarcity, most PSA 9's have seen significant price movement in recent months with the last two Clementes going for $125 and $100. Many of the scarcer commons have experienced substantial movements upward in recent weeks and have pushed near $50 at times. There are so many new collectors of this set that prices seem to pounce up at times. Including Superior's costs, I think the set might still cost you more if you decided to put this together yourself and if you wished to spend the time doing so. Keep in mind that you would most likely have to do some submitting yourself to acquire some of the tougher 9's, and the whole process would take one to two years depending on how aggressive you wish to pursue the set. Also, you would very likely not be able to duplicate the overall quality of this particular set because so many of the cards were cherry picked from multiple copies I owned. So if you desire a dead mint All PSA 9 1970 Kellogg's 3-D set without doing any of the work, further bidding would definitely be justified.

Thanks again! I appreciate the bidding and your questions. Good Luck!

• Nice pitch Gemmint image
    Looking for former University of Arizona NBA RC's in PSA or BGS 9's/GEM MINT grades. Die hard University of Arizona and Bay Area Sports fan.
  • U of a

catch is, that gemmintman speaks the truth. It's no secret that I have been assembling the set in 9's, and it sure isn't an easy task.
    Gemmint,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Even though I collect a lot of sets, I am unfamiliar with this one and as you know it is not listed in the SMR. Based on what you said I expect to keep bidding(I previously put a $2,200 top when the set was about $1,400 so there may be only one other bidder).

Davalillo
    Davalillo - great! Good luck! I'm sure whoever the high bidder is will love this vintage set and will be very proud owning it image.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    gemmint,

I wish you the best tonight with your set. I'd love to have it, but as I told you, other collecting opportunities came up.
    Thanks Dude. I appreciate your interest in the set image.

Just so you kow, I have decided to pass and focus on some vintage cards--good luck.

Davalillo