Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Sharing 1997 SP Authentic Tradition Joe Montana Jerry Rice Auto PSA 10. Just added a Joe Montana &am

Hello!! Just thought I'd share my new pick up!! Amazing card!! Great vibrant print! The autos look 10 each! What I really like is no massive or big chipping, or real rough cut! That's hard to find. Anyone have an idea how many of these were signed?

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello!! Just thought I'd share my new pick up!! Amazing card!! Great vibrant print! The autos look 10 each! What I really like is no massive or big chipping, or real rough cut! That's hard to find. Anyone have an idea how many of these were signed?

image >>

Fixed links.

ETA: Awesome looking card, but I have no idea on the print run.
  • Thanks, you beat me to it. image
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, you beat me to it. image >>

No problem. I really wanted to see the card image
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow That is really neat regardless of print run.
    PackManInNC
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    No matter, great card!
    PackManInNC
  • Congrats ..... that's one heck of a card image
  • ha! Thanks Larkin! and thanks for all the comments! The SP/UD products from this time era are cut so poorly, I always wondered if they had been using the O-Pee-Chee and UK machines from the late 1970's! ha! It's amazing after all this time, there are only 2 PSA 10, 1 BGS 9.5. I have seen BGS 9 pop 3, sell for around $450. And that was a long time ago. I'd like to collect all 6 cards in the subset, but I don't think I will ever find them. They just aren't around, that's why I was wondering about any known data on how many signed.
  • updated the title with question-bump
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    I want it!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • One of the marquee sets from the early days of the hobby autograph boom... at least in football.

It's a terrific set, loaded from top to bottom, with some excellent player picks.

The box/wrapper never indicated the print run, Beckett doesn't either, and I've never heard of any on the various forums I've frequented.

They were a very tough pull, but they aren't particularly scarce. If you diligently watch eBay, they do show up from time to time.

The set is, in my opinion, very doable... but I say that irregardless of grading. Most I've seen offered up have not been graded.

Great pick-up and please keep us updated if you do go for the set.

Scott
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic card! The autos really jump off the card. Congrats!

• << <i>One of the marquee sets from the early days of the hobby autograph boom... at least in football.

It's a terrific set, loaded from top to bottom, with some excellent player picks.

The box/wrapper never indicated the print run, Beckett doesn't either, and I've never heard of any on the various forums I've frequented.

They were a very tough pull, but they aren't particularly scarce. If you diligently watch eBay, they do show up from time to time.

The set is, in my opinion, very doable... but I say that irregardless of grading. Most I've seen offered up have not been graded.

Great pick-up and please keep us updated if you do go for the set.

Scott >>

Thanks again to everyone for the great comments! (Very funny Halosfan!)

Scott, I agree that raw, the set is very doable. However, as a minimum PSA 9 set, that would be a huge challenge. The cut is very poor on this sub set. The chipping can really show up on those grey edges, and back edges. I believe that's the big reason only the Montana/Rice is the only one graded so far by PSA in this subset. Its the biggest value card worth taking the time and a chance. Look below at the pop count for both BGS and PSA. They are scarce enough in combo with poor cut, that after all this time of PSA/BGS grading have next to nothing for pop counts 9 or higher. I don't think these numbers will increase very much. Added bonus is that it is the first ever dual auto Montana/Rice card. Again, about 5 years ago, I saw a BGS 9 sell for $450. If a PSA/BGS 9 has sold since then, I missed it. I imagine it would be more today, I believe to get 9 or better will always be very hard to come by.

1997 SP Authentic Traditions Jerry Rice/Joe Montana #TD3 BGS 9 pop 3, BGS 9.5 pop 1, BGS 10 pop 0, PSA 9 pop 1, PSA 10 pop 2.

• Hat trick!!! With their first ever dual auto, I had to add their rookie cards!! Very nice trio! I like the old label Montana as it is centered from side to side. I can live with the top to bottom, not unappealing to me, as off center side to side would be. (for some reason back side scan centering looks worse then it really is, or I need glasses) Also, I believe the top 2 corners and the bottom right are PSA 10. The front surface is a great print! No fish eyes, red spots, or snow dots in the field, Joe's face is clear with no red dots. Excellent surface!! A great old label 9! The Jerry Rice is centered and also has a great print!!! Two amazing 9's to add to pull off hat trick! ha!!

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1981 TOPPS 216 JOE MONTANA PSA 9 OLD LABEL PIC 1_zpsddty8npu.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1981 TOPPS 216 JOE MONTANA PSA 9 OLD LABEL PIC 2_zpsvnkhvgbi.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1986 TOPPS 161 JERRY RICE PSA 9 PIC 1_zpsm3wv7vtq.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1986 TOPPS 161 JERRY RICE PSA 9 PIC 2_zpsaz7nlhdr.jpg.html]image[/URL]