Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need Help With Strat-O-Matic Game Cards

Hey Guys,

Hope someone out there can help me.

I've been putting together a Tony Gwynn card collection for some time now and although the Strat-O-Matic Game Cards do not have photos on them, I still try to get the Gwynns.
My question is this, how do I classify the year? I have a card in front of me that says "1982 Batting Record" and it doesn't have Copyright Date. Is this considered a 1982 card or a 1983 card? I'm assuming 1983 since it is based on 1982 Stats.

I also collect the Avalon Hill Statis Pro Game Cards and they are a little different. There aren't any stats on the card, but on top of the card it says San Diego-1983 (referring to the 1983 season) and shows a Copyright date of 1984. Again, is this a 1983 or 1984 card. I assume 1984 as the card is based on 1983 stats.

Lastly there is the APBA Game Cards. These have no stats and only list a Copyright Date. The one in front of me says 1986. Is this 1 1985 or 1986 card? I would assume 1986 based on the Copyright Date.

Now these are just my assumptions. I do not know enough about these cards to determine the correct years. For all I know, a card that says San Diego-1983 may be considered the 1983 card. I don't want to get the years wrong and then miss out on a card. Does anyone know how the years are classified for these cards? I have noticed on Ebay some sellers date the cards based on the stats and others based on the Copyright Date.

Thanks for any help,
Chris
Love '83 Topps. Looking to put together a PSA 10 set.

Comments

• MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Chris, you assumption on the Strat-O-Matic cards is correct, if the card says "1982 Stats" the card was based on the 1982 season and issued in 1983. As a kid and a dedicated Strat player we always anticipated the delivery of the new card set.

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I remember playing the game back in the early 60's......more than one summer was dedicated to playing baseball until it got dark outside and then coming in and playing strat o matic in the evenings.
  • cgcmgrcgcmgr Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Thanks guys
    Love '83 Topps. Looking to put together a PSA 10 set.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    didn't SOM put pictures on the cards one year (like an All Star set) in the late 1990's?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The copyright year on the APBA cards is the year they were made. If the copyright reads 86 then it's based on the 85 season. I would say the same thing for Strat.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Strat player and have been for more than 20 years. It's an awesome game.

The others are correct. 1987 stats on a card published in 1988. IronmanFan is also correct. In 1998 Strat tried selling a set with player photos. Here is the Gwynn: image

The set did not sell well and Strat ended up selling them on the cheap some years later. I bought several sets to sell to player collectors, and easily made my money back. I likely have them somewhere. If I have a Gwynn, I'll happily send it to you. Just don't expect it immediately. :-) You can PM me your info.

If you're at all intrigued, I'd encourage you to buy a few team sets and get your hands on the rules to give it a shot. It's a great game. I can't wait until my son is old enough to roll the dice and take on the old man.

Drew
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Chris, if you're still looking for a Tony Gwynn like the one pictured, I may be able to help. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Drew