Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whomever bought the 1981 Topps Football Rack Box FASC from the BBCE site got a great deal.

$1300 for a 1981 T FB FASC box is just an amazing price. That is at minimum a $1800 box during an auction.

There is a 1975 Topps FB cello Box for $3300. I think that is just an OK price.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    that seems very high, but 77 cellos appear to be pretty rare compared to 75s...but 4200 is bonkers. i still kick myself though for passing on a box at like 1300 probably 1.5 years ago because over $50/pack seemed nuts to be at the time.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Wow, that is surprising. I agree the 75 is a much stronger year.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess 1977 Topps Cellos are rarer than 1975 Topps Cello (I think there was a case find a few years ago), but at the end of the day the cards are what make the difference.

I see a 1972 Topps FB Wax Box at around the same price as the 1977 Cello. I know mid-late 1970's football is in always high demand - thank you Pittsburgh Steelers - but I never thought 1977 as a special year.
    Mike
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Dale Murphy and Andre Dawson thought is was a special year image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    Dale Murphy and Andre Dawson thought it was a special year

are they fans off 77 topps football too?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dale Murphy and Andre Dawson thought it was a special year

are they fans off 77 topps football too? >>

Maybe this Andre Dawson is: FB or Dale's sons Shawn and Jake image
  • Options
    The MLB, NFL, and NBA 1977 Rookie of the Years winners all had the same initials - Adrian Dantley, Andre Dawson, and Anthony "Tony" Dorsett.
    Mike
  • Options
    Vintage FB Box buyers are prowling all over the place. D&A had a 1984 Topps and 1972 Topps FB Box last week and they are both gone. I see that someone or someones bought a bunch of early 1980's FB from BBCE.

Mike
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    I picked up my 75 and 77 cello boxes last year. Same eBay seller. When I got them they had a D&A cards with them from a few years ago inside. BBCE has since certified and wrapped them. Like to see the recent uptick in these.

Bob.
  • Options
    I have had good luck buying from D&A. Every box I got from them has been OK'd by Steve. Their prices are higher than they used to be, but you can get deals when they have a sale.

I bought a lot of 1986 Topps FB Cellos from them a couple of years ago and got a Rice, Steve Young, and Bruce Smith on the back of three packs.
    Mike
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The MLB, NFL, and NBA 1977 Rookie of the Years winners all had the same initials - Adrian Dantley, Andre Dawson, and Anthony "Tony" Dorsett. >>

Dorsett was the offensive rookie of the year. The defensive rookie of the year was A.J. Duhe. MLB has two ROYs (Eddie Murray was the other one in 1977).
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

seems like 2.5 years turned the fb rack box from $1300 to $3K from the recent box break. OP was right on target

• Options

I actually saw this thread yesterday and was about to bump it, but I didn't want to seem like I was bragging ;)

I was literally checking out when someone snagged the 1981 T FB Rack Box FASC from me.

Mike
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I have had good luck buying from D&A. Every box I got from them has been OK'd by Steve. Their prices are higher than they used to be, but you can get deals when they have a sale.

I bought a lot of 1986 Topps FB Cellos from them a couple of years ago and got a Rice, Steve Young, and Bruce Smith on the back of three packs.

I've never had a problem with D and A yet. Not once over many years.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I stopped at their Niagra Falls retail shop in 2012, and was disappointed there was no vintage on display...seemed to focus on memorabilia and new stuff

• Options

2012-early 2015 was a sweet spot for unopened vintage football. Prices were still relatively low compared to baseball and the spike wasn't as aggressive except for the glamour years - 1976. 1984, 1986.

I got a lot of good deals from D&A, Steel City and local shows.

Mike
  • Options

Nice rack........case. I know someone that sold an 1986 FB Rack case to Hal S earlier this year. I guess Hal was pretty cool to deal with, he sent him an auto team ball.

I got the 1975 Topps Football Cello Box FASC from BBCE before someone could pinch me again. I just sent an email to Steve first calling dibs instead of ordering thru the site.

Mike
  • Options

Wow,one of my favorite football years. Amazing what unopened goes for now.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

this one always pains me b/c one of my big "misses"- A seller listed a sealed 81 FB rack case on ebay for 2600 in maybe 2012/2013. Rack boxes were going for about 800 then so i cheaply submitted a best offer of 2400 or something. someone swooped in and bought it later in the day and i felt like a jack as8

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    Yep, at the Chicago National July 2015, I picked up an 81T FB rak case for $5k
    Hopefully 84 & 86 continue to come back down to earth. I want 83 & 85 too.
    Lately, I have been able to pick up 82 and a ton of 87 cases / FASC boxes :+1:

sweet get Stifler

for some 81T FB FASC price perspective i went back and checked my records -- bought a box from BBCE for $1300 on 3/18/15 and turned it over via PWCC for $2325 on 2/21/16