Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does this have a chance at 5? 1959 Pele

I just got this in the mail from Sweeden. It's always a crap shoot when buying from over seas but I was pretty surprised with the condition of this one. There is a surface crease on the lower right corner. Does this have a chance at a 5 or more like a 3 -4?

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'm responsible for having subbed at least 40% of the graded population of that set, maybe more, plus a good deal of the similar boxing cards as well (even though those are labeled as 1958 while the soccer ones are labeled as 1959). 6 of those have been that Pele card. I'm not seeing a 5 on yours, though that could depend on luck of the grader draw. They seem to be fairly tough on this set. You might get a 4 though. I'll try to find some time to dig out a PSA 5 from the same set and scan it for comparison. The 6's are really nice by comparison, FWIW.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Cool thanks for the feedback. I'm happy with even a 4. I never expect much in terms of condition when i buy from over seas.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

<< <i>Cool thanks for the feedback. I'm happy with even a 4. I never expect much in terms of condition when i buy from over seas. >>

Agreed. Not the case w/ this Pele, but I find it is best to buy condition-irrelevant cards from some nations whenever possible (i.e., yours might grade a 1 but it doesn't matter if it will probably also be the only one anyone finds and subs too)

i agree. In my experience cards from europe are not too bad. Cards from South America seem to be the most beat up. Its also a much smaller sample though because i havent seen many sellers from there and paypal is not the first option like my experience with Euro sellers. The one issue that seems to be constant is the packaging.. most of the time the card is stuck between 2 index cards and mailed in a plain envelope. The worst case i had was the 1965 Lampo Cassius Clay card i bought from italy. I pay a couple hundred for it and it was just thrown in a plain envelope. I was lucky it didnt get creased.

More often than not, I'd put Italy in with the South American countries as far as quality of card and of packaging, as compared with most other Euro nations. There are exceptions of course, but in general the cards I get from there are worse than from other nations. They do have some neat oddball stuff though, that's for sure.

On as side note to that, when I buy items shipped from Venezuela, they usually ship using FedEx and just drop the card in the envelope and seal it up. These packages almost always arrive to me having been opened and inspected by US customs, and I'm not sure how much shipping abuse occurs during that inspection. Do you have origination countries that seem to be subject to frequent inspection too?

<< <i>Cool thanks for the feedback. I'm happy with even a 4. I never expect much in terms of condition when i buy from over seas. >>

I have a few 5's and 6's from 1958-59 Heinerle. I scanned what I would consider to be the minimum condition to be able to get a grade of EX 5:

My example here looks worse in the scan than in hand. I think based on your lower right corner on your Pele, you are probably looking at a solid 4 with a chance at a 4.5, though I could be wrong. My 3's are noticeably not as nice as your Pele, and I don't have any 3.5's.

Thought it had a chance to do better but no luck. Not sure if I'll bother to crack and resub or just accept the 3

24138824 VERY GOOD 3 1959 Heinerle Pele Card