Home Sports Talk

2 Sport Athletes

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just saw ESPN 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson, had he not been injured I think it could have been a close call between him and Neon Deion Sanders as the best 2 Sport Athlete ever, will we ever see another 2 Sport guy again? With the stupid money being thrown at some of these guys I can't see it happening again.

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Sanders was more of a 3 sport guy, playing both sides of the NFL field.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take Bo anytime. Saw him hit two monster home runs at the Kingdome one game. My buddy and I gave him a standing O on the second one. Respect for that guys ability.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see a player getting one of those mega $ contracts and the contract having a clause in there prohibiting playing a second sport.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackson had HOF football talent. Had great raw baseball talent, too, and power, but struck out way too much.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    remember Danny Ainge was a two sport athlete. IIRC, the Blue Jays drafted him too.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Russel wilsons suiting up for baseball again.

Don't forget fan favorite Jameis winston.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a ton if you inc college...tony gwynn as ex.

D Winfield was drafted in 3 sports.....

Now for just 2 prof sports:

Bud Grant
    Dave Debusherre
    Brian Jordan (BB & FB) same time as D Sanders
    Chuck Connors....actor

Bob Gibson
    Fergie Jenkins both also for the harlem globtrotters

JIm Thorpe FB & BB

Eric Heiden was a skater and Bicyclist

I believe Racer Jackie Stewert was world champion in F1 and Skeet shooting
    Only world champ in 2 sports?????????
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    Hershel walker ..Olympic bobsled and ftball
    Tracy mcgrady...NBA...minor league pitcher
    Then Jordan....NBA..minor league bball.....motorcycle racing!
    Ed too tall jones...NFL...boxing

Kind of..Winfield, manziel,elway

A few more if you include the xgames

Of course the WWE. Ha.... Lawernce Taylor, Barkley, etc
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Kenny Lofton if I remember correctly played D1 basketball.
    Bo was a pleasure to watch in both sports.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Who can name the only player ever drafted in the first round of two different sport leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

Hint: he hasn't been named in this thread yet.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Neon Deon is the only one to hit a HR and get a pic (INT) in the same day.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who can name the only player ever drafted in the first round of two different sport leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

Hint: he hasn't been named in this thread yet. >>

I know Elway was drafted out of high school and was later drafted in the first round by the Yankees.

Winfield may be the only player to be drafted in three sports

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jackson had HOF football talent. Had great raw baseball talent, too, and power, but struck out way too much. >>

Yep
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been many D-1 college athletes who played two sports well enough to where they could earn a living in either sport.

Dave Winfield could have played pro football, basketball or baseball.

Tony Gonzales of K.C. Chiefs fame could have played in the NBA.

I do not remember his name but a starting QB at a major D-1 school also played point guard on the school team and opted to play in the NBA instead of the NFL.

Elway and Danny Ainge played in the NFL and the NBA instead of MLB.

Al "Bubba" Baker of NFL fame played both D-1 college football and basketball. He was a stud in both sports and could have had an NBA career. Instead he played for years in the NFL.

I expect that many NBA players who are built like LeBron James and between 6'5" and 6'9" that have blazing speed could play tight end or receiver in the NFL. I understand that quiet a few guys like this who play hoops in college and maybe play some minor league pro hoops are try out for and make NFL rosters.

It would not surprise me to see that some of the bigger, stronger and faster NHL players could also possibly play tight end or receiver in the NFL.

Bo Jackson was a stud. Too bad he got injured. Deon Sanders was also a stud.

Way back in the day a guy named Lonnie Wright played football for the Denver Broncos in the AFL and played basketball for the Denver Rockets in the ABA in the 1960's He was 6'3" and made out of granite. He supposedly could jump up and take loose change off of the top of the backboard (13" above the floor).

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Skeets Nehemiah

<< <i>

<< <i>Who can name the only player ever drafted in the first round of two different sport leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

I know Elway was drafted out of high school and was later drafted in the first round by the Yankees.
    >>

It's not Elway. He was drafted in the 2nd round by the Yankees.
    Kirk Gibson could have been an All Pro in the NFL. He was a beast in college

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe Racer Jackie Stewert was world champion in F1 and Skeet shooting
    Only world champ in 2 sports????????? >>

Otto Graham was a member of the Rochester Royals, who won the 1946 NBL (National Basketball League) championship, and the Cleveland Browns, who won 4 AAFC (1946, 47, 48 and 49) and 3 NFL (1950, 54 and 55) championships. Championships in two pro sports (basketball and football) in the same year (1946).

Gene Conley was a member of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves, who beat the Yankees in the World Series, and he won three NBA championships with the Boston Celtics from 1959 - 1961.

Steve

Tom Glavine? (LA Kings and Atlanta Braves)

Steve
    Here are five more (MLB and NFL) - All five are Pro Football HOFers:

Ernie Nevers
    Ace Parker
    George Halas
    "Greasy" Neale
    Red Badgro

Also:

Cal Hubbard (Only man inducted in Pro Football HOF and MLB HOF (as an umpire))

Ernie Ladd and Wahoo McDaniel each played in the American Football League and also were pro wrestlers.

I believe Wilt Chamberlain also played in a short-lived pro-beach volleyball league)

Steve

<< <i>

Tom Glavine? (LA Kings and Atlanta Braves)

>>

No, not Glavine.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond the names already mentioned, I kicked this around and came up empty. So I looked it up. Unless someone has some sort of personal connection or cheats, this one is going to go unanswered. If someone does get it, I'll be thoroughly impressed.

Dude was a very marginal player in his chosen sport.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I missed it but I don't think I've seen Drew Henson mentioned here.

Not the caliber of some of the talent mentioned here but obviously had something going on.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

<< <i>

Beyond the names already mentioned, I kicked this around and came up empty. So I looked it up. Unless someone has some sort of personal connection or cheats, this one is going to go unanswered. If someone does get it, I'll be thoroughly impressed.

Dude was a very marginal player in his chosen sport. >>

At marginal you are being kind. I look it up also.

MJ

<< <i>Maybe I missed it but I don't think I've seen Drew Henson mentioned here.

Not the caliber of some of the talent mentioned here but obviously had something going on. >>

Ah the good ole days with Brady and Henson at QB and when we used to beat Ohio State like a drumimage

MJ

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dude was a very marginal player in his chosen sport. >>

At marginal you are being kind. I look it up also.

MJ >>

Hey, I said 'very' marginal. But upon further inspection, I think very, very marginal would be more apt. lol

Let me put it this way. If a guy is chosen in the first round of two major sports, you'd expect a more prepossessing resume.
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Bud Grant?
    If you looked it up, dont tell us. Good question, I'm still thinking.

Tell me if one was NHL....cuz then i won't have a clue

<< <i>If you looked it up, dont tell us. Good question, I'm still thinking.

Tell me if one was NHL....cuz then i won't have a clue >>

I'll give you a hint: he opted to play in the NBA. I am a hoops fan and never would have been able to answer it. In fact, when mlb unveils who it is, those who are not in tune with The Association will still be scratching their heads.
    Not Bud Grant.

HINTS: The player did not play in the NHL. He played on a championship team with (perhaps) the greatest athlete ever.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    otto graham

also Tom Glavine was drafted by the L a kings. He never did play HK though
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    The answer to the trivia question is Scott Burrell.