Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Selling: 1973(s) CLAD Eisenhower Dollar (PCGS-PR70DCAM) - Best Price Out There !

Offered here is a 1973(s) CLAD Eisenhower Dollar grading PCGS-PR70DCAM !

A spectacular Pop 5/0 coin.

Offered here at $6995 with free shipping!

Coin is subject to prior sale and no deal is final unless and until I provide a written confirmation to an interested party.

Thanks.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

As always, I eager to learn from you, so I have a couple of questions regarding this coin and your 1973-S PCGS PR70DCAM Roosevelt Dime you have for sale.

1) Regarding the Ike Dollar being PR70DCAM pop (4/0) and under grade pop (14,441/4), how in the world after looking at over 14,000+ Ike dollars over 29 years, would PCGS find this and 3 other Ikes special enough to give it a 70 instead of a 69? I mean after looking at so many Ikes, what do you think would set this 1 single dollar apart from the other ones graded? Would it be the level of frost? I remember you saying that PCGS needs to come up with an "Elite frostiness level" beyond Deepcameo. What is your opinion...

2) Along with the Dime, what was the catalysis for coming to the prices asked? Was it previous auction hammer prices or recouping losses in subbing mass quantities of coins and receiving PR69DCAM grades with low pop PR70DCAM ie: 1%-2% max, or possibly even a lower %.

3) The answer is probably NO they didn't, but did both of these beautiful specimens come from the same proof set, and if so, did any other PR70DCAM coins come from that set. Have you ever subbed an entire early date proof set and received multiple 70's from said set?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer these questions. I don't know why, but I find myself intrigued by things such as this, I guess its the "Collector" in me that is always looking to learn and search out new and interesting things.

Later, Paul.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul. Hi. I am happy to answer your questions and if you have any follow ups, just send me a PM so no one gets upset that this thread keeps getting Ttt.

1. I started trying to slab a 1973-S Ike in PR70DCAM aggressively back in around 2004/2005. It has been a ten year project for me personally. Ditto for the 1974-S Ike which remains pop 0 to this day in the 70 grade. I thought at least one 1973-S coin I got back from PCGS over that ten year period should have been a PR70. I resubmitted a coin or two once or twice in the past year and they remained a 69DCAM. This is just a "best guess" - I believe I personally slabbed, or have assisted another dealer with the slabbing of (and got to see), about the better part of 2,500-4,000+ of those near 15,000 PR69DCAM coins since I started about ten years ago. My personal inventory consists of the nicest specimens from those coins. The depth of cameo is helpful towards the grade (as is eye appeal on all grades of coins) but not determinative. Having a "monster Deep cameo" specimen is another beast entirely and actually what my son Justin and I collect for fun. Locating the most Mark-free examples with nice depth of cameo is what the grading services are looking for in awarding the PR70DCAM grade.

2. My asking price took into account the prior prices realized from the sale of one or two of the other three specimens as well as current asking price on an available coin out there. The spectacular proof collection that fellow board member Casabrown has assembled already has this date/grade in that set. To be honest, if I am successful in slabbing another coin or two this year, the price may well drop on my asking price. Likewise, if I am unsuccessful, and I still have the coin in stock, the price might increase. Ditto on the dime- an exceedingly tough coin to locate in the 70DCAM grade. I believe I successfully slabbed two coins over that same ten year period and previously sold one of them privately so I know obviously what that collector paid for his coin. When one is dealing with a super low pop mint state or proof modern or classic coin one comes up with the asking price and if a willing buyer and seller agree on a price, only time will tell of course whether that price holds up or not.

3. For me personally, these coins are generally submitted in quantities of 300 to PCGS so while it is theoretically possible two 70 grade coins could come from the same set, it is an exceedingly long shot possibility and one I would never know the answer to.

Again, if you have any follow up questions, just shoot me a PM and I would be happy to answer them. Wondercoin

edited to add ... I just received an email of a story ran by Coin World on 2/3/15 reporting a sale of the 1973-S Clad $1 at $9,075 at auction. Check out the story if you subsrcribe to CW.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

I haven't been on the boards as much lately, but I just wanted to say I really appreciate the time consuming answers. Unless you are subbing mass quantities of proof coinage it's hard to even fathom such events.

I couldn't even imagine subbing 10,000+ sets of 1 year, and I don't think many collectors have even seen in person that many sets total in their lifetime.

Thanks again!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • I enjoy Wondercoin's posts. Now that I'm online more frequently and have energy to do some of my own searching again I'm sure his advice will pay off whenever I make my next couple submissions. There's always something more to learn about these ultralow pop proofs. I wish this kind of market was present for proof varieties where CAM is rare and DCAM might be total pop of 2.
    David