Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your "critter" coins in honor of Bailey the dog, who passed away this morning

It's always sad when a pet dies, particularly after 15 years. But old Bailey had a good long life, and we've known it was coming for a while. He was frail, blind from cataracts, and deaf, though he kept his appetite and keen sniffer to the end. It was just his time to go. We didn't think he'd last out 2014, but he did, and he spared us the difficult decision of having to do that heart-wrenching final trip to the vet. Lenee found him in the kitchen this morning. image

We got him in the summer of 2000 from Marcie Swoveland, (Michael/Aethelred's first wife, who herself passed on a few years ago), so if you'll pardon a little bit of saccharine, I have this fond mental picture of Bailey jumping into her lap, up there in Heaven. image

'Bye, old buddy.

Good dog.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird CU double posting....

• Options
    I'm sorry image. They leave such a hole in the heart don't they?

I don't have critter coins handy at the moment, but here are a couple medals I have uploaded on the bucket.

Here are a couple pictures of my old Jackie. She died last spring after her osteosarcoma got to be too much. She was two days shy of her thirteenth birthday.

this is her last photo, she just got too tired and the pain was not being controlled anymore. She was the sweetest dog ever.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear Rob. Dogs have always been a part of my family so I know the attachment.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss of Bailey, Rob. You gave him a good life, and he'll be waiting for you with his friends at the Rainbow Bridge.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Feel your loss , Rob , sadly I experienced it several times image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss rob

Ive always been partial to cats so heres a coin and lazy cat (poky) picture of one that dies some years ago she slept like a human

[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/P6260010.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/Catcoin.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Jackie was a cutie. Whippet? image

Surprised nobody's posted any Irish coins yet, particularly the 6d. What other "doggie" coins are there? Surely there are some, though I can't think of any others offhand. (Except modern NCLT, perhaps.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully Bailey will get to hang out with Aki and all the other coin hounds in the sky.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I have some zoo issues of Gallienus but somehow I do not think a centaur or hippocamp is appropriate here.

I had only one dog, a stray I adopted when I was maybe eight. It was a little crazy and my Dad ended up getting rid of him but I was still pretty attached to a puppy that was really my own.

The only coin that I think is appropriate here is the one depicting the return of Odysseus as a beggar to ward off the suitors of Penelope, his long suffering (assumed widow) wife.

Argos

Like Argos, LM, Bailey awaits you on your return, whenever that may be.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    LordM, she was a smallish greyhound.

Here is another medal, and then one coin I found a picture of, a Somaliland 20 (can't remember the denomination). There is a nice husky type dog on a Norwegian coin, but I don't have a picture.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the loss. Even the ancients loved their dogs. Tiny British Celtic minim by 1st century king Verica, with a sleeping curled up dog.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So very sorry to hear of Bailey's passing. We are a four-dog family and the pooches are dear to us. I have coins that are dogs ... but no dogs on coins.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

It's so hard to loose a good buddy.image
    Becky
  • Options
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    A collection of English Setter covers (all [last page] beloved, all passed) here
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Great stuff. Does ol' Bailey proud. Thanks. image

The Celtic coin with the sleeping dog is neat. Knowing how abstract Celtic coins of that period can be, it's interesting to see how recognizable it is as a dog, and not some Picasso-esque mass of swirls and dots. Some of their gold "horse" coins are really neat looking, but calling the design a "horse" is sort of a stretch, if you know what I mean. (Boy, I sure wanted to dig one of those gold horsies when I was in England. We did detect on a field where a hoard of them had been found. I found some cool coins there, but no horsies. Somebody else dug one a couple days after I left.)

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Here are my girls with a 1908 German hound medal.

All three of us send our condolences.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry about your dog.

Macedonia Dinar 1997 - Macedonian Shepherd Dog

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2018 6:23AM
    Ireland Sixpence 1953 - Irish Wolfhound

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Aww, I'm sorry for you loss, LordM.

Here's a dog coin in Bailey's honor.

Roman Republic, C. Postumius
    74 BCE, Rome

AR denarius, 18.74 mm, 3.6 gm
    Obv: bust of Diana right, bow and quiver over shoulder
    Rev: hound running right, spear below; C. POSTVMI, TA in exergue
    Ref: Crawford 394/1a
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss Rob, We just lost "Tiger Boy" early December from Cancer, he was a good boy
    I buried him in the back yard with a big bag of his favorite treats "Temptations" and a buck worth
    of silver, a 1934 s and a 1964 p half dollar so he'd have first class travel to heaven, the next day
    a flock of seagulls circled our house, were about 40 miles inland, I have seen seagulls before but it
    is uncommon, so I know he made it.

Bailey will always and forever reside within your heart.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Nice Roman Republican stuff being posted. image

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. He looks like he was a Good Beast.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear, but it sounds like you were the best and most loving parent Bailey could ever have had!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to read this Rob,
    here's a picture of my cat, Molly. image

And Fred, the "silversmith" cat! image

• Options
    Cute kitties. Molly looks like one of ours.

With Bailey gone, we were down to 13 animals.

13? That wouldn't do. So for superstitious reasons, and to cheer everybody up, we just got Tipper from the Humane Society.

So now Shinnick's Funny Farm is back up to its quota of fourteen.

(3 dogs, 9 cats, 2 guinea pigs.)

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Holey Moley.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 dogs, 9 cats, 2 guinea pigs.

Awesome!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put down my chessie a few years ago - one of the hardest things i ever did.
    Could not find a coin with a dog but here is a horse
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

This critter walked in the shop today. Silver. 22.3 g. approx. About 38 to 40 mm. Thin planchet.

Not certain what kind of animal it is, but it looks wounded. Sorry for your loss. I'm at a loss, too.