Home Sports Talk

A few thoughts about the Super Bowl from a dinosaur spectator.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
My opinion is worthless as I am not the coveted 18-49 target group, but as you have patiently opened the thread, I will share a few thoughts.

First off, the event was spectacular. The game moved with an unexpected urgency that has all but been squeezed out of the regular season.

The officials were as invisible as possible and let the game progressed in a fluid manner.

Halftime show was, well a halftime show. No real talent was present, but the lightshow was entertaining and more importantly, was relatively quick and once over, they got the hardware off the field with alacrity and returned to the game.

One can only hope for a competitive game and for 60 minutes, that is what we got. Have watched many a quarter of pro football and my jaw literally dropped on the JK catch with a minute left. The Seattle rally of course was snuffed out with the short interception that will be debated for at least a decade (I thought the call was fine).

One problem though was the lingering sick feeling in the stomach. The queasiness that comes from a hanging chad or in this case an unanswered question.

Not only was this the most exciting SB that I can remember, but the least satisfying after it had ended. Goodell blew it by not wrapping up his investigation before the game. This was not the OJ trial or even the Ray Rice ordeal. It was a matter that could have been concluded in a few days. He chose instead to bury it as the Super Bowl is the holy grail of the sport and any distraction is to be minimized.

The cheering New England fans don't seem to mind the controversy and that is a magical trait that I envy, as I last enjoyed it when watching Bill Laimbeer anchor the Piston Bad Boys a generation ago. He was not a jerk, but a hero to Detroiters and if that type of logic is what gets fans through a long cold winter, then good enough.

.....as a sports fan though, we deserve better, but hey, I am no longer in the right demographic.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest report is that just 1, not 11, footballs were underinflated. I am not a Pats fan, by any means, but the more I think about this "controversy," the more I think it is really much ado about nothing.

Other than that, just another classic "Those Were the Days" Mglicker thread, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Punxsutawney Phil promises at least six more weeks of stupid deflate debates.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mglick as much of a poignant post as that was you get zero respect from me, you and a few others are hell bent on fanning the simmering flames of this now ridiculas deflategate topic and will not think otherwise so take your post and mail it some crying Seattle fan.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Latest report is that just 1, not 11, footballs were underinflated. I am not a Pats fan, by any means, but the more I think about this "controversy," the more I think it is really much ado about nothing.

Other than that, just another classic "Those Were the Days" Mglicker thread, lol.. >>

That is all well and good Grote. If it were only one ball, why did Goodell not get this wrapped up before the big game. He could take a lesson from Adam Silver