Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cards for possible bump(s) - opinions wanted

Have a couple of cards that I have picked up in the past 6 months that based on others opinions and from looking through a 5x and 19x lens might warrant submitting for a bump. Photos off the IPhone look pretty decent and through my scanner look even better. Please take a look and would love to get some feedback on these. Have a few recent purchases and a couple more I might need to fund which might necessitate moving some inventory depending how they come back. Thank you in advance for the help.

1956 Mays PSA 8

1966 Mantle PSA 8

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hair on mantles bat will keep it in an 8.

Very nice cards
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Definitely Mays, but with a huge caveat. Think that's a newer flip, when they began the .5 bumps. So presumably it didn't pass the sniff test for an 8.5 when it got the 8 grade. That "hair" on MM look to be outside the card and across the slab - not on the card. Looks like a little snow in the black and maybe less than pointy corners, notably the upper left. So 8 may be the best you can hope for.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Send me the cards and Ill scan them front and back for ya image
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mays looks freshly graded. Could it have already been cracked and re-subbed unsuccessfully?
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭
    awesome cards.

worth a try by all means.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The hair on mantles bat will keep it in an 8.

Very nice cards >>

After I posted the photo I noticed that as well. When you have two dogs in the house and one is still a puppy that runs everywhere you almost feel like you should be sponsored by Dyson. Hopefully PSA won't come up with a new qualifier for the strand of hair!
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    absolutely could see both of those bumped
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays looks like it might have a shot. Not so sure about the Mantle but might be worth a try. 2 outstanding looking cards.
    It's really impossible to judge corner wear on white borders with photos. Scans would be a better basis.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Keith- Having seen the mantle in hand, I could easily see it in 8.5 and would have resubbed it myself if you hadn't gotten it so soon after I picked it up. Mays it's hard to tell from the pic. Looks nice though!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those are absolutely gorgeous and I could see them in 9 holders. Two words though when cracking them out - be very careful.

"Molon Labe"

Some other cards for a possible sub. I can use scans of the cards if I can get them off of my computer on to my IPad.

Sorry for the double post. Below Mantle I don't think would bump - picked it up prior to the holidays after searching for a nice 8 that was not

• You eluded a PD qualifier on the 57 Mays card once already, I would not push that luck a second time.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Tough to tell without scans, but based on the photos I would say yes on both of the Micks & no on both of the Willies.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    The 56 mantle is a beautiful 8 but I think it's where it belongs.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You eluded a PD qualifier on the 57 Mays card once already, I would not push that luck a second time. >>

+1. Shows a lot of snow.

<< <i>

<< <i>You eluded a PD qualifier on the 57 Mays card once already, I would not push that luck a second time. >>

+1. Shows a lot of snow. >>

Thanks for the advice and went back and checked the Mays with a loop and all is good. Snow is from the photo with the IPhone - in hand and through a loop it looks cleans. Hard card to find with centering and corners along with the 1957 Aaron.

1956 Mays photo from scanner
    Here you go Keith- I still had my scans from the 57 Mays and 66 Mantle. I agree- the 57 Mays was clean in hand:

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
    So the 57 Mays was already cracked & re-subbed?

Edit: looks like a different card...
    Sorry- had the wrong scan up. It's correct now!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980

<< <i>So the 57 Mays was already cracked & re-subbed?

Edit: looks like a different card... >>

Thanks for posting the scans for me Jeff. To answer the question these cards have not been cracked and re-subbed. I bought both the 1957 Mays and 1966 Mantle from Jeff and both are beautiful cards. He simply posted his scans of them since my photos are from my IPhone where the quality is not as good - that is why you thought you saw snow.

I just bought a scanner last week (wife was nice enough to get it for me), but I have not loaded all of them on to my IPad to load them to photobucket to post here. Working on scanning all of my inventory as we speak, and that way I can post better quality scans - IPhone is decent in a pinch and allows you to share via ICloud but depth and quality are not as good. Picked up some really nice Clemente's from 1965, 1973 and Aaron's from 1972, 1973, and 1975 in 8.5/9 that I will post soon. Thank you again for the help. Better get back to my lemonade stand to help pay for some upcoming purchases image
    Sorry Keith I caused the confusion by initially posting the wrong 57 Mays from my SOLD file. That's why it looked like a crack an resub or different card- because it was different! LOL

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980

<< <i>Sorry Keith I caused the confusion by initially posting the wrong 57 Mays from my SOLD file. That's why it looked like a crack an resub or different card- because it was different! LOL

Jeff >>

No worries. They both looked the same because everything you sell is well centered and clean!
  • 57 Mays looks much better scanned.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    That 56 Mays is awesome, and it's no surprise it came from Jeff. He consistently has the best looking "cards for the grade" of anyone. Many are bump worthy. Doesn't mean PSA will oblige of course. Regardless, you have an awesome group of cards there Keith.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection

<< <i>That 56 Mays is awesome, and it's no surprise it came from Jeff. He consistently has the best looking "cards for the grade" of anyone. Many are bump worthy. Doesn't mean PSA will oblige of course. Regardless, you have an awesome group of cards there Keith. >>

Thank you for the nice note, and I found that out at the National last year where I visited his table. Probably have picked up 80% of my recent purchases this way, and seems like every one of his cards was well centered no matter what year or grade - has 5's and 6's with the eye appeal of 8's. Only downside is my baseball card budget goes out the window when he gets new stuff in stock!image
    Thanks Todd and Keith- I appreciate your nice words!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980